Sponsored

A "what's that noise?" question

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Hey all,

So I'm about 1k miles into my 2018 GT, it's still brand new.

I'm noticing a weird noise when I shift gears (6 speed). It only happens when I take the car about 5k RPMs or so before I shift to there next gear up. The sound is like metal grinding on metal. The only thing I've done to the car is a cutback exhaust system so I thought maybe it's the metal clamp vibrating against the exhaust pipe but I don't know, the grinding sounds pretty bad. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from except that it's the front half of the car.

Any suggestions? I'm not too 'mechanical,' hoping it's nothing too serious.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hey all,

So I'm about 1k miles into my 2018 GT, it's still brand new.

I'm noticing a weird noise when I shift gears (6 speed). It only happens when I take the car about 5k RPMs or so before I shift to there next gear up. The sound is like metal grinding on metal. The only thing I've done to the car is a cutback exhaust system so I thought maybe it's the metal clamp vibrating against the exhaust pipe but I don't know, the grinding sounds pretty bad. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from except that it's the front half of the car.

Any suggestions? I'm not too 'mechanical,' hoping it's nothing too serious.

Thanks all!
Does it only happen on a specific gear? Is the car fully warmed up when you do it? Is it only at a higher rpm or does it make a noise at lower as well?

Could be the synchros if anything. If it continues to happen, I would take it to a dealer. The MT-82 can make some thuds when you go from neutral to in gear ready to take off which I believe is normal, but you should not hear grinding when shifting gears like that.

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
My cars doing the same thing I have about 3400 on my 2018 and when I shift at high RPMs and if I let out the clutch to slow it will sound like it’s grinding in the trans but if I shift faster it won’t make any noises but now I think the trans if ticking when I cold start it cause after I drive it the ticking will go away when it’s warm I’m taking it in next week to see what’s wrong with it have you found out what’s up with yours ? Or when you do let me know and I’ll let you know what’s up with mines

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Yeah I'll let you know if I find anything and you do likewise, sounds like a similar issue.
[MENTION=21584]Zelek[/MENTION]

Yeah it's only at higher RPMs, any gear, mostly when letting clutch out slowly although not in a bad way, just not in a "I'm trying for a PR in the 1/4 mile" fast. Car is plenty warmed, happens at any point in my drive. No thud at the end or anything, just an oddly loud grind, didn't ever happen on my '17 GT

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Yeah when I had the car for the first 1k miles not Gona lie I did two or three hard pulls the first hard pull I did was when I took it from the dealer just to test how fast it was and then the second two times was when I was gapping people lol and then when I hit 1k I started going at it more than usual I’ve calmed it down a little since at 2700 miles I started hearing the tick at cold start and then hearing the noise when I shift at high rpms I read another forum a guy had the same issue and they changed out all the internals of his transmission and it fixed the problem they don’t know what caused it but that’s what they did and they said that the dealer told them the fly wheel or pressure plate wasn’t aligned have you drivin the car hard yet ?

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Yup got the same noise. like 3-4 people on these forums with a 2018 6pd have the same issue.

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
[MENTION=34393]Chris5.0coyote[/MENTION]

Yeah I mean the occasional high rpm pull, but I wouldn't say I've pushed it to the limits and I was very gentle for at least the first 500 miles. I would say that it did start AFTER having started to drive it harder though

[MENTION=16927]Stormtrooper5.0[/MENTION]

Hmmm, have you had it for a while or taken it in anywhere? I was hoping it was something with the exhaust even though I didn't think it was, but it seems this is somewhat of a problem around here :/

Chris5.0coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I drove it today from work and back and I did a pull coming up my street and made sure to let the clutch out faster and no noise but now when I’m shifting at 65-7100 I head a small small grind but not as bad as letting the clutch out to slow at 5k -6k I’m taking my aftermarket parts and taking the car to the dealer next week I’ll let you know what’s up after

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Yup got the same noise. like 3-4 people on these forums with a 2018 6pd have the same issue.
At this point, its like or 6-7. Soar (username here) and me both started threads in this subforum about the issue.

Dealer told me it was the syncros breaking in. But at 1500 miles its still loud as before. What a bunch of BS these guys are telling me.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
@Chris5.0coyote

Yeah I mean the occasional high rpm pull, but I wouldn't say I've pushed it to the limits and I was very gentle for at least the first 500 miles. I would say that it did start AFTER having started to drive it harder though

@Stormtrooper5.0

Hmmm, have you had it for a while or taken it in anywhere? I was hoping it was something with the exhaust even though I didn't think it was, but it seems this is somewhat of a problem around here :/
No I actually haven’t brought it in yet which is stupid of me because I’ve had this car since December and I had this issue before it was even mentioned on the forums. Sorry guys I should’ve said something L

There may be a possibility it’s the exhaust because it’s not a “grinding” noise but I am not too sure. I was talking to another soon-to-be 2018 owner and he said it could be the flywheel.

To break it down this is my experience with the noise.
-Slow to moderate driving, no aggressive takeoffs, no aggressive shifting, no shifting past 5k = no noise at all
-Spirited driving, faster take offs, aggressive shifting, going close to redline = buzzing noise from transmission (or somewhere down there)

Also, since were on the topic of the 2018 issues. Twice this has happened. I’m driving in a residential area and making a turn into a street…..poof the car shuts off on me randomly….on the dash it says something like “Run Power Active Accessory Mode” or something like that. I press the ignition button and it starts up just fine.
It happened twice and that was like a month ago and it hasn’t happened again.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
At this point, its like or 6-7. Soar (username here) and me both started threads in this subforum about the issue.

Dealer told me it was the syncros breaking in. But at 1500 miles its still loud as before. What a bunch of BS these guys are telling me.
During the break in, no grinding should happen. Grinding happens when two gears meet violently. Synchros are there to match those speeds and make the transition seamless. Grinding is how you break transmissions and it's scary that the dealers think it's a normal break in symptom.
Sponsored