Sponsored

2021 CFTP allocation & Carbon Fiber Handling Package

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Long time GT350R owner here. I’m considering a GT500 and am starting to think through options. Per the news landing page, the 2021 GT500 receives a[n optional] Carbon Fiber Handling Package:
  • On Mustang Shelby GT500, available Carbon Fiber Handling Package includes 20-inch black-painted carbon fiber wheels, adjustable strut top mounts, catch can, Gurney flap and splitter wicker.
Per my understanding, a 2021 GT500 with the Carbon Fiber Handling Package is essentially a 2020 GT500 with the Handling Pack, Ford Performance AOS, the above mentioned aero, and GT500 CFTP wheels but without the exposed carbon fiber (like a GT350R). Does that sound right? If so, it seems like an ideal option for somebody intending to track but who wants to retain a rear seat and/or for whom the CFTP is inaccessible.

I understand that the phrase “Golden Ticket” refers to a CFTP allocation, correct? My local dealer has a GT500 allocation but claims that any options can be ordered, CFTP included. That’s incorrect, right? When I got my GT350R the allocation was specific to the R—one couldn’t add the R option to a non-R allocation. I assume it’s the same with the GT500 CFTP?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Long time GT350R owner here. I’m considering a GT500 and am starting to think through options. Per the news landing page, the 2021 GT500 receives a[n optional] Carbon Fiber Handling Package:
  • On Mustang Shelby GT500, available Carbon Fiber Handling Package includes 20-inch black-painted carbon fiber wheels, adjustable strut top mounts, catch can, Gurney flap and splitter wicker.
Per my understanding, a 2021 GT500 with the Carbon Fiber Handling Package is essentially a 2020 GT500 with the Handling Pack, Ford Performance AOS, the above mentioned aero, and GT500 CFTP wheels but without the exposed carbon fiber (like a GT350R). Does that sound right? If so, it seems like an ideal option for somebody intending to track but who wants to retain a rear seat and/or for whom the CFTP is inaccessible.

I understand that the phrase “Golden Ticket” refers to a CFTP allocation, correct? My local dealer has a GT500 allocation but claims that any options can be ordered, CFTP included. That’s incorrect, right? When I got my GT350R the allocation was specific to the R—one couldn’t add the R option to a non-R allocation. I assume it’s the same with the GT500 CFTP?
Yes, that is all correct based upon the info that has been released so far. Just like the R, the CFTP is a special allocation. It has not been announced if the CFHP will be, but I'd bet it will. If I were you, I'd do the math. How many GT500 allocations did they get for 2020? How many CFTP? If they did get a bunch of allocations, make your deal and put it in writing. The only reason my deal didn't fall through is because I had it all in writing in no uncertain terms as to our agreement.

Unlike the R, the 500s don't have special stitching. If the back seat is really important to you, you can order a base back seat and install it after the fact.

So if you were able to get a CFTP, adding a back seat wouldn't be a mismatch like it would with the R.

Edited to add:
The Golden ticket was a term used for the CFTP and/or painted stripes. It still has not been announced if the painted stripes will be available in 21. There were so many problems with penske this year with the painted stripes, I'd be surprised if they are offered. As far as I have seen, it hasn't been announced that the CFTP will be available either, but I would bet it would.

Last edited:

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
So interesting you mention having a deal with your dealership ahead of time. I had a deal done before I submitted my paperwork. When the car arrived they tried to bail.

Gave reasons like they didn't know the car was going to be a CFTP and had a high sticker price. The list goes on. Apparently they called their dealer rep and were told that the car was for me not them.

We didn't let them do anything on the car. Paid for it and took it off the lot. Didn't want the chance they'd find another reason to steal it away.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
So interesting you mention having a deal with your dealership ahead of time. I had a deal done before I submitted my paperwork. When the car arrived they tried to bail.

Gave reasons like they didn't know the car was going to be a CFTP and had a high sticker price. The list goes on. Apparently they called their dealer rep and were told that the car was for me not them.

We didn't let them do anything on the car. Paid for it and took it off the lot. Didn't want the chance they'd find another reason to steal it away.
You gotta tell me where in STL that happened. I'm about to get mine, so far the dealer has been top notch but i know there are some in the area i wouldn't touch.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Was that at Bomarito Ford?

Sponsored

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
Was that at Bomarito Ford?
No. Friend of mine bought his from Bommarito and they were fantastic to work with.

Sorry, I won't give bad publicity in a public forum as that isn't good for anyone.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No. Friend of mine bought his from Bommarito and they were fantastic to work with.

Sorry, I won't give bad publicity in a public forum as that isn't good for anyone.
I asked because I bought my base GT350R from Bommarito. They were good to work with, I agree.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
I mean hey, if anyone has a Shelby rear seat delete I'd love to trade for my stock 500 back seats. If seats are so important to you.
Sponsored