Ant18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Not taking it to map then i assume.

So I've spent $12000 ish so far on my supercharger hardware and shipping and import duty alone (in dollars as i ordered it all from the states) I've not sorted the full fuel system out yet I expect that to be another couple of thousand, then i have to fit it all now I'll be doing it myself so free, but I assume about a weeks worth of work for a normal company, then there's the tune etc.

Now it does add up and sounds expensive BUT its still a lot cheaper than what map charge to supply and fit and their tunes are questionable to say the least. Fact is nobody in the UK has much knowledge of tuning the coyote properly regardless of what crap they spout, if you're using UK fitters you should always go to a yank company for the tune to be safe in the knowledge that your car isn't about to shit its self because the UK tuner did it wrong.
You are not a fan of MAP I take it lol
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
definitely not i like the guys there no issue with them but i've seen some of their tunes and claims and i'd be seriously worried about my engine.

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
Could be worse, you could be unlucky enough to be paying ÂŁ900 a month for a Vauxhall Grandland X , it is the Hybrid 300bhp one though, I ticked a few option boxes and got it to 50K
Screenshot_2020-01-31 Low cost big liability.png

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
definitely not i like the guys there no issue with them but i've seen some of their tunes and claims and i'd be seriously worried about my engine.
If you go by the Facebook groups you'd believe they were the be-all-and-end-all of performance tuning too... I'm always wary of anyone and anything that's perpetually hyped. Like to do a bit of digging.

Could be worse, you could be unlucky enough to be paying ÂŁ900 a month for a Vauxhall Grandland X , it is the Hybrid 300bhp one though, I ticked a few option boxes and got it to 50K
Screenshot_2020-01-31 Low cost big liability.png
Couldn't bring myself to do that, no matter how good the vehicle was. That's 50% more than my mortgage and that's for an appreciating classic! It's the tight Scotsman inside winning the battle to get out.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
If you go by the Facebook groups you'd believe they were the be-all-and-end-all of performance tuning too... I'm always wary of anyone and anything that's perpetually hyped. Like to do a bit of digging.
well put it this way, i know one person had them fit and tune a whipple he complained no end about driveability issues and spiking etc never got fixed he went to pbd they fixed it first tune out the box and got more power out.

another one drove from their place to my place I put it on my dyno packs and it was only running about 630hp when it was claimed "750" they have a very generous dyno. In real terms with our fuel over here there's no a single whipple in the uk running more than about 720 unless you're either chucking in fuel by the tanker truck or using race fuel or octane booster. put it this way if you go to beefcake for example and buy their 800hp sc kit (any brand) the caveat is that its only 800hp on corn on pump fuel its not even close to that.

now not to slate them totally they do cool stuff too bodykits/tribars/other lighting stuff etc my only real issue (not just with them but ALL uk tuners) is basic lack of knowledge of the coyote platform particularly the 4v version.

Sponsored

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@hinch
Interesting comments. Of course, U.K. Mustang owners do appear to have limited choice of who to approach for boosting & tuning. Futhermore, it would seem that:
a) Few U.S. tuners have experience of, or interest in those lovely GPFs we have over here on our MY18 onwards, GTs.

b) Using an alternative tune from that mandated by the S/C manufacturer will at the very least void any warranty.

Then, not all of us have a garage, the required equipment, experience or Dyno, in order for us to do our own install.

Isn't your example above, regarding the Whipple, more an issue with Whipple & their tune, than with MAP, as I assume that to comply with Whipple's warranty, one is stuck with their tune & I'd also assume MAP aren't permitted to adjust the tune too far??

Similarly, your next example seems to suggest the Whipple doesn't make the claimed output. Which again doesn't appear to be a MAP related issue. Especially as Whipple's claimed number will, for marketing reasons, be "optimized" on a none GPF equiped car??
I may have misunderstood your comments.

Also, for balance, I'll divulge that while I haven't taken my car to MAP yet, I will be, as there seems to be very few workshops in the U.K. who have Mustang experience.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
As far as I'm aware (from talking to several people who've used them for whipples) that they don't use the whipple canned tune and always go with their own base tune and tweaks accordingly.
Which knocks on to your next question no its not a whipple tune issue at all its a map custom tune issue. The point about the GPF stands true but at least PBD can now tune this out and I suspect many others can by now too.

