Sponsored

Aftermarket shifter. Body mount or trans mount?!?!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Entirely up to you and how you want to deal with reverse, but I'm ok with the lock-out. If anyone switched to the flat stick and have some positive feedback I'd love to hear it as well. I also like the design and fitment options fo the Barton, so I'm going with that.

Also on a side note after watching all of these installation videos I'm going to commit to dropping the transmission and replacing/upgrading the clutch at the same time. Just haven't settled on what clutch to get.
I agree you half way pull the trans To get to the shifter so whats another 8 bolts or so...
Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
I am doing a trans mounted Barton. I hear that trans mounted shifters are a lot better more precise.

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
MGW all day every day and twice on Sunday. Never had the blowfish bracket but did have the barton. Used to have really bad grinding issues at 7500 rpm wot shifts at the strip. The barton fixed the problem but I like the way the MGW felt better as well as the MGW fixing my problem as well. Went through 3 transmissions before I switched shifters and never had a problem after taht.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I am doing a trans mounted Barton. I hear that trans mounted shifters are a lot better more precise.
I spoke to barton directly, he said body mount it is what he recommends. Unless you are literally tracking the car daily/ and at that level he said you won't notice a difference. It will be more firm and basically zero nvh body mounted, and I have 18k on mine now and haven't had a single missed shift. Its my DD/romp on it between lights/highway though.

I only did body because barton recommended it. Took about 2-3 hours to install with a friend on jack stands. I wouldn't trade the barton body for anything.

End of story is you'll love it either way

~~~~!!!!! PS I recommend before putting everything all back together (*which I did without testing) was the stupid side springs, goes on left and right of the shift gates, they are optional. They add resistance to the shifter. I made it out the driveway and HATED THE DAMN THINGS. TRY THEM BEFORE YOU PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER TO MAKE SURE YOU LIKE THE RESISTENCE AND WITHOUT THEM!

It felt like I was working out to go into first/reverse or 5/6. It was so much pressure left or right, I drove around block, tore it apart, tossed those springs in trash. I wanted the ability to toss them left to right easily with no effort. I felt like my damn bicep/triceps was actually flexed trying to shift.

Some love it, some hate it. But def try it before you reassemble, cost me another 30-40minutes breaking the center console back down to toss them out. Lol

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I spoke to barton directly, he said body mount it is what he recommends. Unless you are literally tracking the car daily/ and at that level he said you won't notice a difference. It will be more firm and basically zero nvh body mounted, and I have 18k on mine now and haven't had a single missed shift. Its my DD/romp on it between lights/highway though.

I only did body because barton recommended it. Took about 2-3 hours to install with a friend on jack stands. I wouldn't trade the barton body for anything.

End of story is you'll love it either way

~~~~!!!!! PS I recommend before putting everything all back together (*which I did without testing) was the stupid side springs, goes on left and right of the shift gates, they are optional. They add resistance to the shifter. I made it out the driveway and HATED THE DAMN THINGS. TRY THEM BEFORE YOU PUT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER TO MAKE SURE YOU LIKE THE RESISTENCE AND WITHOUT THEM!

It felt like I was working out to go into first/reverse or 5/6. It was so much pressure left or right, I drove around block, tore it apart, tossed those springs in trash. I wanted the ability to toss them left to right easily with no effort. I felt like my damn bicep/triceps was actually flexed trying to shift.

Some love it, some hate it. But def try it before you reassemble, cost me another 30-40minutes breaking the center console back down to toss them out. Lol
Springs have a break in period so it would loosen up after a few miles.

He recommended body bexause people cry over NVH... I'm putting mine in this weekend it's going on the trans the way God intended

Sponsored

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
I went MGW and could not be happier, the quality and workmanship is out of this world. I you go this route and self install hit me up for a few tips.

FWIW: I noticed zero extra nvh...

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have the Blowfish racing mount that attaches the factory shifter to the trans. Excellent feel, no lockout, easy install (if you have access to a lift). Love it.
Installed mine, no hoist. Biggest problem I had was the tunnel boot dropped along with the shifter as the rear shifter body mount was removed. It was hard to refit from under the car. I wedged the shifter so it wouldn't drop from it's own weight while installing the Blowfish bracket. One of the few mods I've done with really noticeable results. Made sure bracket was aligned, raised and clearanced as close to tunnel as possible so shifter was in original position and there wouldn't be tugging on the tunnel boot. OEM shifter is fine now although it could use a white shift knob for accent.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Cars have been transmounted for the past what 200 years the manual gearbox has existed? This bodymount douchebagery is a relatively new trend...

Personally trans is the way man. And yes shifter walk is supposed to happen and what you want... Fuck "NVH" everyone's obsessing over that... Its an MT82 you have NVH stock...

To me its like complaining that the guy about to kill you got dirt on the carpet... Kind of inconsequential in the grand scheme of things
I have quite a bit of NVH on my stock shifter. I won't notice a damn thing switching.
Sponsored