Airaid…Oiled vs Dry?

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What @Paul McWhiskey said! Just from what I know, and this mainly mostly pertains to K&N....oiled filters (K&N) flow sooo well because you can drive a small car through the size of the filter elements. And they rely on the oil for the filtration. There are oil studies (Blackstone) that show higher silica levels (i.e. sand) in oil analysis with oiled filters vs the better filtering capabilites of a dry filter. This may not still be true (haven't kept up with it), and certainly may not apply to say an oiled Airaid filter, but the data is etched in my brain and I won't run a K&N nor an oiled filter because of it. Regardless of what data is up to date, you'll find no argument that a name brand, top quality, dry air filter will filter great and serve you very very well.
Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Just to toss this out too: There have been owners report that oiled air filters CAN have a tendency to foul your mass air flow sensor. Use the FP DRY.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just to toss this out too: There have been owners report that oiled air filters CAN have a tendency to foul your mass air flow sensor. Use the FP DRY.
and in most instances where the MAF sensor is "soiled" is because the user applied too much oil to the filter element. The element isn't meant to be "saturated", it should have a light coating.

I stopped using "oiled" air filter elements years ago and only use the aftermarket dry type. While the oiled units may be good, per press, forum DIYs, and periodical write ups, to me it's a PIA to clean and then let dry because they're not supposed to be heat dried, but natural dry. Then there is the cost of needing the proper cleaning solution and the filter oil to reoil. The other thing too is an oiled filter does clog the pleats much quicker than a dry element.

RRM350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yep, fouled a MAF on my 03 with a K&N oiled. I'll stick to dry

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hahahahah…my “Ford Performance” air filter came in an Airaid box, LOL.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Something like this I bet? Ha!

Screenshot_20220915-203622_Gallery.jpg
LOL - a Ford Performance Airaid filter…. I guess it was easier just to send it out as is, than it would have been to stick it into a Ford Performance box….

So here it comes…. Any price difference between an Airaid Ford Performance filter and an Airaid filter? 😁

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
LOL - a Ford Performance Airaid filter…. I guess it was easier just to send it out as is, than it would have been to stick it into a Ford Performance box….

So here it comes…. Any price difference between an Airaid Ford Performance filter and an Airaid filter? 😁
There is a price difference between the K&N drop in and the FP drop in (same K&N) so I would assume the same holds true for the Airaid and FP Airaid. Extra $15 to have the FP label slapped on the box

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Soooo, funny story. At Steeda when I bought mine, the only reason I bought the Airaid was it was about $15 cheaper. At the time, I didn’t think about the wet/dry thing, thought they were the same, and bought the cheaper Airaid.

When I went back this week to get the Ford, the price had come down and they were about the same price.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Thanks for all of the info Gents !

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Adding my old (new) oiled filter to the classifieds.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I have both, the Mustang I run dry, no difference. The oiled was the first type to hit the market K&N. Today they also offer the dry, that is what I run. Not wanting to buy more filter elements, I still have 3 of the wet type.
Sponsored