Sponsored

After 4.5 long years…

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I’m finally able to get back into society and be a productive working member again. Gangrenous gallbladder that was missed back in 2018 almost killed me and set me back in every way imaginable. After 6 surgeries and spending around $70k on surgeries insurance didn’t want to cover, I finally feel close to normal again. I’ll never be 100% again and that sucks but I’m grateful to be where I’m at now. I could technically get disability and ride the wave but that’s not the kinda person I am.

Luckily, a buddy of mine who works at a performance shop on mainly Porsche, got me a job as a tech without certification. He believes in me enough and my skills to have vouched for me and although I’m thankful, I’m also anxious/nervous. It’s a pretty cool opportunity and I’m gonna try and make the most of it. Was curious to see if people here with more life experience have any good words of advice as I encounter this next chapter in life.

hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy new year! Stay safe out there
Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I’m finally able to get back into society and be a productive working member again. Gangrenous gallbladder that was missed back in 2018 almost killed me and set me back in every way imaginable. After 6 surgeries and spending around $70k on surgeries insurance didn’t want to cover, I finally feel close to normal again. I’ll never be 100% again and that sucks but I’m grateful to be where I’m at now. I could technically get disability and ride the wave but that’s not the kinda person I am.

Luckily, a buddy of mine who works at a performance shop on mainly Porsche, got me a job as a tech without certification. He believes in me enough and my skills to have vouched for me and although I’m thankful, I’m also anxious/nervous. It’s a pretty cool opportunity and I’m gonna try and make the most of it. Was curious to see if people here with more life experience have any good words of advice as I encounter this next chapter in life.

hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy new year! Stay safe out there
Glad you are back to feeling productive and alive.
The hole it leaves not having a job or a meaning while sick, is no fun. Having Doctors hand you or advise you to think about full disability is a hard kick to the balls .
Only advise I can give you, is take nothing for granted, and remember tomorrow may never come. Understand your new normal and don't let anyone force you to push over that, If it will put you 5 steps backwards. I did, and It made the 2nd road back a lot harder. Just remember that even though it sucked to not be productive and it (at least for me) makes you feel worthless. you have to keep a work/life balance and not go full boar on the productive side, and blowing off time to enjoy life,friends and family.
I felt so guilty that while I was having health issues that I wasn't being productive, once I got the green light to get back to it, I went overboard trying in my mind to make up for the time of being un able to do much of anything. This put me 10 steps backwards, and only made coming back the 2nd time even harder as everyone from friends,family to co workers wondered when they get the call that I flat lined.
It is a hard balance, and you have to do you. and not what your boss wants, or anyone else.
I balled my eyes out when the doctors handed me the paper work for full disability and told me I should think hard about filing for it. That was over a decade ago. and I am still working 50 hours a week with all the ot I want. making it hard to keep that work/life balance but just remembering the doctors handing me those forms is enough to force me to pass on a bunch of ot . As I never EVER want to be in those shoes ever again. The feeling of worthlessness was crushing. Sadly I took it out on everyone around me, I was not fun to be around, while I felt like a worthless waste of space.
Bottom line, take it slow, and don't over do it. going 3 steps forward only to go ten steps back is no fun, trust me.
My medical issue was my body would randomly go into a coma like state and with no warning. They found what was the cause, but that took me from what I loved as a side job.
So I now can only watch others do it as a career or a hobby. and that is it's own prison .
Good luck with your 2nd chance and enjoy the time on this rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you are back to feeling productive and alive.
The hole it leaves not having a job or a meaning while sick, is no fun. Having Doctors hand you or advise you to think about full disability is a hard kick to the balls .
Only advise I can give you, is take nothing for granted, and remember tomorrow may never come. Understand your new normal and don't let anyone force you to push over that, If it will put you 5 steps backwards. I did, and It made the 2nd road back a lot harder. Just remember that even though it sucked to not be productive and it (at least for me) makes you feel worthless. you have to keep a work/life balance and not go full boar on the productive side, and blowing off time to enjoy life,friends and family.
I felt so guilty that while I was having health issues that I wasn't being productive, once I got the green light to get back to it, I went overboard trying in my mind to make up for the time of being un able to do much of anything. This put me 10 steps backwards, and only made coming back the 2nd time even harder as everyone from friends,family to co workers wondered when they get the call that I flat lined.
It is a hard balance, and you have to do you. and not what your boss wants, or anyone else.
I balled my eyes out when the doctors handed me the paper work for full disability and told me I should think hard about filing for it. That was over a decade ago. and I am still working 50 hours a week with all the ot I want. making it hard to keep that work/life balance but just remembering the doctors handing me those forms is enough to force me to pass on a bunch of ot . As I never EVER want to be in those shoes ever again. The feeling of worthlessness was crushing. Sadly I took it out on everyone around me, I was not fun to be around, while I felt like a worthless waste of space.
Bottom line, take it slow, and don't over do it. going 3 steps forward only to go ten steps back is no fun, trust me.
My medical issue was my body would randomly go into a coma like state and with no warning. They found what was the cause, but that took me from what I loved as a side job.
So I now can only watch others do it. and that is it's own prison .
Good luck with your 2nd chance and enjoy the time on this rock.
Damn man, I’m sorry you had to go through that. That’s a lot more dangerous I feel like than what I had but I’m glad they got you sorted non the less.
Oh definitely will be taking my time and I told that to my buddy and the owner that as I appreciate them giving me a chance, I’m not going to kill myself to get something done and they are ok with that.
It’s definitely not something I anticipated happening at 28 years old and it sucked because everyone my age was either starting their career, having a family, or just doing things people should be doing and not in and out of hospitals. But I learned a lot and I see things from a different perspective than I used to so that’s a positive I can take with me.
I was advised to no longer powerlift and that was a passion I’ve had since 2003 so I still hit the gym but only to tone up and lift moderately heavy, so I get what you mean by not being able to do what you truly love but at least we are alive and living near to normal lives.
hopefully all is still well with you and hope you have a merry Christmas!

