2021 Mustang GT Auto with QA1 Rev series cabron fiber driveshaft-vibration

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Any suggestions for reducing the vibration at 60-80mph? I expected some but I have no idea what is the expected level should be. It feels like I'm on a rough road once I hit 65MPH through 80MPH. I can feel it a bit in the seat and in the steering wheel. I contacted QA1 and they say I should expect this but I could try indexing the drive shaft. Mine did not have the color dots. He said this indicates it balaced zero without the weighted spacers.

So do I index the pinion end 180 and see what happens, or the trans end? Or do I index it one bolt hole at a time in the rear and then the front?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Any suggestions for reducing the vibration at 60-80mph? I expected some but I have no idea what is the expected level should be. It feels like I'm on a rough road once I hit 65MPH through 80MPH. I can feel it a bit in the seat and in the steering wheel. I contacted QA1 and they say I should expect this but I could try indexing the drive shaft. Mine did not have the color dots. He said this indicates it balaced zero without the weighted spacers.

So do I index the pinion end 180 and see what happens, or the trans end? Or do I index it one bolt hole at a time in the rear and then the front?
An update. I did a runout test on the drive shaft at the front flange. Runout close to zero. Did the rear. Run out at .013". After removing the exhaust, x pipe, and disconnecting the rear end of the drive shaft, I removed the adaptor and rotated the high spot to the low.

Testing again got it better. Indexed another hole, got it down to .0055" runout. That took care of the vibration.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
So you mean you turned the rear pinion from it was originally at? I have mine off & in process of installing

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I think he meant he removed the adapter that sandwiches between the DS and the pinion flange and re-indexed it and got the runout down to a more acceptable level.

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
I have one on my '22 GT. I've reduced vibration, surprisingly, with the old hose clamp weight, at the front. I'm fairly convinced the QA is balanced right on. What isn't right on is the factory parts we're connecting to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I think he meant he removed the adapter that sandwiches between the DS and the pinion flange and re-indexed it and got the runout down to a more acceptable level.
Yes, the adaptor, keeping the adaptor indexing to the drive the same

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I marked everything the way it was, just haven't reinstalled the carbon yet. Just now started to read the instructions talking about turning something 180*

OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I marked everything the way it was, just haven't reinstalled the carbon yet. Just now started to read the instructions talking about turning something 180*
My advise is to get a dial indicator and check the run out and keep clocking it until you get the lowest runout.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
OP
OP
Robottrainer

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
On the rear end?
Yes, at the pinion flange adaptor but I would also check the front too. You will most likely find it necessary where an adaptor is used like with the QA1 shafts.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Yes, at the pinion flange adaptor but I would also check the front too. You will most likely find it necessary where an adaptor is used like with the QA1 shafts.
Ok, will do. Thank you!
Sponsored