Sponsored

9 speaker Shaker question

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
OK guys, Ive sold my 2015 and bought a 2016 and finally decided to sign up for this site. I have no engineering skills, so please excuse the question. Ive read nearly all the posts in this category, but can't seem to find answers I understand (you guys seem to have much more electronics knowledge that I do).

On the 9 speaker system, I know its flat speaker levels out of the head unit, so could I add an LOC from the head unit, then replace the amp with a better quality amp and reuse the speaker wire that is already in the car...just changing the speakers? So it would go from head unit to LOC to amp to speakers.

Would this work?
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
OK guys, Ive sold my 2015 and bought a 2016 and finally decided to sign up for this site. I have no engineering skills, so please excuse the question. Ive read nearly all the posts in this category, but can't seem to find answers I understand (you guys seem to have much more electronics knowledge that I do).

On the 9 speaker system, I know its flat speaker levels out of the head unit, so could I add an LOC from the head unit, then replace the amp with a better quality amp and reuse the speaker wire that is already in the car...just changing the speakers? So it would go from head unit to LOC to amp to speakers.

Would this work?
if you have the premium you have a factory amp.... the signal from the head unit is already low level so no need of a LOC..... you can reuse the factory speaker wire but if you are already in it doing speakers...why not just run high quality wire too..... that way if you ever sell the car....you can remove and put back to factory with little effort.

OP
OP

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
if you have the premium you have a factory amp.... the signal from the head unit is already low level so no need of a LOC..... you can reuse the factory speaker wire but if you are already in it doing speakers...why not just run high quality wire too..... that way if you ever sell the car....you can remove and put back to factory with little effort.
So out of the head unit, into a new amp, then run new speaker wires from the new amp to the speakers?

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
So out of the head unit, into a new amp, then run new speaker wires from the new amp to the speakers?
Have OEMradio remove the equalization out of your head unit first. I had mine installed without the mod first, and it was horrible. With his radio fix, it is much better. I still prefer an aftermarket head unit, but since that is not yet available, his fix is the best thing we can do. Then you are correct. Grab the input before the factory amp, and run it to your aftermarket amp.

Sponsored

OP
OP

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Let me throw out a new question. Lets say I replaced the 8 standard speakers (excluding center) with Kicker KS series speakers. The 3.5" inch speakers say they can only handle 50 watts RMS, where the others can handle 100+ watts RMS. Add to that a JL Audio 4 channel small amp at 50 watts per channel RMS. If I were to use one channel for the 3.5s, one channel for the rear 6.5's for fill, then bridge the components to two channels, would the components over power the other sets in a way that would make it sound horrible? Thanks in advance for the help. If you have other suggestions, Id love to hear them. Im a poor Texas cop, not an engineer, so dumb the answers down:cheers:

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you can do a 2 ohm load on each channel when running in stereo.... so if the door 6.5 is 4 ohm... and the 3.5 is 4 ohm.... connect them both together and they can share the power. Have been doing this for years.

OP
OP

billross77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So connect the door speakers together, then bridge them to two channels at 2ohms? The rear speakers get their on channel?

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So connect the door speakers together, then bridge them to two channels at 2ohms? The rear speakers get their on channel?
yep!!!

LF goes to the door 6.5 and the 3.5 4+4 ohm = 2 ohm
RF goes to the door 6.5 and the 3.5 4+4 ohm = 2 ohm
RR goes to the rear 6.5 4 ohm
RL goes to the rear 6.5 4 ohm

adjust gains to your liking.... i like to have a 60/40 mix..... 60% up front....40% in the rear....

Sponsored