Sponsored

Actual Lap Times at Road Courses for GT350 & GT350R

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Something also to consider..

The Corvette is seen as a status symbol, the Mustang, no matter what variant, is not.

It is??
Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Every car with FI has a problem with heat soak. Even MINIs warp their hood scoops because they get so hot.

Not exactly true. It is difficult to get heat soak issues in a '13-14 GT500 as Ford did a nice job with their H/E and pump configuration. I would say they learned from earlier models as they would heat soak bad. I installed a C&R heat exchanger in addition to a larger blower at 740 rwhp and ZERO heat soak. The problem can be solved. OEM's seem to overlook the volumetric efficiency part of the equation when it comes to FI.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Its a battle they will always fight trying to balance low end power/street manners and top end performance

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Chevy needs to admit they have a cooling problem aka heat soak. It doesn't take a track to experience heat soak. Chevy simply saying they programmed it to go into limp mode once the internal temperatures were exceeded is not acknowledging the root cause. Bottom line it needs a better heat exchanger for the Eaton super charger. If I had spent 100K (loaded)on one I would be really pissed off. Clearly some have not experienced the issue but seems to be the exception to the norm.

At the end of the day I am sure the execs are questioning in private why they went FI on their new track monster. FI simply creates an amazing amount of heat which causes so many more issues than just limp mode such as engine longevity. I am not fully up to speed on all the issues but I have read of several failures as well with I am sure heat being a contributing factor.
people experience the heat soak after a few WOT pulls on the highway for races. There are videos of a c7 z06 racing a viper ta. After a few races it started losing worse after a few pulls because it started heat soaking. From what I gathered last time I was on the vette boards, it had a tune issue too, that it would pull timing. A tune seemed to fix that issue but the heat soak still seems to be a problem

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You donā€™t want to know
Not exactly true. It is difficult to get heat soak issues in a '13-14 GT500 as Ford did a nice job with their H/E and pump configuration. I would say they learned from earlier models as they would heat soak bad. I installed a C&R heat exchanger in addition to a larger blower at 740 rwhp and ZERO heat soak. The problem can be solved. OEM's seem to overlook the volumetric efficiency part of the equation when it comes to FI.
Didn't know about the '13-14, so I stand corrected. And with emissions controls and packaging being so tight nowadays, heat soak is a fact of life for a lot of cars - my C6 (not FI) used to get so hot under-hood, I was afraid it would blow - but it never did.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The 2014 gt500 I sold, had heat soak issues, while not nearly as bad as the z06, it still had problems. Stock it heat soaked, full bolt ons it soaked.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
people experience the heat soak after a few WOT pulls on the highway for races. There are videos of a c7 z06 racing a viper ta. After a few races it started losing worse after a few pulls because it. The factory tune just pulls timing. I haven't seen any reported problems after a tune. From what I gathered last time I was on the vette boards, it was tune related.
Sure you can increase the temp thresholds in the tune but it still doesn't fix the root cause for which the m'fr has determined is the safe operating temp thresholds. The Ford tune would pull wicked timing in a heat soak condition all in efforts to save the motor. Any responsible tuner IMO would not remove those failsafes. They are there because heat causes detonation among other problems which all translates to a melted piston, blown motor etc. If I had one the first mod would be is to replace the factory H/E. I would think the aftermarket has addressed that such as C&R or AFCO.

The 2014 gt500 I sold, had heat soak issues, while not nearly as bad as the z06, it still had problems. Stock it heat soaked, full bolt ons it soaked.
I never said it couldn't but any mods an upgraded H/E should be first on the list.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you missed my edit.

Got it...to maintain timing with higher temp thresholds is a recipe for detonation and a melted piston. Seen that way too many times with bad tunes. I am never on Vette forums so I have no idea of what is occurring with failures.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Corvette is seen as a status symbol, the Mustang, no matter what variant, is not.
Maybe this is true in some areas of the country, but even owning a couple year old GT I took some crap over it. "Wow, nice car! You must be making too much money!" IMO that's especially true of the Shelby cars. A guy I know seems to be talking to me a lot less since I've been considering the Shelby. Jealousy? I don't know but I've gotten the impression he thinks I have too much money. I don't even own one yet! Part of the reason I'm getting black and no stripes to not call so much attention to myself (that's if I'm able to get one).

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Sure you can increase the temp thresholds in the tune but it still doesn't fix the root cause for which the m'fr has determined is the safe operating temp thresholds. The Ford tune would pull wicked timing in a heat soak condition all in efforts to save the motor. Any responsible tuner IMO would not remove those failsafes. They are there because heat causes detonation among other problems which all translates to a melted piston, blown motor etc. If I had one the first mod would be is to replace the factory H/E. I would think the aftermarket has addressed that such as C&R or AFCO.

I never said it couldn't but any mods an upgraded H/E should be first on the list.
I know you didn't, you said it was hard. I was just disagreeing, that it was pretty easy. :cheers:

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
MT update:

This question was asked by a Corvette forum member who asked MT instead of speculating...

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
You mean General Motors Trend isn't a good source for, say, GTR versus Z06 comparisons? Oh, surely you jest
Sponsored