Sponsored

5W-xx vs 10W-30 Oil

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I read a post a while back 10W-30 oil ran quieter and better. I ran 5W-20, then 5W-30 Winter and 5W-40 Summer as it's pretty hot down here in the South.

I ran 3,000 miles with 10W-30. Yes, it runs a bit quieter and seems smoother, but my GT felt like lost power. Just changed oil and filter and now running 5W-40 (for the Summer) and I can feel the difference. The exhilarating acceleration is back and feel the power of 5.0L GT. The get up and go is awesome with any of the 5W-xx weight, but not with 10W-30.

Feel free to share your experience.
Sponsored

dreamvillian_9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
That doesnā€™t really make sense. 10w-30 is a 30 weight at operating temps. The 10 is the winter rating which is only relevant when starting your car when itā€™s very cold out. 10w-30 is thinner than 5w-40 at operating temps.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesnā€™t really make sense. 10w-30 is a 30 weight at operating temps. The 10 is the winter rating which is only relevant when starting your car when itā€™s very cold out. 10w-30 is thinner than 5w-40 at operating temps.
Yup, thought so too. But, noooo, 5W-40 runs better.

10W-30, 10 QT Mobile-1
5W-40, 2 Gal Valvoline, 2 QT Liqui Moly (to top off)

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
My car has no mods. I use a full synthetic, 5W-30, year-round.

Unless there's quantifiable data saying otherwise or an engine builder is giving me guidance to support his unique product, I don't believe in experimenting with oil weights or deviating from the factory guidance.

I also think it is best to stick with one manufacturer of oil, not to mix brands. The person who designed the oil made it with unique properties. I feel mixing one oil with yet another compromises the abilities of both.

Finally, from reading shop manuals and articles on-line, I've come to the belief that, no matter how long one lets their engine drain, there's always about .5 quart / 475 ml remaining in the block, sometimes more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Oil placebos are awesome.

Nothing wrong with 10W-30 in warm climates at all. Itā€™s actually a more stable blend than those with a wider viscosity range.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a happenstance, that's all I had (Valvoline and Liqui Moly) and too lazy to run to Walmart. I ran 5W-30 exclusively for 3 years -- only decided recently to run 5W-40 during hot summer.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Running oil that is more viscous than needed is just robbing HP. Thinner oils also lubricate far better due to the ability to flow around corners. Oil chemistry has a huge impact on all of this so one X 5-30 will not function the same as XX 5-30 inside an engine. The less additives in an oil, typically the better they function. Low cost oils (anything you buy at a store)tend to get pumped full of additives which do some interesting things inside an engine and not always good. Data sheets are only useful if you have done 3rd party lab testing blindly(the lab does not know what they are testing, only what it claims to represent)

I would never run anything that starts with more than a 5 in a modern engine. The more spread you have the better, assuming quality oil.

I think for most of you are better off just having Ford use the Motorcraft Blend or Full Synthetic and stop worring about it.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I would never run anything that starts with more than a 5 in a modern engine. The more spread you have the better, assuming quality oil.
You are incorrect. The father the spread, the less sheer and temperature stable it is.

Jerryinpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
I read a post a while back 10W-30 oil ran quieter and better. I ran 5W-20, then 5W-30 Winter and 5W-40 Summer as it's pretty hot down here in the South.

I ran 3,000 miles with 10W-30. Yes, it runs a bit quieter and seems smoother, but my GT felt like lost power. Just changed oil and filter and now running 5W-40 (for the Summer) and I can feel the difference. The exhilarating acceleration is back and feel the power of 5.0L GT. The get up and go is awesome with any of the 5W-xx weight, but not with 10W-30.

Feel free to share your experience.
I ran 10w30 in my f150 5.0l last summer and it is quiter. Haven't tried it in my mustang.

I used 10x30 Castrol conventional, I know a BP oil professional, he say Castrol 10w30 conventional out performs full synthetic oils in lab tests.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
You are incorrect. The father the spread, the less sheer and temperature stable it is.
Actually, you are both "wrong." With the development of these modern engines, yes anything greater than 5W is really overkill and you will not see any added benefits to engine wear or protection. BUT this is assuming you are using the engine as designed. This means normal driving with a few spirited pulls every once in a while. If you are tracking the car, driving it spiritedly all the time, or live in an area with extreme temperatures, then other oils may provide you with more benefits. However I believe it is more important to let your oil come to operating temperature before driving hard than the type of oil.

Also the synthetic blends from Motorcraft and a few other companies are outperforming full synthetic oils. I run 5W-30 MC synthetic blend in the coyote as its what is recommended by warranty and will not cause tick.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
OK. So a '5-30' vs a '5-50' is better over a wider temperature range. So at an operating range of 70F- 250F oil temp how is that oil wedge being presented by the fixed displacement oil pump with a 30 vs a 50? Sheer is a term that is very misunderstood.

Again 'sheer stability' has more to do with chemistry than a test at 40/100c. Expensive base products that do not contain ridiculous levels of additives to make a cheap base meet a standard perform far better in operation and running a 5-40 or 50 is preferred If required by the intended application. As I previously stated driving around on the public roadways, the majority are wasting energy and money trying to reinvent an issue that doesn't exist. 5-30 is plenty for most. 5-40/50 when oil temperature control becomes a limitation.

This is pretty standard, why Ford has typically always stated this in the owners manual. They are assuming 'track-use' of 20 minute sessions on the OEM supplied cooling module, so a 5-50 at the top of the temp range is a 5-30.

Oil application is not digital, they very analog.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran 10w30 in my f150 5.0l last summer and it is quiter. Haven't tried it in my mustang.

I used 10x30 Castrol conventional, I know a BP oil professional, he say Castrol 10w30 conventional out performs full synthetic oils in lab tests.
Good to know. Will try Castrol Synthetic.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I know a BP oil professional, he say Castrol 10w30 conventional out performs full synthetic oils in lab tests.
Ask him about VCT function, 5 feet of overhead cam chains x2, 4 bearingless overhead cams, hydraulic cam chain tensioner and cam chain guide wear when using that 10W-XX conventional oil.

0W-40 IMO
5W-40 IM 2nd O

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
From my understanding there is a misconception that current multi-viscosity wide spread motor oils are not as shear stable as close spread.
Iā€™m under the impression that oil tribologist have figured out how to keep wide spread multi-viscosity oil shear stable over extended drain intervals.
I see Amsoil has released a 0W-50 UTV/ATV oil, not exactly apples to apples here but nonetheless a 0W-50 spread is remarkable when considering 0W-40 caused hairs to stand up on end not to long ago.
Sponsored

Last edited: