Sponsored

Adding heat exchanger fans

jchristena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So, I'm running a KB 2.8LC setup and after driving in the early stages of summer in TX, I have to say the Whipple guys have it right with their 'kit' HE fan option. I had a dual fan setup on my Whipple GT500 and it did make a difference. It is definitely worth the tradeoff in noise to me. I get that they don't do a damn thing when moving maybe more than 50 mph and can actually hinder things a bit. That said, in Austin traffic, I am rotting at a standstill way more often than I am moving. Once heat soaked, you're pretty much screwed. I really don't like to beat on the car when my IAT2s are 135+.

So, has anyone with a KB(or a Whipple/or anything else that didn't get the kit) added fans? If so, what did you get? I don't so much care about the noise increase, but I need to keep these temps in check. The wiring seems simple if you don't care about a switch, or monitoring the temp to turn the fans on. +12v relay and ground...that seems to be it.

I was reading this thread and someone added Spal fans to their Whipple. Is this the way to go? Any other suggestions?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50930
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I made my own fan setup with SPAL low profile 10' curved blade fans, curved blade fans are supposed to make less noise as well. Its a simple install with a 30 amp relay. power wires and grounds are 8 gauge feeding the fans and the relay power on for the fans is tapped from the intercooler pump so it comes on when the car is started and off when engine is off.

SPAL 10" pusher low profile curved blade fans.
http://www.universalpartsinc.com/shopping/productDetails.aspx?i=749898&c=10492

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
KB 2.8LC kit doesn't have cooling fan option? What are the cylinder head temps when the IAT2s are 135+ ?

The fan listed above is rated at 8 amps. Will the two fans be running full power all the time ?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jchristena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
KB 2.8LC kit doesn't have cooling fan option? What are the cylinder head temps when the IAT2s are 135+ ?

The fan listed above is rated at 8 amps. Will the two fans be running full power all the time ?
No cooling fan option in the kit that I saw. I have the 170 tstat w/ supporting tune. In 90-100 degree sustained traffic, I see 190-200 cyl head temp.

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
The noise isn't so bad anyways, if you have the windows up you can't really hear it. I have the dual 11" spal fans from Whipple.

OP
OP

jchristena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
you call Boost Works in Katy and ask about the fan situation?
I asked Travis about fans when I bought the kit. He said I really don't need them and they hinder airflow. While I greatly respect what the man says, I need to try something here. Worst case, the temps get worse and I simply take the fuse out.

I realize I am asking a lot from the HE in 95+ degree weather, but even if I can bleed off 5-10 degrees that would be nice. I mean, it's going to be terrible when we hit 100 degrees plus...

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Most of the others twin screw setups offer the fans, so you can bet the data developed by Whipple and Roush both proves fan make a big difference. Not sure why Kenne Bell claims you don't need it, no way there system is running so efficiently that they don't need it. Look it's very simple to see that fans make a big difference, ask your self this would you run your engine without a cooling fan??? They are not that different in design the air to water intercooler system and engine cooling system. COOLING FANS MATTER!

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Boost Works Katy / Houston must have a lot of their KB cars on the road. Nobody has any heat issues? 20 miles of stop & go traffic under the blazing hot sun, no problem, supercharged 5.0 running cool as a cucumber, ready to deliver 700 hp at any time. :cool:

Do the aftermarket cooling fans have an option of clicking on & off? I wouldn't want them to stay on continuously, particularly at highway speed.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I made my own rocker switch mounted under the dash drivers side kick pane. Very easy, cut the power wire that turns on the relay and make a loop going to the interior with ta simple 3 post switch in the middle.