3" Cat back on Vert?

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
I inquired with Borla about 3" ATAK on my vert.

Their reply:

"You can’t have a 3” exhaust on a convertible. This part will not work."

Is this true? :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

Buzz
Sponsored

Mullethunter324

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Vert / 2009 Cobalt SS
I believe this is due to the rear bracing. Most exhausts require a bunch of special bends to work around the bracing hence why there is so few 3" vert exhausts. I know of a shop that is working on a new rear brace for the verts that should theoretically allow any 3" exhaust. Hopefully I will get some news from them in the coming weeks if it is feasible or not.

OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
I believe this is due to the rear bracing. Most exhausts require a bunch of special bends to work around the bracing hence why there is so few 3" vert exhausts. I know of a shop that is working on a new rear brace for the verts that should theoretically allow any 3" exhaust. Hopefully I will get some news from them in the coming weeks if it is feasible or not.
That would be great. It would be a shame to put long pipes into 2.5 vs. 3". I'm sure the .5" along the entire route x two pipes, is a significant amount of volume.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert

Sponsored

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I am quite skeptical about the fitment of this 3" system on a convertible S550. I had a family member searching for aftermarket exhausts for his ecoboost convertible, and it was very difficult to find any products that would be compatible to fit within the convertible braces at the rear of the vehicle.

He ended up choosing a 2.5" ATAK system, and it was a tight fit in the space between the suspension and the convertible brace... the pipes were literally sitting snug and laying on top of the brace itself. I do not recall the amount of clearance above the pipe, but in order to center the tailpipes in the bumper cutouts, the adjustment of the cat-back left little choice than the entire exhaust system being pressed up by the convertible braces.

It would be extremely interesting to see if this kit has the adjustability to center the pipes inside of the space created by the convertible braces concurrently with the centering the tailpipe within the space of the opening in the rear fascia.

OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
I am quite skeptical about the fitment of this 3" system on a convertible S550. I had a family member searching for aftermarket exhausts for his ecoboost convertible, and it was very difficult to find any products that would be compatible to fit within the convertible braces at the rear of the vehicle.

He ended up choosing a 2.5" ATAK system, and it was a tight fit in the space between the suspension and the convertible brace... the pipes were literally sitting snug and laying on top of the brace itself. I do not recall the amount of clearance above the pipe, but in order to center the tailpipes in the bumper cutouts, the adjustment of the cat-back left little choice than the entire exhaust system being pressed up by the convertible braces.

It would be extremely interesting to see if this kit has the adjustability to center the pipes inside of the space created by the convertible braces concurrently with the centering the tailpipe within the space of the opening in the rear fascia.
From their website...

- "Fits Coupe and Convertible (we were able to thread the 3” pipe through the bracing on the convertible for free uninterrupted flow)"

- "The Solo Tailpipe section has been built with ease of installation in mind. The pivotal, telescoping tailpipe assembly gives you an easy way to center the 4.5” tip the first try."

Finding more youtube vids. Sounds nice
Capture.JPG

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
From their website...

- "Fits Coupe and Convertible (we were able to thread the 3” pipe through the bracing on the convertible for free uninterrupted flow)"

- "The Solo Tailpipe section has been built with ease of installation in mind. The pivotal, telescoping tailpipe assembly gives you an easy way to center the 4.5” tip the first try."

Finding more youtube vids. Sounds nice
Yeah, FWIW, the install is much easier if you pull the brace, bolt up the exhaust, re-install the brace (especially with a lift/air tools).

I researched exhausts quite a bit as there were many popular models that wouldn't fit, though a decent number of manufacturers have revised to deal with the convertible bracing.

A few cool things about the Solo II system:

You posted the first, the tips are on ball joints so it's easy to get them really aligned in the rear fascia cutouts.

The J-pipes do a good job of minimizing drone.

The center section is modular across all models, so you can swap between an 18" or 11" resonator/X-over (quietest to louder), or run a non-resonated X-over ("race"/loudest).

Mixedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ARH Headers to American thunder on my vert ... 3" all the way

Sponsored
OP
OP
buzzcii

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert

TCZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT Convertible
I plan on getting the Magnaflow Street as well. Sounds great. Not too crazy.
My understanding is that the initial release of the Street model had install issues but they later made changes to the design to work with the convertible.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Three revisions change from MBRP and was never able to get the exhaust from hitting the support bars on the convertible. Went with the Magnaflow system and fit like butter and sounds great!!!

Madmax69ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Yellow Vert
Three revisions change from MBRP and was never able to get the exhaust from hitting the support bars on the convertible. Went with the Magnaflow system and fit like butter and sounds great!!!
Nice to know that ! I am getting the run around with them. I first had their initial design which had a one piece muffler from their H-pipe. Then they sent me the revised 2 piece muffler; no change ... can't clear the bracing. They insist it fits and don't want to take it back.

Whenever I solve this, I'm thinking either the Magnaflow Street or Borla Touring, any opinions ?
Sponsored