Sponsored

Aftermarket Navigation/Stereo Update?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I was just wondering if anyone has put an aftermarket floating display in their Mustang.

I've had my Mustang for 6 years now and am looking at doing some upgrades. I've seen some of the aftermarket stereos on AmericanMuscle but they aren't really my thing. I put this in my other car recently and it's a nice update (see attached picture) with wireless CarPlay. I have CarPlay in my current Mustang, but in general as time is going by the stock stereo is starting to feel a bit dated for me even with CarPlay and the reason I'm asking here is bc I might want to get a bigger display to modernize the car since I'm not planning on selling it.

tempImage24EyQB.png
Sponsored

luv2fly3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I don't have a "floating" unit, but I put a Kenwood HU in my '15 GT. I also just upgraded my front speakers and added an amp to power them. Works and looks great! Not sure I'd want a floating HU like that, but I'm sure they're out there. Mine is the DMX9707S, which brought wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto to my '15 since Sync 2 didn't offer that. With the interface I purchased with it, all of my steering wheel controls, dash controls, climate controls and engine info integrate with it. I love it!

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That Kenwood unit looks sweet (and they have always made great products) but why not consider just dropping a current Sync3 system in there?

luv2fly3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
That Kenwood unit looks sweet (and they have always made great products) but why not consider just dropping a current Sync3 system in there?
For what a Sync 3 upgrade would have cost, it just didn't make sense to me. As I have now just upgraded my front speakers and put in a subwoofer, with new amps, I was grateful for the pre-outs as well as the additional equalization, delay and other features I have that are built into the Kenwood. While I could have accomplished some of the same with a different approach had I stuck with a Ford HU, I am very happy with the overall install and what it brought. There were tradeoffs for sure, but I don't regret going to an aftermarket HU at all with how it integrated.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
For what a Sync 3 upgrade would have cost, it just didn't make sense to me. As I have now just upgraded my front speakers and put in a subwoofer, with new amps, I was grateful for the pre-outs as well as the additional equalization, delay and other features I have that are built into the Kenwood. While I could have accomplished some of the same with a different approach had I stuck with a Ford HU, I am very happy with the overall install and what it brought. There were tradeoffs for sure, but I don't regret going to an aftermarket HU at all with how it integrated.
Totally understand. I was wondering if OP had considered Sync 3.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I have the Pioneer floating headunit waiting to go in. Just have to find time and a break from this Texas heat.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I have the Pioneer floating headunit waiting to go in. Just have to find time and a break from this Texas heat.
Any pictures of the Pioneer floating head unit installed?

Iā€™m leaning towards getting a Kenwood DMX1037S installed. Hereā€™s a picture of what it would look like. This is a render I found online as far as I can tell but it gives you a good idea of what it would look like.

FAED07E3-528C-4EDC-8D8F-E5A85ACA498B.jpeg

ARAMP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I think those floating displays are terrible. To me, they look like an afterthought, just covering vents, gauges, etc. However, I thought it might be cool to graft one into the dash.

I purchased a used dash bezel off ebay to see what the possibilities look like of cutting it out and filling in, etc. It looks like it might be do-able to cut basically from the CD slot and vol/tone knobs up. The only issue it that there's a one piece circuit board on the back side that has the hvac controls that would also need to be cut.

Bezel.jpg

I may do it one day, though right now, the sync 3 is good enough.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any pictures of the Pioneer floating head unit installed?

Iā€™m leaning towards getting a Kenwood DMX1037S installed. Hereā€™s a picture of what it would look like. This is a render I found online as far as I can tell but it gives you a good idea of what it would look like.

FAED07E3-528C-4EDC-8D8F-E5A85ACA498B.jpeg
I guess something like this isn't plug and play? I really like that. šŸ˜

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I think those floating displays are terrible. To me, they look like an afterthought, just covering vents, gauges, etc.

With CarPlay and a lot of other applications lose some of the functionality of the steering wheel controls. One main reason I'm considering a floating display is that it brings the display closer to the shifter and is less of a reach to access the touch screen.

I personally like the look of the render I posted of the Kenwood but yes a lot of these floating displays would look weird in the Mustang.

Sponsored

Qu8Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
With CarPlay and a lot of other applications lose some of the functionality of the steering wheel controls. One main reason I'm considering a floating display is that it brings the display closer to the shifter and is less of a reach to access the touch screen.

I personally like the look of the render I posted of the Kenwood but yes a lot of these floating displays would look weird in the Mustang.
I just put in an Alpine ILX-507 and I did not loose my steering wheel control. There are 2 things that need to be purchased when you get the radio, an MFT1 dashkit and a maestro RR. Best to get the radio from crutchfield or at least check and see whatā€™s needed for your install as crutchfield give recommendations for the install.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I just put in an Alpine ILX-507 and I did not loose my steering wheel control. There are 2 things that need to be purchased when you get the radio, an MFT1 dashkit and a maestro RR. Best to get the radio from crutchfield or at least check and see whatā€™s needed for your install as crutchfield give recommendations for the install.
Thank you.

I fall into the small category of people that uses Sirius XM all the time and the steering wheel control functions are limited from everything Iā€™ve seen. Instead of going from preset to preset it goes from like Channel 3 to Channel 4. Unless Iā€™m wrong and you have Sirius and have a different experience?

Qu8Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped using Sirius XM some time ago. But you can program how the buttons functon when you program the idatalink maestro RR. It's a simple process.
Sponsored