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
merry Christmas!
The post was mostly for you to remember to take it slow. But thanks for the kind words.
The Having to stand on the sidelines and watch others when you still have that itch to scratch is pure hell. Worse is people I know offering opportunity for a one time deal to strap in and scratch that itch and having to say no, when you really want to say hell ya. It really is a prison but the risk is too dam high.
So I have to enjoy it by living vicariously through others. And that is fine when watching from home, but when at an event. it is very depressing.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The post was mostly for you to remember to take it slow. But thanks for the kind words.
The Having to stand on the sidelines and watch others when you still have that itch to scratch is pure hell. Worse is people I know offering opportunity for a one time deal to strap in and scratch that itch and having to say no, when you really want to say hell ya. It really is a prison but the risk is too dam high.
So I have to enjoy it by living vicariously through others. And that is fine when watching from home, but when at an event. it is very depressing.
I know and I appreciate that. It’s cliche I know but it can always be worse. I developed a couple of other passions and even though it doesn’t exactly take the place of what I lost, they do make me happy and I’m just glad to still be here and not suffering like I was.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Eleven years ago my wife had a brain aneurysm sitting right next to me at an appointment with our portfolio manager. I did CPR (old school) on her and got her breathing again. Thirty-four days later (28 in ICU and 6 in a regular room) I brought her home and nursed her for several more weeks. She has NO DEFICITES and functions like it never happened. Six years ago she could not awaken me one morning and I ended up intubated in ICU for 7 days. Doctors preparing the family for my death. I am OK now and they never did determine why my kidneys were failing back then. We are both retired now and enjoying the hell out of life.

Moral of the story? Hang in there, Bro! No matter what cards life deals you stay in the game. I may not be able to go like I used to but I love watching life go by and am thankful the Lord has given me what I have. Had I lost my wife I am sure that my life would have changed immensely and probably not for the better. However, He saw something in both of us and our job is to do good with what we have left. Find joy in everything around you. It is there where you may not have seen it previously. It is only waiting for you. Give with all of your heart and you will be rewarded beyond imagination. Remember that Joy and Happiness are two different things.

And drive it like you stole it. Pedal to the metal! Referring to life here, not the car on the street. Only on the track.

Enjoy driving the car safely. Merry Christmas from two survivors to another and all the others.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Make the most of your new opportunity. Take up the challenge and be the best that you can. Can you work on getting certified on your own time? That'd be another feather in your cap. Good luck!

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make the most of your new opportunity. Take up the challenge and be the best that you can. Can you work on getting certified on your own time? That'd be another feather in your cap. Good luck!
Yeah I plan to get ASE certified. When I had gotten sick in early 2018, I was working for Ford and worked my way up from quicklube to mainline and they were supposed to send me to school while I worked there. Unfortunately lost that opportunity

But I feel like I’ll enjoy my time more learning how to work on different things and learn new stuff I didn’t know before.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Welcome back @jd_cobra glad to hear you were able to recover and have the ability to keep moving forward!

Best of luck with the new job, that was a very nice gesture of your friend and you’ll do great!

Take it easy and look out for #1 - you!
Sponsored