Added footwell ambient lighting

Plain17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ven
Vehicle(s)
17 EB Magnetic
I added an led strip light in the driver and passenger footwells by splicing into the dome light wire located in the passenger footwell. The newly installed lights works when you open the doors, however, the dome lights no longer come on when the doors are opened. But the maplights (same as dome lights) do work when the on/off buttons are pressed. Really puzzled, any ideas why dome lights don't come on when doors are opened?
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
im no electrician but maybe the dome light isnt getting enough voltage to turn on until the actual on/off switch is hit?

VenomousSVT

about to take the plunge
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger WideBody ScatPack
I added an led strip light in the driver and passenger footwells by splicing into the dome light wire located in the passenger footwell. The newly installed lights works when you open the doors, however, the dome lights no longer come on when the doors are opened. But the maplights (same as dome lights) do work when the on/off buttons are pressed. Really puzzled, any ideas why dome lights don't come on when doors are opened?
if it were me, rather than get your power from the under dash light, i would use the existing light to trigger a small relay. Let the relay handle the load from the led strips. This should clear up any issues that may be occurring with the dome light, proving its a voltage drop issue.

OP
OP

Plain17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ven
Vehicle(s)
17 EB Magnetic
im no electrician but maybe the dome light isnt getting enough voltage to turn on until the actual on/off switch is hit?
I suspected the same thing, I need to talk to an electrician!

OP
OP

Plain17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ven
Vehicle(s)
17 EB Magnetic
if it were me, rather than get your power from the under dash light, i would use the existing light to trigger a small relay. Let the relay handle the load from the led strips. This should clear up any issues that may be occurring with the dome light, proving its a voltage drop issue.
Thanks, I'll have to look into doing it this way.

VenomousSVT

about to take the plunge
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger WideBody ScatPack
Thanks, I'll have to look into doing it this way.
if you google the wiring you'll find very picture friendly how-to's. its a simple positive trigger relay diagram. :cheers:
Sponsored