Alignment after many upgrades

CO5OTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Has anyone installed a bunch of suspension goodies all at once and then have an alignment performed? During the winter I installed Steeda; Dual Rate springs, Camber plates, Non adjustable pro-action shocks and struts, Front PP Style lateral and tension links(Increased ball stud height to correct roll center), Rear vertical links, Adjustable toe links, subframe alignment dowel pins, Front and rear swaybars, IRS subframe support braces, extreme G-Trac. The car is being towed to a speed shop today to have the alignment done. I know the car is way off because I tried to drive it maybe 50 yards and it was pulling hard right. Just concerned and wondering if anyone has ever had a shop tell them they can't do it.
Sponsored

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Yes, had the local tire shops decline to align my car. I used to take it to Steeda but they moved to Georgia. Now I need an alignment after the BMR K-Member install, pulls slighty right. I live in S. Florida so Steeda was essential for us for 30 years.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
You should be fine, I did something similar but did my best to match all adjustable bits to their factory position.

If you can eyeball where you went wrong with the toe on your front end you might make it driveable enough to head to the shop without chewing your tires up.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I’ll also recommend you spend some coin and go to a good shop that will spend the time dialing in your adjustments/thrust angles so it all rolls properly.

OP
OP
CO5OTE

CO5OTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The car should be arriving there soon. I sent it to a Nissan dealer. They have the machine to do the Gt-R, plus the guy who does alignments is a drift guy so I'm really banking on this working out. Finger crossed...

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
The car should be arriving there soon. I sent it to a Nissan dealer. They have the machine to do the Gt-R, plus the guy who does alignments is a drift guy so I'm really banking on this working out. Finger crossed...
That’s exactly the type of shop you need.

any place that supports motorsports/general enthusiast vehicles is the place to be.

I happily pay $150-$200 for a 4 wheel alignment at my place. They get me dialed in and rolling beautifully with the specs I desire.

Since you have a bunch of new parts have you provided them with some
numbers that you’d like?

I spend a ton of time just cruising the street/some backroad fun and have ~-1.5 deg camber and 1/32 (or whatever minute degree) of toe in. No issues with traction/turns/tire wear from me.

OP
OP
CO5OTE

CO5OTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, I got specs from Steeda.

Front camber -1.6 on both sides. It must be even on both sides

Caster +7.0(+/- .25). Must be the same on both sides

Front toe +.02 per side, total toe +.04, this is toe in

Rear camber -1.5 on both sides. It must be the same on both sides

Rear toe +0.15 per side total toe +0.30, this is toe in

Thrust angle must be zero.

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I got specs from Steeda.

Front camber -1.6 on both sides. It must be even on both sides

Caster +7.0(+/- .25). Must be the same on both sides

Front toe +.02 per side, total toe +.04, this is toe in

Rear camber -1.5 on both sides. It must be the same on both sides

Rear toe +0.15 per side total toe +0.30, this is toe in

Thrust angle must be zero.
Sweet! You won’t be disappointed.

OP
OP
CO5OTE

CO5OTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did Steeda shut down the Florida location?

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Hope that OP doesn't mind if I piggy-back on his thread. I'm thinking about doing sway bars, springs, and camber plates at a buddy's workshop. He said he could do a basic alignment but not a professional one. I live about 3,5 hours away and was going to have my local shop do the alignment. Do you think it would be risky to drive for that long without a professional alignment?

Sponsored
OP
OP
CO5OTE

CO5OTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No worries man! Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, you are further than me though from an alignment shop. After driving my car that short distance and the way it reacted, I was just way too worried about driving mine(Only an hour) but over a pretty significant mountain road. That's why I had my car towed. Just a little piece of mind, knowing I wouldn't break something or kill myself fighting the wheel. Honestly, once you have everything done, test drive it, but ease into any kind of speed. If it feels ok then you are probably fine. I have had several mustangs before and done many suspension upgraded on those, but they never reacted the way this car did. That's why I opted to tow. Either way be safe and have fun with the project!

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Hope that OP doesn't mind if I piggy-back on his thread. I'm thinking about doing sway bars, springs, and camber plates at a buddy's workshop. He said he could do a basic alignment but not a professional one. I live about 3,5 hours away and was going to have my local shop do the alignment. Do you think it would be risky to drive for that long without a professional alignment?
the risk is tire wear, if you’re buying tires just eyeball the toe.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thank you, Justin! The thing is if I run into the same issue as you, I'll be somewhat stuck in a different city (not that they don't have alignment shops there but that would be an extra hassle). I guess I can either roll the dice, or plan for it and send my car to an alignment shop in my buddy's city, or have everything done locally, including parts install. My buddy would do it for free though so that's probably $800 or so saved. He is a mechanical engineer and car guy so he knows what he's doing. I think I'll ask him for his recommendation and then decide what to do.

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Has anyone installed a bunch of suspension goodies all at once and then have an alignment performed? During the winter I installed Steeda; Dual Rate springs, Camber plates, Non adjustable pro-action shocks and struts, Front PP Style lateral and tension links(Increased ball stud height to correct roll center), Rear vertical links, Adjustable toe links, subframe alignment dowel pins, Front and rear swaybars, IRS subframe support braces, extreme G-Trac. The car is being towed to a speed shop today to have the alignment done. I know the car is way off because I tried to drive it maybe 50 yards and it was pulling hard right. Just concerned and wondering if anyone has ever had a shop tell them they can't do it.
The alignment dowel pins alone could throw it way out. There should be no issue. It just might take them a while. Dialing in the rear chamber using the OEM adjustment points isn't the easiest. I spent $160 for front/rear.

Check your steering wheel alignment immediately. Some techs lean in through the driver window to set wheel center instead of getting in the car.

Jpump

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1(Need For Green)
I did all this to my car in October except for sway bars. I drove it to the shop about 30 miles from my house. It drove like shit and I shaved a little life off my new tires, but after the alignment, my car drove great on the way home.

Most places I called said they wouldn't be able to do an alignment with the parts I mentioned, or they would have to see the car first, then tell me if they could align it. In the end, I paid around $300, but I had them look over my work, settle my suspension bushings, fix my exhaust that slide back off the x-pipe a little and install my bumpsteer kit.
Sponsored