3rd trip to Heartland Park

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Went back to HPM for a third Track Night in America this past Tuesday night.

Of course, me being me, the day stated out rough. Went to work in the morning, left the company laptop at home. Left my computer glasses, at home. Finally got out the door and home. Met my son there with his V6 1LE Camaro. Got loaded up, hit the road and made it to the track. Got checked in, everything's good to go. Let me just get my camera hooked up... shit. Left the mounting case on my desk at work. No worries, I had stopped and picked up a windshield mount for the phone so I could use the Track Addict app. Can't get that to adjust right. Finally get it close, and realize I can't get to the app because I've got the camera facing out and the screen is against the mount. Yank that off and throw the whole contraption in the arm rest console. Didn't think about just turning the phone around and using the front camera!.

So no pics or video. That sucked. But had a blast again. Felt way more comfortable. Seems like the last session there are way fewer cars and had a chance to really run pretty much by myself. The only cars I could see were a Miata out front and my son behind me. I think I turned some pretty decent laps times. Just using the lap timer in the car, and hitting the lap button at more or less the same spot on the track. Not super accurate, I know, but it's close enough for government work. Running about a 2:15 lap time. I feel like I'm running better, smoother. Some areas are still a little tough. I'm working up to holding speed longer into corners before braking.

I did get to drive the Camaro. Just on the tour laps though, so tough to get a feel for it at speed. The seat sucks. Even at slow tour lap speeds, I could feel myself sliding around way too much. But, it felt great to drive. It felt super light in the curves. Very planted, and very responsive. I would love to drive it at speed. And I'd bet the V8 would be even better.

Now I just need to figure out how to cut my lap times down. And get to some different tracks!
Sponsored