Sponsored

Active exhaust warning when going full throttle then works as normal after a while

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Like the title says.. I got longtube headers installed (sounds amazing..) if I go full throttle in normal or track or whatever mode I get the active exhaust cannot be changed warning and I can’t change the modes. After a little while of normal driving again I can change the exhaust like nothing happened? Anyone have this happen or know what could be causing this? I just got home and I’m beat from driving but I will check to make sure plugs are all the way in or a wire isn’t cut or something obvious but it just seems weird it only happens when going full throttle or when heavy on the gas and then it clears and works fine without shutting car off or anything. Any ideas or if you have had this happen let me know.
Sponsored

GoGoGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
WOT causes the exhaust to shift back on the hangers. The passenger side AE wires get squished on the body pinch weld. I am betting you will get that periodically for a bit then constant when the wires break completely, short out and pop the fuse.
I had it when the local shop put my resonator delete H pipe in. Took it to a better exhaust place and had it tightened up so it is farther forward and will not shift back under throttle as bad.

OP
OP
GR1MxREAPER

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
WOT causes the exhaust to shift back on the hangers. The passenger side AE wires get squished on the body pinch weld. I am betting you will get that periodically for a bit then constant when the wires break completely, short out and pop the fuse.
I had it when the local shop put my resonator delete H pipe in. Took it to a better exhaust place and had it tightened up so it is farther forward and will not shift back under throttle as bad.
Okay I’ll check that. Headers do tend to make your exhaust longer by 1” or so or atleast on my 2016 mustang that happened. I didn’t even think about that and how short the exhaust valve harnesses were or that the frame or chassis was that close. That makes sense and is probably the issue. I’ll check it out in the AM. Thanks 👍🏼

KermiStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT N4G
I have exactly the same thing. Only happens after I've really been getting into it for a sustained period, and then a bit later on the same drive it goes away and works ok. No LTH's but a Borla S-Type 3" Active valve catback with included X-Pipe. It is on correctly and has not shifted. All plugs and leads have good bend radii, and support. It's mystery for now.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you still with the standard AE rear end, how close are your tips to following the profile of the rear diffuser ?

I have a bit of a theory that the tolerances on both the exhaust fitment at flat rock and the exhaust fabrication vary somewhat and I’m looking for second opinions to back that up.

We know that if you fit replacement parts to the system there is a chance that if you increase the length by even a marginal amount it ‘might’ cause the loom rubbing issue.

We also know that some cars have suffered directly from the factory.

Now admittedly I’ve only been under mine on a cold (ish) engine and on a stationary car, but I seem to have a reasonable amount of clearance between the loom and body.

But here’s the the thing, my tailpipes seem to be well tucked under the valance compared to some cars I have seen ?

My exhaust is completely stock in these pictures and with my best guess at a straight on photo, my tailpipes range from being just visible :

1653733117414.jpeg

1653733666738.jpeg

To completely disappearing with a very slight change in photo angle :

1653733206948.jpeg

1653733697467.jpeg

So for those of you that have had the harness issue how does your standard OE tailpipe fit as a comparison ?

It might be good to judge the profile compared to the valance (you can see how ford choose to match the profile - a reason I have been resistant to change the tips). This low down angle shows it well :

1653733436154.jpeg

1653733720884.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
GR1MxREAPER

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I looked and my exhaust is 1” or more rearward. The passenger harness has a wire that is bare from hitting chassis. The shop that installed my headers looks like they didn’t get the rear of the exhaust on to the x pipe far enough so that is why mine is acting up. When I am hard on the gas it allows the exhaust to move back just a little
More and it’s only 1/4” away from chassis so it contacts that. As far as tips sticking out well mine are way out because the exhaust is pushed rearwards lol. Not sure how it’s supposed to be. You can put it wherever you want as your exhaust has 2-3” of movement on the middle section. Don’t go rearward too much though or you will be in the same
Situation as me.. thanks again to:

GoGoGadget You were correct,

GoGoGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
At least now you know, and it is an easy fix. Order a new harness and get everything shift forward.

OP
OP
GR1MxREAPER

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
At least now you know, and it is an easy fix. Order a new harness and get everything shift forward.
I wasn’t blowing fuses so I caught it in time. It is just to wire so I’ll silicone it and wrap it
With tape and some plastic conduit type wrap to double Protect it and Then get the car in the air and try to get the exhaust shoved forward some how? Not sure how yet lol.. wish I had a lift lol..
Sponsored