Sponsored

5.0 camshaft phasers - Ford UK say they dont know what this is... help P0024 ongoing saga

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
MY17 5.0
so, ongoing saga with my p0024 error. We've changed the exhaust VCT solenoid for a new one and still same error code and still same laggy performance low revs and general rubbish idle.
Confirmed with Forscan that the exhaust cam timing is saying what to do, the duty solenoid is working flat out but the cam position just aint where it should be. (same as it was before changing the VCT solenoid)

Next thing is the exhaust cam phaser except Ford UK say such a thing doesn't exist but might be called a sprocket which is fair enough. Problem 2 is that Ford UK say the inlet and exhaust are the same parts yet everything else I've seen indicates exhaust and the inlet phasers / sprockets are not the same. Stuck at this because I'm not doing the work myself (no knowledge) so if i order the wrong part then i'm being charged for a £360GBPound part plus labour just to waste the mechanics time.

So, this video shows two phasers being different between inlet and exhaust cams

Rockauto show different part numbers for inlet and exhaust (half the price including delivered to UK) < are engine parts good from rockauto..
could almost buy a Ford Performance kit which would be ish 500GBPounds including shipping to UK and have spares for when the other three crap out (if these are any good for daily driver duty of course) Ford Performance 5.0L 5.2L Coyote High Performance Cam Phaser - M-6004-A50R | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

Seriously scunnered at this point :( Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If a member/s is unable to answer, @LevittownFordParts might offer some guidance. I'd give them a bit of time to respond, being a weekend and Memorial Day weekend at that.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
MY17 5.0
so, ongoing saga with my p0024 error. We've changed the exhaust VCT solenoid for a new one and still same error code and still same laggy performance low revs and general rubbish idle.
Confirmed with Forscan that the exhaust cam timing is saying what to do, the duty solenoid is working flat out but the cam position just aint where it should be. (same as it was before changing the VCT solenoid)

Next thing is the exhaust cam phaser except Ford UK say such a thing doesn't exist but might be called a sprocket which is fair enough. Problem 2 is that Ford UK say the inlet and exhaust are the same parts yet everything else I've seen indicates exhaust and the inlet phasers / sprockets are not the same. Stuck at this because I'm not doing the work myself (no knowledge) so if i order the wrong part then i'm being charged for a £360GBPound part plus labour just to waste the mechanics time.

So, this video shows two phasers being different between inlet and exhaust cams

Rockauto show different part numbers for inlet and exhaust (half the price including delivered to UK) < are engine parts good from rockauto..
could almost buy a Ford Performance kit which would be ish 500GBPounds including shipping to UK and have spares for when the other three crap out (if these are any good for daily driver duty of course) Ford Performance 5.0L 5.2L Coyote High Performance Cam Phaser - M-6004-A50R | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

Seriously scunnered at this point :( Any help appreciated.
How often do you change your engine oil? Is the level correct? Sticking phasers due to sludge buildup in the oil feed screen can cause this problem also.

Sponsored

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
The sprockets/phasers are certainly different

Intake = FR3Z-6256-C
Exhaust = FR3Z-6C525-B

Please let me know if you have any questions.

- Benny
Many thanks Benny, I'll check with my mechanic and see if he wants to change both in the bank 2. I presume no issues shipping to UK?
How often do you change your engine oil? Is the level correct? Sticking phasers due to sludge buildup in the oil feed screen can cause this problem also.
Oil is changed every year, don't do big miles so maybe 3-5k miles per year. Oil level is correct, it's never been low in all the times I've checked it. Car was serviced by ford exclusively til this year and i presume 0-20 oil. Issue started July last year, yeah i know.
One slight concern is mechanic mentioned there was slight wear on the camshaft, can't remember if it was the inlet or exhaust cam. Will need to confirm.

The intake and exhaust phasers are absolutely different.

If you end up digging into the engine to change 1 phaser, I would buy all 4 and do them all
Aye might be an idea of at least changing all the units in bank 2

LevittownFordParts

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
S550's!
Many thanks Benny, I'll check with my mechanic and see if he wants to change both in the bank 2. I presume no issues shipping to UK?

Oil is changed every year, don't do big miles so maybe 3-5k miles per year. Oil level is correct, it's never been low in all the times I've checked it. Car was serviced by ford exclusively til this year and i presume 0-20 oil. Issue started July last year, yeah i know.
One slight concern is mechanic mentioned there was slight wear on the camshaft, can't remember if it was the inlet or exhaust cam. Will need to confirm.

Aye might be an idea of at least changing all the units in bank 2
Yes no problem, PM me if you want to go this route.

- Benny

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
I’ve just done this on my , sleeved , built 2017 gen2 Using the ford performance phasers. Both sides come in the kit.
Its a big job and there is absolutely no way I’d only do one side. cry once , do it once….

how many miles have you got on the engine ?? While your there might as well get chains , guides , tensioners etc

IMG_2086.jpeg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would 100% recommend the ford performance phasers. Much higher quality.

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I’ve just done this on my , sleeved , built 2017 gen2 Using the ford performance phasers. Both sides come in the kit.
Its a big job and there is absolutely no way I’d only do one side. cry once , do it once….

how many miles have you got on the engine ?? While your there might as well get chains , guides , tensioners etc

IMG_2086.jpeg
43k on the engine. I'm not sure about doing both sides as the engine will still be intact before the work starts so that's stripping both banks down instead of just the one though obv taking off the front of the car plus taking out the radiator (if needed) will be the same time / effort involved whether doing one or both banks. Tis a pain in the wallet

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You basically have to disassemble the the same amount of items to change 1 as you do for changing all.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Dan is 100% right , Doing the other side would only add a very small amount of time. it’s only an extra 6 bolts on the phasers.
what if it is simply gunk build up inside them. You replace one , and then 6 months down the road you get same problem on other side. Much cheaper to do it once.

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
aye it didn't take mechanic long to remove the cam cover on Bank 2 so i guess he'll be quicker with more practice but obv engine still in the bay so it's not easy free for all access and as Tim says it's a big job. You've given me much food for thought and confirmed the parts are different inlet/exhaust so aye Ford UK are sniffing glue.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
aye it didn't take mechanic long to remove the cam cover on Bank 2 so i guess he'll be quicker with more practice but obv engine still in the bay so it's not easy free for all access and as Tim says it's a big job.
To change the phasers you don't remove the cam cover but the timing chain cover.
The latter being V-shaped, when you remove it, you have both sides exposed.

Plus, to change just 1 phasers, timing chains have to go down.
Do all of them, Dan is absolutely 100% correct.

OP
OP

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
To change the phasers you don't remove the cam cover but the timing chain cover.
The latter being V-shaped, when you remove it, you have both sides exposed.

Plus, to change just 1 phasers, timing chains have to go down.
Do all of them, Dan is absolutely 100% correct.
naw man, you have to remove the cam covers cause the phasers / sprockets are right inside the heads and no way they are coming out horizontally
IMG_20240329_094631_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240329_094515_HDR.jpg
Sponsored