Sponsored

ABS, EPAS, BCM Functionality With Standalone?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has done a standalone with a new engine wiring harness and kept all or most of the functionalities of these parts/modules? Manual transmission. I’m trying to figure out how much of the functionalities of these parts and controllers is integrated with/reliant on the ECM. I can read the wiring diagrams, what I’m uncertain of is the CANbus network.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Can’t answer your questions but curious why a stand-alone vs the stock pcm

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
You’ll likely need to keep the stock pcm there and split or spoof some signals to make it all work. As asked above…why?
If you need all of that stuff, it would be easy to assume you are building a street car, and I can’t imagine what you need to do with a street car that the stock PCM cannot accomplish.

OP
OP

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
It’s mostly a track car so the BCM functionality is not a must but would be nice to have if it would still work. Abs and the steering rack I’d prefer not to re-engineering as they work quite well IMO.

looking to swap the engine hence the stock PCM is not a viable option.

Sponsored

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I think you are maybe starting with the wrong car? Also interested in what you plan to swap in.

OP
OP

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Thanks for the link to the Motec.

Looking at an LS3. Done a number of swaps on past cars but none with electronics this advanced.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Long time LS fan here. Still gotta ask, why??
What’s an LS3 based motor gonna offer that you can’t accomplish with a Coyote? You need 400+ cubes or something?

And again, why not just run the stock LS PCM on its own to run the motor and leave the rest alone to retain functionality?

OP
OP

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Good question. There’s a number of reasons but the main ones are that an LS3 will be cheaper per HP, more torque down low, and the TR6060 is a great transmission. From the few swaps I’ve seen going from Ecoboost to coyote is an electrical hurdle anyways so if the electrical isn’t that easy with the coyote then the LS3 makes sense to me.

I very may well run the GM control pack but the stock PCM and gauges in the mustang (which I won’t be able to run anymore) have some level of CANbus integration that may not make it possible to just run without them. For example the steering rack does not operate without the stock PCM. I found that Cortex racing makes a stimulator so it can run without the stock PCM, but still need to figure out the rest.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I hadn’t considered upgrading from an ecoboost.

Why not run the gmpp control pack on its own and leave the stock Mustang pcm there to keep the rest happy?

But if it’s a track car I’m still ripping all that stuff out and running a Holley 😉
Sponsored