Sponsored

Aftermarket System - still need to flatten factory EQ?

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Hello.

I have an aftermarket sound system in my 2020 GT500 (b&o system). I have a PAC controller (attached between the factory amp and head unit) going to aftermarket amps powering the panel/door speakers and sub (all aftermarket). I am also planning to add an aftermarket eq (RF dsr1).

I am not sure if it is still helpful for me to change the factory eq. Have any of my other changes made leveling the factory eq moot, or would this still help to improve sounds/control?

in case it would still be helpful, can anyone post instructions for making this change in forscan on a 2020? I read somewhere that the codes are a little different for 2020 - could be wrong.
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If you use a DSR1 as integration device you don't need to flatten the factory EQ anymore. It's all done in the idatalink part of the DSR1.

OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If you use a DSR1 as integration device you don't need to flatten the factory EQ anymore. It's all done in the idatalink part of the DSR1.
Thanks. I used the PAC to get the audio signal from the factory head unit to my aftermarket amps. The installer says the dsr1 would be added to handle eq functions. Does that sound right?

so you’re saying that because I will be getting the dsr1, I won’t need to mess with settings in forscan?

I was very disappointed when I listened to my aftermarket system after installation yesterday. Everything up front was very very bright, with little mid response coming through. Installer says adding the dsr1 will make a drastic improvement. Is that a fair expectation?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The other option is to use the JL audio Twk to control eq functions.

Thanks. I used the PAC to get the audio signal from the factory head unit to my aftermarket amps. The installer says the dsr1 would be added to handle eq functions. Does that sound right?

so you’re saying that because I will be getting the dsr1, I won’t need to mess with settings in forscan?

I was very disappointed when I listed to my aftermarket system after installation yesterday. Everything up front was very very bright, with little mid response coming through. Installer says adding the dsr1 will make a drastic improvement. Is that a fair expectation?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP

I was very disappointed when I listened to my aftermarket system after installation yesterday. Everything up front was very very bright, with little mid response coming through. Installer says adding the dsr1 will make a drastic improvement. Is that a fair expectation?
The DSR1 and AF02 harness would replace your PAC unit altogether.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you’re using the PAC AmpPro, you can turn off the eq with the AmpPro using your laptop.

46FF786B-E5F6-4B89-910E-44BAF4DB7B07.png

BA8B0E5B-D6D7-42D5-B4C9-A568DDD6F0E4.png

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT

If you have the PAC-Audio AP4-FD21, then i wouldn't use the DSR1, but a better processor like every DSP from Helix, JL, Mosconi whatever.
The PAC-Audio AP4-FD21 will do everything the DSR1 does integration wise. You already have that, so so need to waste money on the mediocre DSP functionality of the DSR1.
Get yourself a good DSP instead like from the aforementioned manufacturers.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If you’re using the PAC AmpPro, you can turn off the eq with the AmpPro using your laptop.

46FF786B-E5F6-4B89-910E-44BAF4DB7B07.png

BA8B0E5B-D6D7-42D5-B4C9-A568DDD6F0E4.png
That's not what he means.
This is just the bass, mid and treble control in the headunit. What he is talking about is the factory EQ within the DSP of the B&O system to make the cheap speakers sound a bit better.

OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
If you have the PAC-Audio AP4-FD21, then i wouldn't use the DSR1, but a better processor like every DSP from Helix, JL, Mosconi whatever.
The PAC-Audio AP4-FD21 will do everything the DSR1 does integration wise. You already have that, so so need to waste money on the mediocre DSP functionality of the DSR1.

This is very helpful. Thank you. When you say dsp, are your referring to the Twk 88 from JL? The fix 86 is a dsp right?, but I thought the amp pro was supposed to replace it. Would you pair the Twk 88 with the amp pro?

My system is WAY too bright. I wonder if my installer failed to adjust any of the settings in the amp pro.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I don’t believe that the AmpPro removes the factory EQ curve.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Would adding a JL Twk 88 do this?

I’m very confused by all of this stuff, so I appreciate your help.

I just need to know whether I can make this system sound good by adding a twk88, or if I’ll still need to use forscan to make eq changes. Or if there is something else I’ll need.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I don’t believe that the AmpPro removes the factory EQ curve.
Usually the Amp-Pros do exactly that.
Anyway. A DSP is the only way to Fix the OPs problem with the system being to bright.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I’m very confused by all of this stuff, so I appreciate your help.

I just need to know whether I can make this system sound good by adding a twk88, or if I’ll still need to use forscan to make eq changes. Or if there is something else I’ll need.
Yes you or your installer can make the system sound great with a capable DSP.
With the Mustangs premium sound systems all speaker specific EQ is done in the amplifier, not the radio. So you are good to go.

OP
OP

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Yes you or your installer can make the system sound great with a capable DSP.
With the Mustangs premium sound systems all speaker specific EQ is done in the amplifier, not the radio. So you are good to go.

Perfect. Thank you.

Would you consider the Twk the best option, or is there another preferred route?
Sponsored