$6,000 budget - how to spend on performance

bluto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have a 2017 GT that I was originally going to supercharge with a gen5 Whipple. I have since reconsidered and here's why...
I currently have:
Adjustable BC suspension system
6 speed manual
3.73 rear end
CAI air intake
MGW shifter
Pypes headers
Stock cats and resonator
Pypes pype bomb exhaust
JLT oil separator
GT350 wheel set
325/30/19 Firehawk Indy 500 rear tires - don't want drag radials...
HPP Racing tune
Probably some other stuff I forgot about...

I'm currently making 430hp at the wheel using 93 octane gas and am fairly satisfied with the handling, so now it's time for more power...

My goal is to bump up the performance without sacrificing the drive-ability of the car. My last car was, dare I say it, overpowered and just not fun to drive. I want to be a bit more conservative this time and have less to worry about. I don't want to deal with tanks so no nitrous or methanol. E85 is also not easily found in my area, so it must be 93 octane. I have a $5,000 budget but can stretch it to $6,000 if it makes sense. I'm fairly mechanical, but not enough to replace something line camshafts on my own, so labor needs to be accounted for if it involves something that detailed.

I think I would be happy with around 650 at the wheel. Top speed isn't the goal, more or less low to mid-range. Think 20-100mph acceleration times.

So there's the challenge... What would you do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
With the 6k budget and power goal of 650whp diy Vortech / Paxton kit, unless you can get a steal on a Procharger HO. Or if willing to look for used then could maybe find a used whipple or edelbrock kit for more down low, or a beafed up p1x kit.

Last edited:

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
Based on what you've said, I would recommend a P1SC stage 2 kit. User friendly, easy install. Smaller head unit will give you a good punch down low and scream up top. You could run a 4.5 pulley and make good power on pump 93. If you decide to party, drop to 4.0 add some E85 and you've got a solid 800-825 whp at your disposal.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently making 430hp at the wheel using 93 octane gas and am fairly satisfied with the handling
why not go for 'over the moon with the handling' by fixing all the diff and chassis warts? It's about $1000 worth of parts. What are you going to do when the torque overwhelms the tires so all you do is spin?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Vmp makes good stuff. The pro charger route would be more street friendly though.

Any PD will make tire shredding torque down low.
Especially since it was stated not wanting to use a DR. Something like a Nitto 555Rii that is a streetable DR could be considered regardless which route is chosen.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
I can work with you on that price range for a Procharger setup if you'd like to hit me up. Lethalperformance.com

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If youre going to supercharge, you're going to need stickier tires than that. I am a fan of the Indy 500s, but they are just enough to not exploit on the street unless you're driving really aggressively - at stockish power levels. Add another 200-300 HP and youre going to have trouble.

OP
OP

bluto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I hear you all loud and clear regarding the tires and will likely swap them out when they are worn for something sticker.

So far pretty much everyone recommends a supercharger. Any way to get to 650 naturally?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
I hear you all loud and clear regarding the tires and will likely swap them out when they are worn for something sticker.

So far pretty much everyone recommends a supercharger. Any way to get to 650 naturally?
You could spend 4x the budget and still may not get there NA. Max effort NA build would still probably be in the 550-600 but cost alot more. The only way to get there in budget is boost.