2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
S650 isn't getting smaller, it will keep similar portions.

You won't see any prototypes q4 this year, it's way to early, Ford doesn't even know what it looks like yet.

It won't look like s550, and it will be discernible at a distance from s550 to ensure everyone knows it's new.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
thedetroitbureau.com said:
Even while pushing the limits with its classic 5.0-liter V-8 powertrain, Mustang will shift into a new direction with the debut of its first-ever hybrid model due out sometime during the 2019 calendar year.
Nope, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the Mustang Hybrid during the 6th Gen and since it looks like the S650 will arrive as a 2022MY, we won't see the Hybrid until 2021 Calendar year.

thedetroitbureau.com said:
...That’s the sort of formula Ford will have to keep in mind as it begins working on the next-generation Mustang due to market early in the coming decade. Ford will be weighing a variety of options going forward, including all-wheel-drive and even the possibility of an all-electric Mustang.
Really? I don't see this happening until the 8th Gen or after....

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

You won't see any prototypes q4 this year, it's way to early, Ford doesn't even know what it looks like yet.

It won't look like s550, and it will be discernible at a distance from s550 to ensure everyone knows it's new.
I don't think anybody was truly expecting the next mustang to go considerably smaller like some have speculated about. Although I do see them shaving off 2 maybe 3 inches off the length to make it tighter looking like many have been clamoring for including myself. Lets be honest--the current car is a bit too long!

I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good article.......shame they take a swipe at the poor old Mustang II. They should have clarified (in my opinion) it was the lack of a V8 in the first II that hit enthusiasts hardest. In terms of sales, the II was a home run.

It'll be on the drawing board by now though......and possibly at the clay stage I'd have hoped. The S550 design started pretty much as the '10MY hit the streets.

Nope, I'm pretty sure they won't offer the Mustang Hybrid during the 6th Gen and since it looks like the S650 will arrive as a 2022MY, we won't see the Hybrid until 2021 Calendar year.
I know Ford quoted there would be a hybrid Mustang for 2020. Our assumption was that would be the '21MY and the all new model, but rumours indicate the next-gen car will be a '22MY. My thoughts are the hybrid would be pushed back, so to hear it'll be here potentially next year, is a big surprise, and you'd have so assume it's S550 based.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I don't think anybody was truly expecting the next mustang to go considerably smaller like some have speculated about. Although I do see them shaving off 2 maybe 3 inches off the length to make it tighter looking like many have been clamoring for including myself. Lets be honest--the current car is a bit too long!

I assure you that by now ford definitely knows how the car will look like. Ask any automotive designer and they will tell you that the design is typically finished in the first 18 months during the development process. Of course their could be some last minute detail changes but even then those are small mickey mouse changes that won't delay the launch of the car.
I can assure you they dont. I would put every dime I have on that bet. They are getting close though.

The Bronco isn't even finalized and it has been teased.

There is a theme, and a series of designs from a few designers and their interpretation of that. I would estimate 4-7 months the whole team will be working behind a single design, and engineering and manufacturing will start really working through seeing how feasible it is.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Considering it's currently the same length as the camaro....I wouldn't expect the mustang to get any smaller until they completely ditch the 5.0 engine. They could possibly mess around with overhangs a bit to make it look smaller...but 2-3" is quite a bit of real-estate to lose while maintaining federal crash standards.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There is a theme, and a series of designs from a few designers and their interpretation of that. I would estimate 4-7 months the whole team will be working behind a single design, and engineering and manufacturing will start really working through seeing how feasible it is.

A post from a man who sounds like he knows a thing or two. Appreciate your input :)

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Considering it's currently the same length as the camaro....I wouldn't expect the mustang to get any smaller until they completely ditch the 5.0 engine. They could possibly mess around with overhangs a bit to make it look smaller...but 2-3" is quite a bit of real-estate to lose while maintaining federal crash standards.
Crash performance is one of the largest driver's of vehicle weight due to body structure and airbag content.

Small over lap has added a far amount of weight. That is one reason the S550 has those huge steel plates that run from the outer front frame rail to the hinge pillar complimenting the torque box structure.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I know Ford quoted there would be a hybrid Mustang for 2020. Our assumption was that would be the '21MY and the all new model, but rumours indicate the next-gen car will be a '22MY. My thoughts are the hybrid would be pushed back, so to hear it'll be here potentially next year, is a big surprise, and you'd have so assume it's S550 based.
Ford quoted there would by a Hybrid Mustang by 2020 (and yes, the assumption was that would be the ‘21MY with the all new model), however the rumors also imply that the next generation was pushed back one year to ‘22MY.
In my opinion they had “obsolete and incomplete” information so I wouldn’t trust them (I trust more on this forum).

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Actually AT THIS MOMENT they do.
I’m not an Automotive Designer but in my “Launch experience” I can tell you that being “this close” to the launch (of a completely new model) they already know how it’s going to look.

I can assure you they dont. I would put every dime I have on that bet. They are getting close though.
The Bronco isn't even finalized and it has been teased.
I would like to be included in that “bet”, not with the “every dime I have” part, but we can figure something out hahahaha :lol: . In order for engineering to start working on the project they need to have a design and we are barely 3 years away from Launch (which is not going to be just a facelift or a major change, it’s an all new generation), so trust me, they already do how it’s going to look.
Now that I think about it, it is possible that there was already a design for a “smaller mustang” but since they decided to go in a different direction in order to save money and not upset the “Mustang fans”, they choose to keep the same proportions and change the design almost completely (this process takes around 8 months), so maybe that’s why it got delayed from ’21 to ’22.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
It's okay...I've posted this before too...

18.jpg

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Actually AT THIS MOMENT they do.

I’m not an Automotive Designer but in my “Launch experience” I can tell you that being “this close” to the launch (of a completely new model) they already know how it’s going to look.

I would like to be included in that “bet”, not with the “every dime I have” part, but we can figure something out hahahaha :lol: . In order for engineering to start working on the project they need to have a design and we are barely 3 years away from Launch (which is not going to be just a facelift or a major change, it’s an all new generation), so trust me, they already do how it’s going to look.
Now that I think about it, it is possible that there was already a design for a “smaller mustang” but since they decided to go in a different direction in order to save money and not upset the “Mustang fans”, they choose to keep the same proportions and change the design almost completely (this process takes around 8 months), so maybe that’s why it got delayed from ’21 to ’22.

There is that assumption it's all new...

Furthermore tophatting a platform is also different then developing the lead vehicle on a platform. If S650 is on CD6 it's not the first.

There was no math data for a shorter mustang to my understanding it never made it farther then initial consideration and rough business plan.

You can doubt it all you want, but I have alot of insight to the exterior, I won't say more then I already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.