Sponsored

5.0 V8 - Automatic vs Manual

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
The one thing that I haven't noticed in this discussion (perhaps I missed it) of Auto v. Manual that can be very relevant is ergonomics.

To my knowledge when it comes to ergonomics an automatic is the only way to go and it's highly doubtful I will ever drive another manual again. Being 54 years old I had pretty much driven manuals all my life and never really thought much of it.

Then one day about 10 years ago I noticed my left knee was having a constant pain. So, I headed to the physical therapist and the first thing out of his mouth was, you guessed it, "do you drive a manual"? He said this is a very common problem.

As much fun as it is to drive a manual I love my knee a LOT more!!! I sold all my manual cars just as fast as I could and about a year later my knee pain went almost completely away.

Every so often it flairs up as my knee with never be the same but it's a 180 degrees from where it was.

Something to think about...
Sponsored

BugsOli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Mustang GT | 2015 Mustang Eco | 2022 Puma ST
To me, the auto tranny found in the Mustang V6 is absolute crap, but I have a ZF8 in my Beemer so it's not comparable.

I don't know if the auto trans in the V6 is different than the V8 but it feels so slow, even when I put my foot down to the metal!
I've experienced it with a 2008 V6, a 2010 V6 & the 2014 V6, what the hell?
Ford is making a 10-speed dual clutch transmission in a joint-venture (with GM) for 2017 I've read, so I'm pretty sure that it will get into the new Mustang.
What we're not sure of is if it is going to be made around the ZF licence...

BugsOli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Mustang GT | 2015 Mustang Eco | 2022 Puma ST
The one thing that I haven't noticed in this discussion (perhaps I missed it) of Auto v. Manual that can be very relevant is ergonomics.

To my knowledge when it comes to ergonomics an automatic is the only way to go and it's highly doubtful I will ever drive another manual again. Being 54 years old I had pretty much driven manuals all my life and never really thought much of it.

Then one day about 10 years ago I noticed my left knee was having a constant pain. So, I headed to the physical therapist and the first thing out of his mouth was, you guessed it, "do you drive a manual"? He said this is a very common problem.

As much fun as it is to drive a manual I love my knee a LOT more!!! I sold all my manual cars just as fast as I could and about a year later my knee pain went almost completely away.

Every so often it flairs up as my knee with never be the same but it's a 180 degrees from where it was.

Something to think about...
You are right about your knee, I used to drive a manual for 10 years on long drive (more than 200 miles a day, mainly highway but a lot of times stuck in traffic jams) and it is an absolute pain, that's why I've switched to my BMW with a ZF8 auto trans that I ABSOLUTELY love:headbang:

Whenever I take my 87 5.0 manual on the same trip to go to work, I'm amazed at how bad my knee feel at the end of the day, but that's because the manual trans in my 5.0 is TOTALLY hard to push, even my friends can't believe how I manage to drive it around town... I guess I'm used to it now :)

However, I don't feel any problem when I drive my wife's car, a manual VW Passat CC, since the clutch feels way too "light"!

Build'em

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
It only takes a couple days to learn stick well enough to get by. Especially easy now that everything has hill start assist.
Takes a lot more than that. I've seen guys that THINK they know how to drive a stick correctly only to come back with a bad clutch a 1000 miles later and want automatic. Most people (90%) that drive a stick don't know that at a red light (on flat roads), while siting at the light, you are supposed to disengage the clutch (foot off clutch pedal) and put car in neutral space.

It's also bad on a clutch and synchros to let car gear brake to slow down.

Build'em

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Plus, since today's (2011-2014 5.0's) with the A6 automatic are available, drive one. They're actually a little faster than the sticks. Plus 18 mpg city in the automatic vs 15 city in a stick. This new paddleshift will just make the A6 faster. Sticks just don't put the power down well. I've had a few new 5.0's and a few other older mustangs. The new IRS in the forthcoming new 5.0 will be a PITA to launch at a track with a stick. IRS's are finicky, they're great for roadcourses, but not 1/4 miles. Oh and I forgot, the gears in the tranny in the A6 are very different then the stick. With a oem 3.15 rear in the V8 A6 trans, the first gear is equal to a 3.85 rear in a stick. 2nd through 5th is like a 3.55 equipped stick and 6th is like a 3.80 rear in a stick. Oem in a base 5.0 stick is 3.31's. Track packs have 3.73's. The 3.55's and 3.73's are optional with the brembo brake package sticks only. Current car. And don't modd the car, ford will only authorize warranty wrk on a car with the ford racing tune. Mufflers are ok, so are X-pipes/H-pipes, while leaving factory catts. There's no such thing as a high flow Catt. Iusedto do exhaust for 25yrs and aftermarket speed shops/tuners will feed you this BS. Having (No) catts might give you a few hp, FEW. Not worth it. Same for CAI upgrades>> mythbusted in 4 continents plus I've seen almost no gain on dynos and worthless (according to Ford engineers, one of which I know) till over 500 hp or if you can figure out how to stick the CAI tubing 6-8' out in front of the cars bumper (which would look really dumb). BOSS manifold bad idea too. So if you have lots of $$ in the bank, which it seems so many 5.0 owners do, then modd away.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Plus, since today's (2011-2014 5.0's) with the A6 automatic are available, drive one. They're actually a little faster than the sticks. Plus 18 mpg city in the automatic vs 15 city in a stick. This new paddleshift will just make the A6 faster. Sticks just don't put the power down well. I've had a few new 5.0's and a few other older mustangs. The new IRS in the forthcoming new 5.0 will be a PITA to launch at a track with a stick. IRS's are finicky, they're great for roadcourses, but not 1/4 miles. Oh and I forgot, the gears in the tranny in the A6 are very different then the stick. With a oem 3.15 rear in the V8 A6 trans, the first gear is equal to a 3.85 rear in a stick. 2nd through 5th is like a 3.55 equipped stick and 6th is like a 3.80 rear in a stick. Oem in a base 5.0 stick is 3.31's. Track packs have 3.73's. The 3.55's and 3.73's are optional with the brembo brake package sticks only. Current car. And don't modd the car, ford will only authorize warranty wrk on a car with the ford racing tune. Mufflers are ok, so are X-pipes/H-pipes, while leaving factory catts. There's no such thing as a high flow Catt. Iusedto do exhaust for 25yrs and aftermarket speed shops/tuners will feed you this BS. Having (No) catts might give you a few hp, FEW. Not worth it. Same for CAI upgrades>> mythbusted in 4 continents plus I've seen almost no gain on dynos and worthless (according to Ford engineers, one of which I know) till over 500 hp or if you can figure out how to stick the CAI tubing 6-8' out in front of the cars bumper (which would look really dumb). BOSS manifold bad idea too. So if you have lots of $$ in the bank, which it seems so many 5.0 owners do, then modd away.
Statements only made by someone who is bad at banging the gears. I'll stick to getting the most out of my pony myself instead of putting it in "D"umb.

