Sponsored

30,000 mile club

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
JC! The C&D guys must’ve been chomping down that pizza while driving.... that’s a lot of coated sweat and grease on that thing...

This is from Car&Driver's 30K mi update. Does anyone else's steering wheel look like this? :shock:

"The once warm and fuzzy microsuede steering wheel, soiled over time with hand-care products and sweat, now resembles a beat-up piece of old leather, confirming our suspicions that, when used as a steering-wheel wrap, the material isn't cut out for longevity."

2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-lt30k-114-149-1536857366.jpg
Sponsored

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
This is from Car&Driver's 30K mi update. Does anyone else's steering wheel look like this? :shock:

"The once warm and fuzzy microsuede steering wheel, soiled over time with hand-care products and sweat, now resembles a beat-up piece of old leather, confirming our suspicions that, when used as a steering-wheel wrap, the material isn't cut out for longevity."

It's funny, because when I went to Track Attack a few weeks ago, I was like "wow they swapped to leather steering wheels, wonder why they did that?". Then after taking a closer look, I realized it was in fact the Alcantara and it just turned from suede to leather, lol.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I’m at 31,600, but have been driving it much less now that I have a commuter car. Still do at least one day a week though.

No major issues to speak of, but a couple of the usual minor ones.

Car goes through oil at about 1 quart per 1500 miles. Has a vibration at 1800ish RPM that is annoying. And has the panel gap issue at the rear bumper. Loving the car though. And it runs great.

Been to 5 track days, changed the tires at 20,000 miles after three of them. Installed new OEM rotors and pads up front.

Overall it has been awesome.

Oh, and I wipe down the steering wheel with a damp towel when I wash the car and it seems to be holding up fine.

-T

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

My steering wheel does not have that problem.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yea it is. I mean, a wheel like this takes a little extra care and detail, but that borders on downright abuse. At TrackAttack right now. Those steering wheels are abused. Not like they full detail these cars after every use. No reason this material won’t last with the right care.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Clean mitts and occasional maintenance keep alcantara looking new. I always wash up after stopping off for a meal, and every month or so I wipe the wheel down with a damp, white cotton towel (microfiber is fine, but cotton lifts the nap a little better IME). The alcantara stays looking good. Nothing wrong with leather, but alcantara is more unique and worth the little extra effort IMO.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Clean mitts and occasional maintenance keep alcantara looking new. I always wash up after stopping off for a meal, and every month or so I wipe the wheel down with a damp, white cotton towel (microfiber is fine, but cotton lifts the nap a little better IME). The alcantara stays looking good. Nothing wrong with leather, but alcantara is more unique and worth the little extra effort IMO.
Alcantara is superior when it comes to grip. My race glove have alcantara palm and they stick like glue to the wheel.
Sponsored