2020 GT350 vs. 2018 GT3

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
After two years and 20+ autocross events with a 991.2 GT3 manual, I have learned the car well. There are two things that make the GT3 superior to the GT350: Weight and rear-wheel steering.

The GT3 is a whopping 500+ pounds less! Can't ignore those physics. Combine that with rear wheel steering and the GT3 pivots surprisingly close to a mid-engine car. You can still induce lift-off oversteer and feel the weight of the back end, but it is so controllable that the 911 is no longer a widowmaker. Rear weight bias also makes pushing an issue with steering angle and aggressive throttle inputs. You can steer a GT350 with the throttle, but not a GT3.

However, the GT350 is not inferior by much. I love that the GT350 is manual only. The shifter is better than that in the GT3. I love that it makes you heel-and-toe yourself. The GT3 won't let you turn off auto rev match, unless you go full off on TC. That's annoying to me. I want a button to defeat it. Both have suspensions that are tuned to perfection. Both have an audio track that is bliss, but the Shelby has a V8. Both represent the best of their platforms. Both are driver's cars.
Sponsored

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Another 991.2 manual GT3 owner here: here’s my comparison I posted last summer in another thread:

Is it more fun? Yes, in a different way. Both are fun and fantastic cars. I think I said it before that at their heart they are both based on their basic model 911 and Mustang. They are then highly modified with a model specific engine. The primary intent of both is to maximize the performance envelope on the track with compromises and money spent to reduce weight and improve handling. The engine is unique on each and is also maximized for the track. In the end they come to the same place and deliver outstanding performance and driving pleasure. So to answer the question which is more fun? The GT3 edges out just a bit because it is based on a smaller and lighter chassis and therefore in comparison to the GT350R seems more capable on a country road. But that is only in comparison, if I didn't have the GT3 I wouldn't know any better and think the GT350R is awesome (which I do!). Where the GT350R shines is in the way power is delivered- relative to the GT3 the rush and pull at higher RPM is more dramatic. The newer four liter in the GT3 has pretty good torque down low and therefore pulls stronger all the way through the rev range. Faster, but not the same feel as catching that rush of torque and power from 5 to 8K on the GT350R.
That can make the GT350R plenty fun too.

Just lucky to have both!

One day I need to take a picture of them together LOL! Rose city we live in the same area, were you doing PCA autocross? I did a couple in 2019:

1612059986057.jpeg

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Great review. I've looked off and on, but cant justify the price point just yet for a GT3. (Hopefully one day and wifes approval). Was very impressed in the comfort and handling when I drove a GT3 at a supercar experience in Vegas.

Im an hour west of little rock via I-40. PM me when you want to hit some scenic roads. The R handles well on the pig trail.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Welcome back man. Love having my GT3 and GT500 alongside the R

A146BE56-E157-4045-B9C5-58CF9182B685.jpeg
24338239-9420-404A-9172-56D7A1328D98.jpeg

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Another 991.2 manual GT3 owner here: here’s my comparison I posted last summer in another thread:

Is it more fun? Yes, in a different way. Both are fun and fantastic cars. I think I said it before that at their heart they are both based on their basic model 911 and Mustang. They are then highly modified with a model specific engine. The primary intent of both is to maximize the performance envelope on the track with compromises and money spent to reduce weight and improve handling. The engine is unique on each and is also maximized for the track. In the end they come to the same place and deliver outstanding performance and driving pleasure. So to answer the question which is more fun? The GT3 edges out just a bit because it is based on a smaller and lighter chassis and therefore in comparison to the GT350R seems more capable on a country road. But that is only in comparison, if I didn't have the GT3 I wouldn't know any better and think the GT350R is awesome (which I do!). Where the GT350R shines is in the way power is delivered- relative to the GT3 the rush and pull at higher RPM is more dramatic. The newer four liter in the GT3 has pretty good torque down low and therefore pulls stronger all the way through the rev range. Faster, but not the same feel as catching that rush of torque and power from 5 to 8K on the GT350R.
That can make the GT350R plenty fun too.

Just lucky to have both!

One day I need to take a picture of them together LOL! Rose city we live in the same area, were you doing PCA autocross? I did a couple in 2019:

1612059986057.jpeg
I remember seeing your car at one of the ORPCA AX events. That PTS orange is awesome. IIRC, I was either driving a GT3 or a Boxster Spyder at that time. This season, I will be driving a 718 Spyder and GT4 at ORPCA events and the 350R at Bridge City Autosports events. Two of my sons will be campaigning my Miata and Mazdaspeed 6 or co-driving in the 350R.

Sponsored

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I remember seeing your car at one of the ORPCA AX events. That PTS orange is awesome. IIRC, I was either driving a GT3 or a Boxster Spyder at that time. This season, I will be driving a 718 Spyder and GT4 at ORPCA events and the 350R at Bridge City Autosports events. Two of my sons will be campaigning my Miata and Mazdaspeed 6 or co-driving in the 350R.
Awesome- there is usually a race conflict with the ORPCA AX that keep me away, but I will try to do a couple again this year. If you see the PTS Orange GT3 again stop by and say hi!!

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I've been fighting the urge to sale two of my cars and jump into a GT3 for quite some time now. This thread is not helping lol.

Nice write up, you don't often get a real world comparison of these two cars. Congrats on the nice stable !

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Awesome- there is usually a race conflict with the ORPCA AX that keep me away, but I will try to do a couple again this year. If you see the PTS Orange GT3 again stop by and say hi!!
I should be at all the ORPCA events this year. I'll be sure to look for you.

OP
OP
Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
All,

Another week of driving and more observations to note. Took another trip through some mountain twisties today and had a great time, but differences between the two cars became more apparent. From back to back drives, the things that stand out are tramlining and body control.

To address tramlining I had the alignment checked (all good) and the front and rear 'toed in' as far as allowable within the specs. It made a difference, but didn't resolve the issue, so I added the Steeda Two Point G Trac brace. That also helped, but the car still follows ruts and grooves, sometimes with surprising speed and strength. The Shelby can be a 'two firm hands on the wheel' machine at times; lots of side to side motion when attempting to go straight on an imperfect road, but little to no problem on an interstate or other smooth surface. That said, when thrown into a curve, the side to side motion goes away, even on a rutted road, and the car holds a very steady line. The Steeda brace and alignment seem to have helped, but I'm ready to look at other options, like different tires, to tame the straight line behavior. Cup 2's are fantastic, but aggressive and have short lives (ask me how I know...). I've seen other threads out there discussing tires, so I'll look through them for advice.

As far as body control, there are two aspects: Ride Height and Damping. With the Comfort Seats, butt height is noticeably higher in the GT350 than the GT3 (even with the Porsche 18 Way Seats). I wonder if there is just some simple geometry at work , since my head is farther above the center of balance. (I'm an engineer, but not the automotive kind, so this is guesswork.) I'd like to ride in a GT350 with the Recaro seats sometime to see if they allow a lower seating position. (Also, did they change the seats between 2016 and today? I'm 6'3", but I don't remember my head being so close to the roof in my 2016 car. Or maybe my memory is just bad.)

The damping is more complex. In the Porsche, bumps are absorbed and dispatched with one stroke of the dampers. There is little overshoot or 'bounce'. That's not the case in the GT350, or at least it wasn't today on a wavy, undulating backroad. When the pavement isn't smooth, the car seems to take an extra damper stroke before it settles. That 'unsettled' me occasionally, and surprised me, especially from a car with magnetic dampers. The Sport setting is better than Normal, which shouldn't be a surprise, but I would take even more rebound damping if I could dial it in. I tried Track mode briefly, but it was too firm for the road surface. The car bucked and struggled to stay connected to the pavement. Any experience with the DSC Sport controller in the group? I installed one in the GT3 and the difference was immediately noticeable, especially when the pavement got wavy. I've not found any recent reviews for the DSC controller in a GT350. If the 'magic box' enhances the compression / rebound performance of the car, it might be worth the dollars.

Again, I'll take feedback from the group. I plan to be back in the mountains tomorrow before the game starts.

Thanks.

Two red cars.jpg

[/QUOTE]

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
From back to back drives, the things that stand out are tramlining and body control.
I changed Cup2's to PSS and tramlining gone completely. You may try newer version of PSS, PS4S.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ Cup2s are great for lap times on a smooth track but typical road surfaces...I preferred the PS4S on my 16R...and I'll likely do it again on my 20R. The 20R has much reduced tramlining already from 16...but I'm also after reduced road noise and a little added road-tripability... I know, why an R then...but why not?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that the Porsche is good. No Doubt.

I'll say both are good and for different reasons.
2cars.jpg

I like them both for different reasons:
  1. The Porsche is better as a daily driver
  2. The GT350 is faster and less expensive but not really a daily driver.

OP
OP
Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
I changed Cup2's to PSS and tramlining gone completely. You may try newer version of PSS, PS4S.
Michelin doesn't list a PS4S in the stock rear size, yet. A 325/30/19 is available, but I don't know if it will fit without rubbing.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Great. I'm Porscheless for the first time in 12 years and you all have me watching TheSmokingTire One Take Porsche videos again.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Michelin doesn't list a PS4S in the stock rear size, yet. A 325/30/19 is available, but I don't know if it will fit without rubbing.
Ran the 325 30 - didn't rub.
Sponsored