Sponsored

5w20 vs 5w30 for northeast?

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Im due for my first oil change. I did some searching but didnt really find a clear answer. Im probably going to use mobil 1 extended. But should i use 5w20 or 5w30? I live in pa. Car sits during the winter. Gets used spring through fall. Spirited daily driving with few track times over the season. This is not a full track car.mods listed in sig. Whats my best bet?
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Im due for my first oil change. I did some searching but didnt really find a clear answer. Im probably going to use mobil 1 extended. But should i use 5w20 or 5w30? I live in pa. Car sits during the winter. Gets used spring through fall. Spirited daily driving with few track times over the season. This is not a full track car.mods listed in sig. Whats my best bet?
Use what it's supposed to get, 5W20. What makes you consider 5W30?

And I'd get better oil, like Royal Purple or Red Line.

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Ive seen alot of guys on here using 5w30. Not sure why. Figured id ask

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Ive seen alot of guys on here using 5w30. Not sure why. Figured id ask
In Coyote Mustangs?

Some folks, in the olden, olden days, used different weight oils during different times of the year. Something thinner for winter, something heavier for summer. And some folks might still be doing that, just because it's what they've always done, or what their dad did.

Those days are gone now.

I would add, that using 5W30 probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it's not what the engine is engineered to use.

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Yea in coyotes i saw browsing numerous oil threads on here. People still using royal purple?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I never bought into the rp hype. I thought it was usually laughed at

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Usually Amsoil is what people prefer to run. Although you have a dealer on every corner online trying to shove it down your throat.

I'm at 15k miles already. I go every 5k miles and just have Ford change it since I get it cheap as part of my package when I got the car. If you are just street driving it without pushing a ton of power/track use I don't really think you need to run anything special.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
I also use Mobil 1 5W20 and had no issues. I also store mine in the winter and I use the Motorcraft filter like most. The only other oil I would consider is the Motorcraft. :thumbsup:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Sponsored
OP
OP

Popo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Yea i have to order amsoil no one stocks it here thats y i was leaning toward mobil

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ford Racing recommended 5W30 for the 4.6 modulars which is why many people, myself included, run 5W30 in those. In 1999, Ford changed the oil recommendation from 5W30 to 5W20 in order to squeak by the, I believe, 18mpg CAFE fleet average regulation put in place at that time.

When I'm due for my first self performed oil change on my Mustang I will most likely switch to Amsoil. I think I was looking into 0W40 and an EaO11 filter for the Maruader, it might be similar if not the same for the coyote.

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. I imagine that the factory specs a 5w20 to shave some tiny parasitic losses from the engine and improve emissions. I'm not too concerned with fuel economy though, so I prefer the 30 weight.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford Racing recommended 5W30 for the 4.6 modulars which is why many people, myself included, run 5W30 in those. In 1999, Ford changed the oil recommendation from 5W30 to 5W20 in order to squeak by the, I believe, 18mpg CAFE fleet average regulation put in place at that time.
CAFE was the principal reason.

Keep in mind that while 5W20 may be adequate for the normal street driving that CAFE applies to, track time will push oil temperatures up higher (unless you've added some supplemental oil cooling). And that means lower absolute viscosity (thinner) and less protection.

I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to run a good 5W30.

Norm
Sponsored