Sponsored

Al Oppenheiser: No 4 cylinder for the 6th Gen Camaro.

Dyno

Camaro Chief Al Oppenheiser: Next-Gen Camaro Will Not Offer A Four-Cylinder

In a bid to offer a more refined, efficient, and nimble car that will be competitive not only in North America, but in Europe as well as in other parts of the world, Ford has said it will offer a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the next-generation 2015 Mustang. This has led to speculation that General Motors will follow suit and offer a four-banger in the next-gen 2015 (or 2016) Camaro.

According to AutoGuide, a four cylinder engine option will not find its way under the hood of the next Camaro, at least not if Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser has anything to do with it.

“We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards for cars will jump from an average of 27.5 MPG, where it has been since 1990, to 37.8 MPG by 2016. This mandated increase is forcing automakers to downsize engines, some of which have been removing two cylinders while adding forced induction such as turbo-charging. As such, some V8s are being replaced with turbo-charged six-cylinders, and naturally-aspirated six-cylinders have been eschewed in favor of boosted fours.

For its part, General Motors is no longer offering a six-cylinder engine in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu or Buick Regal, opting to solely offer powerful turbo-charged four-bangers. But The General has also been able to avoid downsizing its engines in its all-new full-size pickup trucks such as the 2014 Silverado and 2014 Sierra. Instead of downsizing, GM elected to engineer an all-new eight-cylinder engine line called EcoTec3 with a host of modern technologies such as direct injection, variable valve timing, and active fuel management, also known as cylinder deactivation. By contrast, cross-town rival Ford has fully embraced the downsizing trend, and is experiencing a great degree of success with its EcoBoost four- and six-cylinder powerplants.

Oppenheiser addressed the possible future demise of V8 engines, saying that, “In the future, something I don’t think the public realizes yet, there may be a day when nobody, Ford, Chrysler or GM has a V8, or if they do it would be a very highly-priced V8 because you’ve got to add your whole stable of cars and come up with a fuel economy number”.

He also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on.

“We’ve established what the Camaro is. And if the Camaro ceases to become a Camaro, you’ve got to consider, do you take Camaro out in the future.”

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dyno

I'm surprised no one is talking about this yet.

It's interesting the 6th Gen Mustang and 6th Gen Camaro are going in different directions. There's always been a lot of parity.

Is this a good decision on GM's part?

OP
OP

PremiumT

If you ask me it's GM's loss.

Offering a 4 cylinder turbo makes a ton of sense from both a fuel economy/CAFE point of view and a business one. Only muscle head egos think offering a 4 cyl is going to ruin the image of the Mustang or Camaro.

Disclosure: I am one of the people that may not have considered the 6G Mustang otherwise.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
That attitude could very well once again lead to the demise of the Camaro...while the Mustang lives on.

Time will tell.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
What is the Camaro? An oversized bloated SLOW piggy. Keep going that route al, you will destroy the label again.

Sponsored

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
"He also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on."

Lots of bloat to remove from the Camaro and if I were a Camaro fan I would not like the sound of this. On the other hand maybe this signals that GM is working on a BRZ sized competitor.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
He also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on.
So.... he would rather the Camaro die than adapt to the times???

Makes sense though -- GM isn't the most flexible in mind, or practice. Of course, that's partly what led to their needing the bailout in the first place.

OP
OP

GTsquid

GM is exempt from CAFE? Good to know. If they want the Alpha Camaro to have longevity I think this is a bad idea.

And the "mine is bigger than yours" game is played out. If they want to win that war let them have it. I hope Ford doesn't engage in this pissing contest and goes the lighter and smaller direction.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Wow pig headed much? Yes I'm sure Ford wants every horsepower and cylinder in their pony car too, hence why you make a turbo 4 to offset the mpg loss... cause some of us want v8s too. I mean come on, with that line of thinking the day when a camaros doesn't have a v8 will be a lot sooner than a mustang!

bmxbaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Chevy has already talked publicly about a a hybrid or electric Corvette for a future model. I don't see why they wouldn't go down same path with Camaro some day. the internal combustion engine can't last forever and you know the V8 will be the first to go. I'm personally excited to see engine tech evolve and would have no problem buying low cylinder or electric based performance car as long as the performance, hp and tq didn't suffer. I don't see why you would stop calling a Camaro a Camaro if it was still high performance. Same goes for the Mustang or any modern muscle car.

Sponsored

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
CAFE is demanding 54.6MPG average by 2025. Not a good move on GM's part if this is true. The Camaro already lags in fuel econ compared to the Mustang, especially highway mpg's.

That said, weight loss discussion should be factored in too. If the 6th generation Alpha platform is going to be that much lighter, big weight reduction could be the strategy instead of lower displacement, and not an altogether bad one if it works.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
If you ask me it's GM's loss.

Offering a 4 cylinder turbo makes a ton of sense from both a fuel economy/CAFE point of view and a business one. Only muscle head egos think offering a 4 cyl is going to ruin the image of the Mustang or Camaro.

Disclosure: I am one of the people that may not have considered the 6G Mustang otherwise.
I'm not sure the Mustang can claim it would ruin the image since there was a Turbo 4 Cylinder in the early 80's in the Mustang (See Turbo GT followed by the SVO's) and a N/A 4 cylinder for almost 2 decades....

I for one, could care less about the V6 and V8 options in the next generation Mustang... the V8 simply has more power than I want for what I do with my car (autocross) so I don't see any real reason to buy one when the Turbo 4 will be lighter, better balanced and still damn quick. That's not to say I don't love the sound of the 4.6L 3V or the new 5.0L's or V8's for that matter, I LOVE that sound, but I have other goals for my car then making it sound good (my exhaust on my 09 is bone stock FWIW).

OP
OP

Ponywars

I saw this over on C5 too. A lot of them applauding this like they just won some big victory. Hooray for fewer choices!

AFAIK the V6 and V8 are not going anywhere so I don't see what the hoopla is all about.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Al O. is in denial. That's all.

It sucks for Mustang fans though too -- if Camaro were to eventually go away, it means the Ford engineers don't need to work as hard on the Mustang. We need the competition to stay, and we need it to directly compete.

OP
OP

aardvark

Pure idiocy on the part of GM... UNLESS they build a small, RWD car below the Camaro (i.e., something along the lines of the Code 130R they paraded around the auto shows a couple years ago). They could put four-bangers in the small car and keep V6s/V8s in the Camaro.

Considering GM's track record, though, idiocy is the more likely explanation.
Sponsored