Sponsored

AC causing misfire CEL

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
I had another thread about a misfire but it got taken over with other peoples issues. I've also further narrowed mine down so to seemingly be caused by the AC.

Background. Stock 2015 gt. AC compressor clutch seized and took it to dealer. They replaced the whole compressor. Shortly after <100 miles I got a CEL. Autozone scanner said p0300 and 6 other specific cylinder misfires logged. Never flashed. Hoped it was bad gas. Sure enough cleared after next fill up. Came back on shortly there after (maybe within the next 100 miles) and also flashed. AC was running during these occurrences.

Bought a cheap OBD2 scanner to read the codes and it showed p0300 again. Cleared it and started researching. In the meantime since its been cool, and me being suspicious it still had something to do with the AC compreasor replacement I chose to not use the AC the last month.

In 300 miles the code never came back and the OBD2 scanner never showed a pending code. I was ready to try the AC again. Sure enough within 5 miles of the AC being on the OBD2 scanner showed a pending p0300 code. I turned off the AC and didn't let it set because I need an inspection and can't have a code. Sure enough, about 25 miles later with no AC the pending code went away as well.

Here's the other suspicious thing its doing. When its idling if I have the climate set to "auto" with the AC NOT ON. The AC compreasor cycles CONSTANTLY. It engages and disengaged the compreasor probably every 15-20 seconds. I'm not sure the compressor should be engaging at all in auto if i don't have the "AC" button on, should it? And even if it should, it definitely shouldn't be short cycling.

AC blew cold yesterday when I ran it FWIW.

Could this be as simple as the PCM needing reprogrammed after the compessor replacement last month?

Any smart people on here have ideas of what to investigate given these specific symptoms?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
No help 😔

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Bump

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ok the misfire is most likely caused by the extra load that the ac is putting on the engine. The ac cycling is normal on any car with dual climate control. You can have the heater on and it will cycle the ac. Change your plugs

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You could try a Crank Relearn procedure. Had a similar misfire after replacing a clutch, but I would hope the car would know the AC is running and the tune would adjust for the added load.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Ok the misfire is most likely caused by the extra load that the ac is putting on the engine. The ac cycling is normal on any car with dual climate control. You can have the heater on and it will cycle the ac. Change your plugs
Why would it be plugs? Its logged misfires on 7 of the 8 cylinders as well as p0300. No way 7 plugs just went bad immediately after the AC compressor swap and only happens when compressor is engaged.

There are threads here with guys being nickel and dimed chasing everything. Im trying to avoid random get lucky guesses when i have different specific symptoms.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
You could try a Crank Relearn procedure. Had a similar misfire after replacing a clutch, but I would hope the car would know the AC is running and the tune would adjust for the added load.
Whats the cheapest component that I can buy to do this on my own without taking it to the dealer?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Why would it be plugs? Its logged misfires on 7 of the 8 cylinders as well as p0300. No way 7 plugs just went bad immediately after the AC compressor swap and only happens when compressor is engaged.

There are threads here with guys being nickel and dimed chasing everything. Im trying to avoid random get lucky guesses when i have different specific symptoms.
How many miles are on your plugs? The a/c compressor swap probably has nothing to do with the missing. Just coincidence.

OP
OP

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
How many miles are on your plugs? The a/c compressor swap probably has nothing to do with the missing. Just coincidence.

Why would 7 cylinders start missing at the same time? It only logs the misfire when the AC compressor is running and it started right after the compreasor replacement. How you conceivably think it would be the plugs?
Sponsored