Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Actually AT THIS MOMENT they do.

I’m not an Automotive Designer but in my “Launch experience” I can tell you that being “this close” to the launch (of a completely new model) they already know how it’s going to look.

I would like to be included in that “bet”, not with the “every dime I have” part, but we can figure something out hahahaha :lol: . In order for engineering to start working on the project they need to have a design and we are barely 3 years away from Launch (which is not going to be just a facelift or a major change, it’s an all new generation), so trust me, they already do how it’s going to look.
Now that I think about it, it is possible that there was already a design for a “smaller mustang” but since they decided to go in a different direction in order to save money and not upset the “Mustang fans”, they choose to keep the same proportions and change the design almost completely (this process takes around 8 months), so maybe that’s why it got delayed from ’21 to ’22.
Precisely! The new stang is going to go on sale within the next 2 or 3 years and for some to suggest that Ford doesn't know how it looks like now is just pure nonsense. IF that were the case then we wouldn't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 at the earliest if not MY '24---which is not going to happen! I'am still sticking with the mustang being cd6 based and on sale by MY '22.
Sponsored

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There is that assumption it's all new...

Furthermore tophatting a platform is also different then developing the lead vehicle on a platform. If S650 is on CD6 it's not the first.

There was no math data for a shorter mustang to my understanding it never made it farther then initial consideration and rough business plan.

You can doubt it all you want, but I have alot of insight to the exterior, I won't say more then I already have.
If what you said is true about the design not locked in now, we would't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 or maybe even '24. And we both know thats not going to happen.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
If what you said is true about the design not locked in now, we would't be seeing a new mustang till at least MY '23 or maybe even '24. And we both know thats not going to happen.
Or it actually is largely carry over s550 with a full top hat and a mild tear up for hybrid considerations.

You guy's should rematch a faster horse. The s550 didn't even physically exist a year prior to job 1.

While work does start rather early on future programs for most oem's it's generally a small advanced team as business cases evolve and become more concrete additional resources are allocated.

You guy's have to think.of it like this. If it's is carryover or upgraded s550, there isn't nearly the amount of validation that need to take place as a true new platform.

If it is CD6, again another vehicle program is validating CD6, aside from body, sealing and NVH, and potential unique mustang considerations; S650 doesn't need 2.5 years to get it on CD6. Other engineers and programs like the explorer are doing that.

That's enough time to top hat. There has been alot of feedback about the 18 mca, and and the 6th gen camaro, and 19 camaro MCA. Many feel it's a step backwards. Ford wants to be seen as progressive across the whole company Mustang included so ots a very delibrate step.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I've only posted this about a dozen times........so at some point someone at Ford will get the memo :D

Just save yourself some design time and just use this!! :headbang:
Just my opinion, but that seems like a 90's concept. Sorry I know how much you love it

It's okay...I've posted this before too...

18.jpg
This is not bad. Similar to what we have now and has that Aston Martin vibe. But it's too soft.

I want aggresive evolution of the current form. These are the examples I always point to.
S650-Mustang-Concept-3-657x360.jpg
downloadfile.jpg

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Just my opinion, but that seems like a 90's concept. Sorry I know how much you love it

This is not bad. Similar to what we have now and has that Aston Martin vibe. But it's too soft.

I want aggresive evolution of the current form. These are the examples I always point to.
Unfortunately what you described as negative is where things are going.

Using shape and light vs aggressive lines to show form is the future, the Aviator is distinct but not agressive.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Unfortunately what you described as negative is where things are going.

Using shape and light vs aggressive lines to show form is the future, the Aviator is distinct but not agressive.
Oh, well I wouldn't say I want sharp lines like a Lambo so to speak. I'm fine with shapelyness (if that's a word lol). I Just find the 2 examples I cited to be too bland. Not enough shape, just soft, definently not distinct IMO.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There has been alot of feedback about the 18 mca, and and the 6th gen camaro, and 19 camaro MCA. Many feel it's a step backwards. Ford wants to be seen as progressive across the whole company Mustang included so ots a very delibrate step.
Whilst I'm glad Ford listen to feedback, I hope they don't feel the '18 MCA is a step back. I know many '15-'17 owners have been very vocal, but its natural for many owners of a current car (which they love) to be critical about any changes. Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

We hear the same outcry with every new generation or MCA.......but give it 6 months and many of those detractors end up liking it.

For me, the '18 is progressive, and "fixes" the only problems I had with the '15, which was the headlamps and lower fascia (although I'll admit, the '18 lower fascia has taken time to grow on me)

Interesting you bring up the Lincoln Aviator. That is, indeed, a very handsome car and, if I'm not mistaken, it was penned by Kemal Curic, designer of the '15 Mustang. I'd be happy for him to have the pen that designs the '22 :)

Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Interesting you bring up the Lincoln Aviator. That is, indeed, a very handsome car and, if I'm not mistaken, it was penned by Kemal Curic, designer of the '15 Mustang. I'd be happy for him to have the pen that designs the '22 :)
We agree on both counts. I don't want anyone else but Kemal Curic drafting the next Mustang. Yes, the Aviator is indeed handsome.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I would probably buy anything designed by Kemal Curic!!
Regarding the Aviator, my local Ford dealer is building a new Lincoln showroom.
My wife works at the dealership and I strongly suggested to her that the Aviator will be a grand slam.
It is stunning...and just what Lincoln needed to compete in this market segment.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
2_A.jpg

I really like it, too. But then I'm an S197 owner and that, to me, looks like what an evolution of the S197 might have looked like.

I don't think Ford will play the retro look again though.....although certain things I'd like to see return, like the hockey stick side design. But the '22MY needs to have a modern look, whilst still keeping a few traditional cues.

I'd also like to see a return of the "dorito" rear 3/4 window......that is a very unique Mustang look. I don't think it'll happen though.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Misspokesperson...:doh:

UPDATE: A Ford spokesperson has told Autoblog that the Mustang hybrid is coming in 2020. This article has been update to reflect that.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/19/ford-mustang-hybrid-ev-awd/

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...ying-to-please-all-with-new-mustang-variants/
I don't trust a think to Autoblog (I have very good reasons that I'd like to keep to myself, but it was years ago). They are saying that the Mustang Hybrid is COMING in 2020... Does that means that the rumors about the S650 being sent to 2021 Calendar Year are just a lie?

If that's the case the whole S550 "GT500 thing" will be for only one model year (2020MY and that's it) OR the Hybrid will be offered under the 6th generation for just one year (I don't think Ford is that stupid to do that).

Or it actually is largely carry over s550 with a full top hat and a mild tear up for hybrid considerations.
That doesn't sound crazy at all, it would match with Hackett's vision as well... and it's also a possibilty (like some people said) about it being just a tophat for the current platform (not CD6 based).

The question is.... What would be cheaper? (We all know that that's what Ford wants)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.