Sponsored

6R80 Shift Times

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
With the new 10 speed coming out, I am curious to know what the shift times are on the 6R80 to compare. Paddle shifting seems to give pretty quick, firm shifts. Obviously the new 10 speed will be much quicker but I wonder how much.

I’ve done some research and haven’t found anything online.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't think the delay is gonna be that much faster. After all it's still an automatic not a DSG.

OP
OP

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I read online that the new 10 speed actually shifts faster than a Porsche PDK. That’s what got me wondering how far behind the 6R80 is.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I can't imagine it'll shift much faster than the 6R80 does with a Lund tune. Maybe stock it will, but a tune really wakes the 6R80 up and makes it shift firm and quick.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I read online that the new 10 speed actually shifts faster than a Porsche PDK. That’s what got me wondering how far behind the 6R80 is.
If you read the fine print that's at full throttle upshifts. The difference is in off throttle and downshift speed and programming. New 10 speed will probably be great, but PDK is the best there is.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I don't think the delay is gonna be that much faster. After all it's still an automatic not a DSG.
Have you seen the video of the new ZL1 and how fast it shifts? Also GM is noting that this will be shifting as quickly if not quicker than a PDK.

Now I know that's just speculation right now, and of course the ZL1 spec unit will be different than the one in the Mustang, but all arrows are pointing to a much faster shift than the current units which lets be honest are dogs with stock tuning.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Have you seen the video of the new ZL1 and how fast it shifts? Also GM is noting that this will be shifting as quickly if not quicker than a PDK.

Now I know that's just speculation right now, and of course the ZL1 spec unit will be different than the one in the Mustang, but all arrows are pointing to a much faster shift than the current units which lets be honest are dogs with stock tuning.
I think OP is talking about the delay between pulling the paddles and when the shift actually happens.
Having extra 4 gears and close ratio makes it sound like it's shifting a lot faster.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Oh, I assume by shift times he meant the time it actually took the transmission to shift, not the time it took for the paddle input from the driver to translate into a shift.

I can't imagine that part will be any different, but if the shift itself within the transmission is quicker (which is should) then the overall time between when the driver taps the paddles and the shift takes place should be shorter...but not by much seeing as how the majority of the delay is in the paddles not the actual shift.

OP
OP

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Either one. I’ve had a VW dsg and even though the shift happens in just a few milliseconds, the time it took from initiating the shift was forever. It was a TDI, but still. I was more or less looking for the time it took from paddle click to power on in desired gear. If a shift time is posted though, it is typically the actual transmission shift time meaning the only way to make a fair comparison between 2 transmissions is to compare shift times of the transmission itself.
Sponsored