Sponsored

A/S tires for a 2018/2019 PP & Magneride equipped GT?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Following up on my previous thread... I’ll be getting either a 2018 GT in late-February/early-March or a 2019 GT in July-August. I live in the Northeast (NJ) so those summer tires are a no-go for me and with the way temperatures seem to fluctuate around here going with winter tires just doesn’t seem practical unless I buy 4x extra rims and swap out the tires depending on temperature (ie: a week ago here it was in the 20-30s all week... today it’s nearly 60 out :/ ).

Anyway, all seasons seem to be the best route to go for me, but my main concern is not losing too much performance while not needing to worry about sliding around in a hint of snow (the GT is my daily driver). The stock a/s Pirelli P.Zero Nero tires on my 2016 GT are some of the worst tires I’ve ever had on a car, they have absolutely zero grip at the slightest sign of rain, so that brand is tarnished for me :p.
Thinking about Michelin Pilot Sport -3 A/S tires... good? Are GForce or Eagles better?

Thanks in advance guys! Just trying to have an idea of what I’ll be spending shortly after getting my next Mustang!
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Check Tirerack.com They have the most objective reviews.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I put the Michelin Pilot Sport +3 A/S on my 2015 Mustang GT Premium which came with the optional 20 x 9 wheels with the Summer Pirelli tires that came on the PP cars as well. My car had 265s in all four corners and I replaced them with the 275 Michelins. They really stick good. Day and night in cooler weather. Quiet. I had to work on the using the line lock. They are that good, in my opinion. I have used the BFGs A/S G Force Sport Comps on my SHO and they are good. A bit noisier than the Michelins but they stick really good in cooler weather. Either are good.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package

SUMITOMO
HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED)
Ultra High Performance All-Season

This is what I have been using. We get temps from low single digits up to triple digits. This is my daily and I have been using them for the last 2 years. Here in Idaho we had a pretty nasty winter last year. I had to chain to get out of my subdivision, but after that it was all good.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did, I asked about their top 3. :D
I missed that. :doh::D I assume you've looked at their comparison videos comparing types of tires on ice and snow. :)

We live in Raleigh where snow/ice has become less of a problem over the 3 decades we have been here, especially after we retired and can wait until the snow melts. However, Raleigh also doesn't have the snow removal and ice melting capacity that almost any part of NJ will have (we won't talk about what they had near the Delaware Water Gap where I grew up):)

I don't have experience with any recently but friends of mine on a road racing and autocrossing forum always have good reviews of the Conti DWS and the current Conti DWS-06 in reasonable snow. We've had the DWS and a more recent Discount Tire "version" of the DWS on our 97 Mustang GT and I can say that they are NOT the solution in typical Raleigh snow on ice at around freezing temps. That requires real snow/ice tires. In NJ all seasons might work, especially with T/C. I avoided buying snow or all seasons for my 15 GTPP since we have mounted snows handy to install on the 97 IF we have to get out.

Not much help I'm afraid.:)

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking about it more due to the realities of a Mustang GT and your weather I would seriously consider the highest dry weather performance Winter tire over the best snow/ice performance all season tire. TireRack discusses these but this late in the year they don't have choices for our S550 PP's in stock so you may have to do some digging to find brands/versions to look for in other stores.

Also my "racer" friends indicate that Michelin PS4S works at lower temps than many other summer tires so you might be able to use them more of the year (i.e. when snow isn't likely).

I worked in NJ and PA and northern VA in the winter of 2003 with real winter tires on my 2001 Mustang. Those worked GREAT in snow and ice but lets say I was sure happy to take them off the car .

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
What is the temperature limit for summer only tires?
Lee

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the temperature limit for summer only tires?
Lee
The owner manual says 19 F for storage. From talking with tire experts most of the concern is loss of grip in colder temps but compound cracking becomes a concern at lower temps. Since OEMs ship cars in winter on summer tires I suspect there is much less compound damage concern with brand new tires than after they have a lot of miles/heat on them.

My 15's OEM P Zeros survived 9 degree temps on the way to the dealer. My 18 looks like it will have to survive near zero temps at the factory holding parking lot or on a train next week. Hopefully the poor guys loading the cars on the rail cars in those temps realize the tires won't have "any" traction. :)

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
The owners manual stats that IF you have to drive in temps below 46*F, then get different tires. That's for the P Zeros.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Just deal with the Pzeros. If you drive the car right. you’ll have an excuse to get new tires in 2 years.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The owners manual stats that IF you have to drive in temps below 46*F, then get different tires. That's for the P Zeros.
Same for the Michelin PS4S. Too many folks have no clue how rapidly performance drops off in the cold let alone cold and wet but still above freezing. :D
Sponsored