jimmypop13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 HHR SS
Takes a lot more than that. I've seen guys that THINK they know how to drive a stick correctly only to come back with a bad clutch a 1000 miles later and want automatic. Most people (90%) that drive a stick don't know that at a red light (on flat roads), while siting at the light, you are supposed to disengage the clutch (foot off clutch pedal) and put car in neutral space.

It's also bad on a clutch and synchros to let car gear brake to slow down.
Your last line is bs. Engine breaking is fine and better for several reasons. As long as aren't downshifting into some crazy rpms near redline, you are golden. My car has 100k miles and the clutch still feels the same as it did new. Grips just as well too,and the engine is just as nice as day one too. Take good care of ur car and know how to drive and ur all good

KGrGunMan

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
His lack of acknowledgement/understanding of how to rev match indicates to me, that he is one of those who thinks they know how to drive a manual because they can pull away from a stop sign without stalling but doesn't understand driving.

Something that this thread has made me realize is that this website is for mustang enthusiasts, this website is NOT for driving enthusiasts. One scan through this thread and you can point out who is a driving enthusiast and who is only enthusiastic about their car.

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
So...Does the PP + Auto-Paddle Shift on the LE sound like fun?

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
So...Does the PP + Auto-Paddle Shift on the LE sound like fun?

Think so, if it works right and doesn't have bad lag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Not much changes the personality of a car as much as the transmission. I have never owned an automatic Mustang, and don't plant to start now. My best comparison is the Infiniti G35 Coupe I had, with automatic. It was faster than most of my Mustangs, but the AT made it much more calm, soft and luxurious. All that is great if you are stuck in traffic jams on a regular basis, and I would buy another AT if that were my situation.

But it's not. I have a 37-mile commute on wide-open mountain roads these days, and I am SO looking forward to having a stick again! There's nothing like the control that it gives, and nothing like the involvement of mastering heel/toe downshifts and rev matching. As the driver, you are in CHARGE, not just steering and letting the computerized car make all the decisions. Much better!

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
This video has been posted in other threads, but I felt that it was relevant to this discussion as well. For anyone else still on the fence with their choice of transmission, the POV videos from Winding Road give you a great impression of what that experience is like.

[ame]

I was an automatic guy. I'm going to dealerships looking for a manual.

-SeventhWard

-SeventhWard

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Damn I've missed it then because that's my first time seeing it and thx for posting, I want my car so bad.

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Someone who wants to concentrate more on drag racing would be better off with the auto. Road Course / auto x drivers may prefer the manual. Someone who just wants to drive around can pick whichever tranny suits their needs best. As we can see by the video the auto/manual cars are very close in performance. The autos have come a long way over the years.
Yeah - this!

When prepping to buy my GTI in 2009, I was fortunate enough to get a chance to drive both a manual and the DSG back to back. Same car (except for transmission obviously), same driver (me), same roads, etc. I've also had the opportunity to auto-X both my car (a stick) and a friend's DSG. DSG was much faster in both cases, smoother and easier to drive around in metro DC/Baltimore traffic. Also bored the hell out of me which is why I selected the 3 pedal option and have never regretted it. There is no substitute for the engagement and physicality of a manual.

I have driven several examples of the ZF 8 speed box in Audis and BMWs and will say that is one very nice transmission. I may try the 6 speed in the 'Stang although I can't imagine I would actually buy an auto. Please note - my car is primarily DD duty - it doesn't see any drag strip use (if a mustang is actually purchased, then that'll probably change) and lots of curvy road driving and canyon carving. If I'm lucky, I get 2-3 glorious track days per year.

d-fault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 350Z
To the guys who own a S550 auto: Do you feel the shift process? Like there is a pause between switching gears?

Also let's say you go 30mph in 4th gear and you step on the gas...will it quickly down-shift and accelerate or is there a pause and/or a "kick-down moment" and then it starts to accelerate?
Sponsored