Sponsored

400HP 2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If you're looking for a fun, mid-low 12s car, both the GT and EB will be able to accomplish that with close costs. As soon as you go lower than that, I feel you'll start to see that price really skyrocket on either car.
Except Bama running 11.2 on a basic GT with simply CAI/tune/full exhaust with headers (allegedly some "custom" suspension but who knows how much difference that did or didn't make vs stock). Of course not stock tires but still that's insane for bolt ons that cost under $2,000 :thumbsup:

I prefer my power with a warranty too (no tune just exhaust bolted on).
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Except Bama running 11.2 on a basic GT with simply CAI/tune/full exhaust with headers (allegedly some "custom" suspension but who knows how much difference that did or didn't make vs stock). Of course not stock tires but still that's insane for bolt ons that cost under $2,000 :thumbsup:

I prefer my power with a warranty too (no tune just exhaust bolted on).
Just watched that video. They broke the halfshafts/trans, stripped the interior, ran custom suspension, and it still isn't even clear if that tune is available to a customer. That run cost them a lot more than $2k... lol yeah, that one doesn't really count. An EB ran 11.19 with a stripped hyper build like that, stock internals.

EDIT: Either way, builds like that N/A GT and that EB aren't really relevant. That isn't a car you'd want to drive. I'm talking daily driver type mods.

Sponsored

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
SOO, correct me if im wrong, but 400whp with an upgraded turbo, bolt-ons and tune? That's not very impressive, to me. That is what? 110 hp over stock whp? I feel like it should be higher, coming from an import world that sees massive improvements from bigger/aftermarket turbos. Perhaps, i am being pessimistic, but ill keep my 5.0 and all its raw v8 power.
A lot of people think that imports should just make massive power with a bigger turbo and that is all hype. With a bunch of bolt-on parts, making 110hp over stock is about right. To make much more, that engine is going to have to come out and they are going to have to reinforce that motor. Blueprinting, forged internals, sleeves, the works. Then to top it off, one MASSIVE turbo and inter-cooler will be required.

I went through a lot of that nonsense to get my STI a bit over 450whp and by that point, drivability went right out of the window. My boost threshold moved considerably and driving the car in traffic could be a chore during rush hour.

I understand the Ecoboost motor is a bit different from Subaru's antiquated EJ series motors (twin scroll turbo, direct injection, blah, blah). It may take a bit more to break it, but with only a turbo and a few bolt-on parts, 100whp sounds right.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
A lot of people think that imports should just make massive power with a bigger turbo and that is all hype. With a bunch of bolt-on parts, making 110hp over stock is about right. To make much more, that engine is going to have to come out and they are going to have to reinforce that motor. Blueprinting, forged internals, sleeves, the works. Then to top it off, one MASSIVE turbo and inter-cooler will be required.

I went through a lot of that nonsense to get my STI a bit over 450whp and by that point, drivability went right out of the window. My boost threshold moved considerably and driving the car in traffic could be a chore during rush hour.

I understand the Ecoboost motor is a bit different from Subaru's antiquated EJ series motors (twin scroll turbo, direct injection, blah, blah). It may take a bit more to break it, but with only a turbo and a few bolt-on parts, 100whp sounds right.
Take a look at the dyno graph on pages 1 and 3 of the link I posted. They got almost 200rwhp (peak numbers) out of what they are calling a medium sized turbo. Other cars have stock dyno numbers of 40-50rwhp more than their stock run so we can't get caught up in the 440 number because other cars (and dynos) might see closer to 500rwhp on this same setup. Would it be impressive then?

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I would be really impressed if they could replicate those numbers on a stock block and test it for durability.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Take a look at the dyno graph on pages 1 and 3 of the link I posted. They got almost 200rwhp (peak numbers) out of what they are calling a medium sized turbo. Other cars have stock dyno numbers of 40-50rwhp more than their stock run so we can't get caught up in the 440 number because other cars (and dynos) might see closer to 500rwhp on this same setup. Would it be impressive then?
I didn't say it wasn't impressive, did I? What I submitted was a realistic point of view based on past experience, albeit with a different platform. Once again, I admit that the Ecoboost is something new and special altogether. However, I'm not going to believe the hype until one of these machines with this setup is running the streets and not destroying itself within 10000 miles.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I didn't say it wasn't impressive, did I? What I submitted was a realistic point of view based on past experience, albeit with a different platform. Once again, I admit that the Ecoboost is something new and special altogether. However, I'm not going to believe the hype until one of these machines with this setup is running the streets and not destroying itself within 10000 miles.
The last part wasn't directed at you, more for some of the others in here. I'm simply showing they got significant gains that are being overlooked. There is no reason this setup can't be maintained and reliable over time, but it doesn't happen over night.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
You can't always have your cake and eat it too. Gotta pay to play and if you want an upgraded turbo you might have to dust off the credit card.
Ain't that the truth...

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
You can't always have your cake and eat it too. Gotta pay to play and if you want an upgraded turbo you might have to dust off the credit card.

Although those numbers are on a built motor, if they could replicate those numbers on a stock block with miles and miles of durability testing through everyday use then sign me up. Until then I'll be fine with bolt on mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Not knocking what they are doing but it it has to be kept in perspective. They have already opened the motor and replaced the rods and pistons. Along with the other list including a different turbo. That's not exactly lightly worked. Once you open the motor honestly you cross a threshold a lot of people won't cross to make the power.

There's another thread on here somewhere about a 2015 GT with a built motor going for 1000 hp - but really is that a 2015 Mustang at that point or just a race motor in a 2015 car? To me once you start swapping internals on the motor I feel you can no longer really say "the ecoboost motor" did this or that. Really it's a significantly different engine from that point.
Sponsored