Sponsored

9s on 93

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Its no longer 93 if a funnel is needed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
18 Smoke

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Does it really count as 93 anymore with that much boostane in it?
I wouldn’t call 12oz for 10 gallons of 93 “that much Boostane”, it’s more of a safe measure at 15psi. The car made 750/640 on straight pump 93 no Boostane. I’m on E85 now, guess I’m cheating

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Works for me boss. I just don't consider any form of additive a legit claim on being a 93 pump gas setup. There are ways to get there through lower compression setups and still make mounds of power without additives on 93. It's been done and can be done on S197's and can be done on the S550 (likely already done) if a person wishes to build a lower compression engine to do that. It's all about what you want to do. Personally I seek to have a car that can be driven further than 150 miles between fill ups, security of carrying a spare 5 gallon gas can supply in the trunk, and requiring an app to seek out and plot E-85 stations to get there...if one can do that. It would be impossible to get to my family farm 3.5 hours away on an E-85 setup as there is none between here and there. So E-85 has no interest to me as I want my car to be more than a local cruiser car.

Don't mistake my lack of interest in going that route as bashing. E-85 is an awesome alternative to racing fuel options for racing and local cruisers. The initial cost is greater but the savings and ease of finding it over racing fuel makes for a great payback. There is technology allowing one to swap out between 93 and E-85 on forced induction though sensor technology and retuning, but there again is a cost to doing that. I love the smell of corn squeezin's coming from exhaust almost as much as I love the smell of fresh rubber and gunpowder.

OP
OP
18 Smoke

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Works for me boss. I just don't consider any form of additive a legit claim on being a 93 pump gas setup. There are ways to get there through lower compression setups and still make mounds of power without additives on 93. It's been done and can be done on S197's and can be done on the S550 (likely already done) if a person wishes to build a lower compression engine to do that. It's all about what you want to do. Personally I seek to have a car that can be driven further than 150 miles between fill ups, security of carrying a spare 5 gallon gas can supply in the trunk, and requiring an app to seek out and plot E-85 stations to get there...if one can do that. It would be impossible to get to my family farm 3.5 hours away on an E-85 setup as there is none between here and there. So E-85 has no interest to me as I want my car to be more than a local cruiser car.

Don't mistake my lack of interest in going that route as bashing. E-85 is an awesome alternative to racing fuel options for racing and local cruisers. The initial cost is greater but the savings and ease of finding it over racing fuel makes for a great payback. There is technology allowing one to swap out between 93 and E-85 on forced induction though sensor technology and retuning, but there again is a cost to doing that. I love the smell of corn squeezin's coming from exhaust almost as much as I love the smell of fresh rubber and gunpowder.
Yeah, I’m fortunate that there’s a station 1/2 mile from my house with good E and my car is a toy that I don’t drive far. Carrying a can of Boostane in the trunk has been pretty easy too. I also love ALL those smells!

Sponsored

turboluke9000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrapped Base Mustang GT
I wouldn’t call 12oz for 10 gallons of 93 “that much Boostane”, it’s more of a safe measure at 15psi. The car made 750/640 on straight pump 93 no Boostane. I’m on E85 now, guess I’m cheating
That's fair my dude. Everyone has different ideas about these things, it's the same debate as whether opgs still counts as stock motor or not lol. Badass either way.

OP
OP
18 Smoke

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
That's fair my dude. Everyone has different ideas about these things, it's the same debate as whether opgs still counts as stock motor or not lol. Badass either way.
Thanks Sir! Yeah, I never claimed it was straight 93. I know PBD doesn’t mention it. It pulled timing @7100 on dyno, so I added Boostane and it held 19 to 7800. It allows me to switch back and forth with the E. And if you’ve just got opg, you’ve still got a stock motor. Lol

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ With that setup on 93 only 19 WOT advance is pushing the limit of the fuel. The boostane is absolutely needed. As I recall the whipple 2 is a 2.9L displacemet TVS unit? And your pulley is generating 12psi at that amount of volume? That's a huge load for 93 octane at 19 degrees advance on a 12:1 compression engine. No wonder you need an additive. Sounds more like an aggressive race tune than a 93 street tune. I'd expect no more than 17 degrees of WOT timing as a true 93 street tune.

My setup is a 2.3L TVS at 11psi at 18degree advance. No issues with knock at all even with IATs at 120-125F. AT 7500 RPM WOT spark advance is 18 and knock is -0.5 - 0.0. the 15-17 is an 11.0:1 compression setup.

OP
OP
18 Smoke

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
^^^ With that setup on 93 only 19 WOT advance is pushing the limit of the fuel. The boostane is absolutely needed. As I recall the whipple 2 is a 2.9L displacemet TVS unit? And your pulley is generating 12psi at that amount of volume? That's a huge load for 93 octane at 19 degrees advance on a 12:1 compression engine. No wonder you need an additive. Sounds more like an aggressive race tune than a 93 street tune. I'd expect no more than 17 degrees of WOT timing as a true 93 street tune.

My setup is a 2.3L TVS at 11psi at 18degree advance. No issues with knock at all even with IATs at 120-125F. AT 7500 RPM WOT spark advance is 18 and knock is -0.5 - 0.0. the 15-17 is an 11.0:1 compression setup.
3.0 blower 3.87 w/20% lower makes 15psi on my car. Even at 12.0:1, with the fuel system I have and the DI providing 30% of the fuel, I think it allows to push it a little harder. Other than on the dyno on straight 93, I’ve never seen positive knock. Everything on the Ngauge and logs looks great

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Glad you're going to E-85. Wish you well. Ever find yourself slumming it at Edgewater Raceway on a Friday night PM me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
18 Smoke

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Glad you're going to E-85. Wish you well. Ever find yourself slumming it at Edgewater Raceway on a Friday night PM me.
Appreciate it. We’ve been there before, but not for a long time. We do National Trails on Fridays and sometimes Kilkare on Thursdays

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Been to both. Ran NMRA True Street there several years back. Kilkare when they had T/T Sat in April and a closed track event.