Advice needed on Torque converter

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
I’ve got a 18 GT with 10R80 Auto. FBO, exhaust and mild suspension work. Car is Lund Tuned for E85 and 93. Car puts down 483 RWHP and 438 Torque. The question is, is it worth getting a circle D torque converter and upgraded driveshaft? Was looking in the 3600-4000 stall range. Does anyone with a similar setup as mine have any real world time improvements over the stock converter and Driveshaft with a circle d an upgraded drive shaft? Or do I stick with the stock converter and DS bc the improvement isn’t worth the $3500+. Not looking for an aluminum DS as I’ve had them in the past on other s550’s and the vibration even after rotation and rebalance was ridiculous. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I had a circle D converter on my 16 mustang, same mods but tuned for 93. I saw a small improvement on the 60 ft. I think the price is for reliability, not for speed.

OP
OP
Old5.Oguy

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
I had a circle D converter on my 16 mustang, same mods but tuned for 93. I saw a small improvement on the 60 ft. I think the price is for reliability, not for speed.
Thanks for the input. Did you keep your stock Driveshaft?

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Thanks for the input. Did you keep your stock Driveshaft?
Yes I kept the stock driveshaft! I heard too many horror stories about peoples aluminum DS vibrations :like:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Or do I stick with the stock converter and DS bc the improvement isn’t worth the $3500+.
IMO if you're looking for better punch off the line, I would go with some 4.10 gears or so (depending on what you have now). The torque converter is locked from 2-10, so you're not getting much if any benefit of a higher stall unit over stock except in 1st gear which is rather short anyone on the 10R. A big benefit of a higher stall is the smaller RPM drop in between gears on a widely spaced 3-4-6 speed transmissions. With the tightly spaced gearing of the 10R you don't have that problem nor will you get the benefits anyway since again the converter is locked 100% of the time.

Save your money and go with more gear if you feel you're lacking out of the hole.

OP
OP
Old5.Oguy

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
IMO if you're looking for better punch off the line, I would go with some 4.10 gears or so (depending on what you have now). The torque converter is locked from 2-10, so you're not getting much if any benefit of a higher stall unit over stock except in 1st gear which is rather short anyone on the 10R. A big benefit of a higher stall is the smaller RPM drop in between gears on a widely spaced 3-4-6 speed transmissions. With the tightly spaced gearing of the 10R you don't have that problem nor will you get the benefits anyway since again the converter is locked 100% of the time.

Save your money and go with more gear if you feel you're lacking out of the hole.
I’ve got the 315’s which is great for boosted cars. I’d have to switch the whole pumpkin over for steeper gears. It’s basically a Sunday driver/occasional track visit.
Sponsored