If you're using map to do the work that's fine the mechanical no issue but I would seriously go with a yank tuner, get a base tune just to get the car running get it on a dyno and data log (any will do even a generous one) get a baseline reading and send it to the yanks so they can make a revision upload and dyno and log again rinse and repeat until you're cool. I ended up using lund and they remoted into my laptop and tuned on the fly with me just being remote hands for pressing buttons and pedals.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@hinch
Thanks for clarifying & for the info.

My "research" on the gen 3 S/C failure mode seems to point to tune & fuel over mechanical root causes.

Cheers.
:like:

P.S. You gonna start a build thread for your car, here?

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
@hinch
Thanks for clarifying & for the info.

My "research" on the gen 3 S/C failure mode seems to point to tune & fuel over mechanical root causes.

Cheers.
:like:

P.S. You gonna start a build thread for your car, here?
yeah almost all sc fails i've seen have been fuel related hence stick with the yanks for the tunes and don't forget you can't bolt on a 200+ hp power adder and leave a factory fuel pump in place :)

I've done a little youtube video of some of the first boxes arriving but as I'm still a few months away from getting everything together and actually getting to work on it I haven't started a build thread or anything, probably won't i may just do some install videos and then an end review type thing of it afterwards.

OP
OP
Adam83

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Video of a few leaving Howden today, one doesn’t look too healthy :inspect:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Video of a few leaving Howden today, one doesn’t look too healthy :inspect:

the red one at 2:50's that slipped barely at featherweight throttle :D?

Okay just seen the black one... err... did it have a flare in it's boot to fake burnouts or something lol!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the red one at 2:50's that slipped barely at featherweight throttle :D?

Okay just seen the black one... err... did it have a flare in it's boot to fake burnouts or something lol!
that's MAP's "demo" car......

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
According to Ben from MAP, they had just finished doing some strong1000bhp dyno runs. Oil from the breather vent had accumulated. The engine is fine it was only a bit of oil from the catch-can that overflowed.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
According to Ben from MAP, they had just finished doing some strong1000bhp dyno runs. Oil from the breather vent had accumulated. The engine is fine it was only a bit of oil from the catch-can that overflowed.

hang on there's a bullshit truck around here somewhere. its actually impossible to make 1000 hp even at crank on uk pump fuel especially with a whipple, making 1k on a whipple even with E85 is difficult for the yanks, realistically he's making perhaps 730 which would be about a good map on a whipple with a smaller pulley with our fuel. I've got the bits that in the states will make 1k wheel no problem but on our fuel I'm hoping for 800 at best more realistically on my dyno i expect to read closer to 700 and i can guarantee I've done more internal engine work to stop detonation than they have.

if his catch can is overflowing then he's not breathing/venting enough so he's risking blowing the bottom end and/or rings with too much case pressure. wouldn't be surprised if he was getting valve blow by too as i'm pretty sure he won't have put better springs on the valves either. infact if he's really pushing the engine (even if not hitting 1k) then that engine is not long for this world. all it takes is a 2 minute trip to the forced induction section of this very forum to see how much bullshit he's spouting.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
hang on there's a bullshit truck around here somewhere. its actually impossible to make 1000 hp even at crank on uk pump fuel especially with a whipple, making 1k on a whipple even with E85 is difficult for the yanks, realistically he's making perhaps 730 which would be about a good map on a whipple with a smaller pulley with our fuel. I've got the bits that in the states will make 1k wheel no problem but on our fuel I'm hoping for 800 at best more realistically on my dyno i expect to read closer to 700 and i can guarantee I've done more internal engine work to stop detonation than they have.

if his catch can is overflowing then he's not breathing/venting enough so he's risking blowing the bottom end and/or rings with too much case pressure. wouldn't be surprised if he was getting valve blow by too as i'm pretty sure he won't have put better springs on the valves either. infact if he's really pushing the engine (even if not hitting 1k) then that engine is not long for this world. all it takes is a 2 minute trip to the forced induction section of this very forum to see how much bullshit he's spouting.
Did not want to get involved in this...

Ben Dunn... "She’s fine we were doing some big power pulls on the dyno before christmas without a catch can, it ingested it’s fair share of oil which has sat in the intake and then started sucking it up again on its first outting since ... I.e. today "

I retract the 1000bhp figure. My mistake, got muddled up with something else I'd read.
Sponsored

Last edited: