Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2003 Silverado, 2020 Mustang GT PP2
View attachment 489438 Update: So I found a body shop that is certified to work on Porsche, BMW etc they fix a lot of high end vehicles and they do quality work so I decided to use them. After getting the initial estimate for the insurance company, told them my expectations for the finished product I felt good leaving my Mustang with them. (Monday 6th)

Well things went sideways...they were going to paint the rear quarter, pillar back to front and blend into the passenger door. The insurance company approved removing the rear bumper, taillight, lower side skirt, door handle, mirror and drip rail moulding and wanted to leave the quarter Window in place.
I told the shop the window should be removed and they should fight with the insurance company so the job could be done right. They ended up leaving the window in.

So they did the work and I received a call (Friday 10th) saying the quarter window was damaged as the masking tape left a line on the moulding after the car was baked in the booth. So I left work and went to see what was going on and sure enough it was damaged and I also noticed a heavy line of clear on the edge of the rear quarter by the bumper which they agreed needed some wet sanding.
Also that weekend they left my car outside all weekend in their back lot which I was not happy with at all as I was under the impression they would have the vehicle stored inside.

So on the Monday I went down to the shop and talked to the Manager and he agreed the window should have been removed and they had ordered a new Ford OEM window. Also they should have not left the Mustang outside all weekend. The window would be installed and the Mustang would be ready on Wednesday 15th....

So I get a call yesterday (Thursday) saying they sanded through the clear and the quarter would need to be repainted, I think they pulled the quarter window and since they painted around it there were paint issues. So at the end of the day it will have been 2 Weeks since I left my 650km Mustang with them and I am hoping she is repaired 100% as they know I am expecting it.

I have never had good luck when I have sent any of my vehicles In for work and was stressing out when I dropped her off....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well that sucks should’ve just used the Ford dealers body shop.

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
The problem is the Ford body shop is questionable and I was there the previous week having them look at my misaligned fender (Warranty) and the manager used to work for the shop I was using and agreed they would be the best to perform the repair....go figure

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The problem is the Ford body shop is questionable and I was there the previous week having them look at my misaligned fender (Warranty) and the manager used to work for the shop I was using and agreed they would be the best to perform the repair....go figure
then they’re both shitty

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yikes OP. I feel for you.
This is why in my earlier post, I was advocating for trying to avoid a full repaint, if at all possible, of the entire quarter. Because more than likely, they would say they have to blend into the door, and now you have 2 panels on your brand new Stang that are no longer factory paint (although the factory paint itself is questionable in quality anyway)

There are pro detailers out there that can, at a high level:
1. Scrape the chips to bare metal
2. Use sparing amount of paint to cover each blemish.
3. Sand; repeat step 2 if needed. Sand again.
4. Put some small amount of clear.
5. Sand. Repeat step 4 if needed.
6. Final Polish of the whole area.

It wouldn't be 100%, but it can be very, very close.

And if one of the damaged areas caused a dent, PDR could be used. (not too sure from the original pics.)

I hope that this all works out for you, and body shop does well.
I also have not had good luck with body shops in the past. Any of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Yikes OP. I feel for you.
This is why in my earlier post, I was advocating for trying to avoid a full repaint, if at all possible, of the entire quarter. Because more than likely, they would say they have to blend into the door, and now you have 2 panels on your brand new Stang that are no longer factory paint (although the factory paint itself is questionable in quality anyway)

There are pro detailers out there that can, at a high level:
1. Scrape the chips to bare metal
2. Use sparing amount of paint to cover each blemish.
3. Sand; repeat step 2 if needed. Sand again.
4. Put some small amount of clear.
5. Sand. Repeat step 4 if needed.
6. Final Polish of the whole area.

It wouldn't be 100%, but it can be very, very close.

And if one of the damaged areas caused a dent, PDR could be used. (not too sure from the original pics.)

I hope that this all works out for you, and body shop does well.
I also have not had good luck with body shops in the past. Any of them.
I contemplated trying to have a smaller repair done vs repainting almost the whole side of the car, then I figured I’d go all in and have the larger repair done. Have to say when I looked at the car the match was bang on and the metallic was identical to the rear bumper and trunk, however now that they are redoing the job I hope it is just the same .

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I contemplated trying to have a smaller repair done vs repainting almost the whole side of the car, then I figured I’d go all in and have the larger repair done. Have to say when I looked at the car the match was bang on and the metallic was identical to the rear bumper and trunk, however now that they are redoing the job I hope it is just the same .
Hoping the for best as well :thumbsup:
Sometimes, the body shop will need a second change to fix the mistake, and after, it'll be all good.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
A722B8A6-9D8C-4697-9AE0-5F8918C764E6.jpeg
So after a 7 month wait I finally get my PP2, the dealer doesn’t touch her aside from the PDI. I take care of the clean up and detail so the paint is flawless and what should happen after less than 3 months of ownership? The quarter panel meets a metal squeegee falling as I go to grab a ladder in the garage.

There is a little more to the story as my 4 year old lets the cats in the garage as I go to grab the ladder I turn my attention in their direction so I didn’t notice the squeegee by the ladder. I basically watched in slow motion as it hit my car and the wife came into the garage as it happened, she could feel my pain.

So I guess now I will find out how well Iconic Silver can be matched......

I know it could always be worse but
I am definitely done with 2020!!
I feel your pain man because I’m super OCD about my car too but I have to tell myself that’s it’s a car after all and even though I baby it as much as I can, there will always be a time where a semi trailer flicks a rock up at my bonnet and the car will never be perfect unless you make it a garage queen. Never the less condolences to you man but there are some great touch up guys that can match paint perfectly(these are the guys that used car dealers use) otherwise you would have to go thru insurance and respray the whole side of the car.
Good luck man!

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I had a similar damage to rear quarter panel. I firmly believe in situations like this it's definitely better to let Ford dealer body shop do it. If you are not comfortable with your local dealer or whatever, then reach out to dealer in other city or district.

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had a similar damage to rear quarter panel. I firmly believe in situations like this it's definitely better to let Ford dealer body shop do it. If you are not comfortable with your local dealer or whatever, then reach out to dealer in other city or district.
yours got repaired alright?

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
I think the big problem is the insurance company since they didn’t want to pay to pull the quarter window, although the shop should have pushed them to allow time for the re and re. At least they are trying to make it right and they know my expectations. Although I did consider sending her to the other Ford dealer with a body shop that was farther away.

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Well the nightmare continues.....the body shop painted her a second time after burning through the paint when wet sanding. Went to pick up the Mustang July 21st and of course it was the end of the day and they parked her in the shade, everything looked ok so I paid my deductible and took her home. Went to wash her and was like wtf? There was a ridge above the wheel opening all the way around and being in the industry I could tell they didn’t properly prep/sand before the second time painting. Also the bumper was loose since they striped out the inserts by over tightening when reinstalling.

So when I brought the Mustang back to have them look at the issue they Said they would order the inserts for the rear bumper but we’re not repainting the quarter and I would just have to live with it. Of course I was pissed!! So I contacted my insurance company, brought her in for them to look at and they agreed the repair was poor, so they contacted the shop and were told they would fix it.

So a few weeks go by and I keep being told by the shop the parts from Ford are back ordered (of course thanks Covid). Ended up going down on Friday to talk to the manager, he comes out looks at the car and refuses to repaint the car and claims it has been repaired to industry standards, so I inform him that I will contact the insurance company and he’s like go ahead I don’t care.

So now after contacting the insurance company, they ended up talking to the shop manager they are basically going to charge the shop back and I will be able to go elsewhere to have a proper repair done.

I’ve included a picture of the ridge/paint build up which looks way worse in person, and had two other shops look at it and they agreed it definitely should not be like that.

475AEA7E-249A-4D3D-9F03-91AF159EF210.jpeg

gnarlycaveman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Well the nightmare continues.....the body shop painted her a second time after burning through the paint when wet sanding. Went to pick up the Mustang July 21st and of course it was the end of the day and they parked her in the shade, everything looked ok so I paid my deductible and took her home. Went to wash her and was like wtf? There was a ridge above the wheel opening all the way around and being in the industry I could tell they didn’t properly prep/sand before the second time painting. Also the bumper was loose since they striped out the inserts by over tightening when reinstalling.

So when I brought the Mustang back to have them look at the issue they Said they would order the inserts for the rear bumper but we’re not repainting the quarter and I would just have to live with it. Of course I was pissed!! So I contacted my insurance company, brought her in for them to look at and they agreed the repair was poor, so they contacted the shop and were told they would fix it.

So a few weeks go by and I keep being told by the shop the parts from Ford are back ordered (of course thanks Covid). Ended up going down on Friday to talk to the manager, he comes out looks at the car and refuses to repaint the car and claims it has been repaired to industry standards, so I inform him that I will contact the insurance company and he’s like go ahead I don’t care.

So now after contacting the insurance company, they ended up talking to the shop manager they are basically going to charge the shop back and I will be able to go elsewhere to have a proper repair done.

I’ve included a picture of the ridge/paint build up which looks way worse in person, and had two other shops look at it and they agreed it definitely should not be like that.

475AEA7E-249A-4D3D-9F03-91AF159EF210.jpeg
i'll never understand how there are shops that are in business that act and perform business like this. Its so hard to find a good trust worthy shop.
Sponsored