AC blowing hot/a broken pulley and belt

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT Premium
So drove the car this afternoon and I don’t use my AC much, I ride with the windows down so I can listen to my exhaust and the growl of the engine🥰. Noticed the AC was blowing hot, double checked the temp it was on LO and the AC button was lit up. So after my husband got home I had him look at it.
Popped the hood and there was something at the bottom of the engine compartment. Went and got a magnet on a bendable arm, and pulled it out, two pieces. Then it looks like a belt snapped and it has melted into several pieces. He said it looked like it was from the compressor? Appointments aren’t available until next week, right before Thanksgiving. UGH! Hope it’s a fast fix.
39DC79CB-95BB-4B0F-87A2-88016FD36138.jpeg
Sponsored

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
oh jeez. that makes me realize i got my car monday, but still haven’t turned the ac on. i’d better try tomorrow!!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not from the ac, compressor has a beefier pulley , belt tensioner maybe.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Are you Serious. That’s obviously the ac clutch 100%
I have to say, I haven't seen an AC Clutch round out from the AC Compressor shaft. If you AC Compressor bearing went out, the shop is probably going to replace allot of parts in your AC System due to collateral internal debris. Question what they say they want to replace or the repair could easily cost way over $1500

Sponsored

OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
Well listening to these comments I guess it’s a good thing I have the extended warranty😂. I kept wondering if I was going to have AC issues like others have had.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Great that you have the extended warranty. Good luck

OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
Well we saw when we looked last night lots of little pieces and a broken belt that had melted onto a lot of other things, so the other pieces may be there somewhere 🤷🏼‍♀️.

Sponsored
OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
Well I dropped the car off yesterday but they may not get to look at it until Monday, UGH! Hope they can fix it quickly, this Jeep Cherokee ain’t the same thing 😂.

OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
So I just heard from my advisor, I need a new compressor, actuator, new belt, and orifice tube. Said the compressor was locked up. So should have it back beginning of next week hopefully before the holiday.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
So I just heard from my advisor, I need a new compressor, actuator, new belt, and orifice tube. Said the compressor was locked up. So should have it back beginning of next week hopefully before the holiday.
So the compressor shelled out and they didn't mention replacing another parts?
So the compressor shelled out and they didn't mention they were replacing the Dryer, Accumulator, Expansion valve, Condenser ?. Just for giggles, I would recommend calling a Car AC repair only shop, shop and tell them your car just shelled a AC compressor and ask which parts they feel should be replaced for the repair. Good Luck

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Same basic thing happened to me on Christmas eve a couple years ago. I'm not sure how you didn't notice the smoke or burning smell.

OP
OP
1Pretzel

1Pretzel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
Same basic thing happened to me on Christmas eve a couple years ago. I'm not sure how you didn't notice the smoke or burning smell.
Never smelled anything and I ride with the windows down 90% of the time. I’m never in the car for long drives, it’s a 16 mile drive to work, and usually drive on the weekends to run errands around town.
Sponsored