Sponsored

2019 vs 2020 GT350R - Worth the differences?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It seems like 2019 GT350R is going around MSRP with low miles whereas 2020 is asking for a lot more over MSRP. I believe the only difference between two cars is the front knuckle where 2020 uses GT500's.

Does anyone know if this makes a noticeable impact on driving and if this impact is worth the price difference?

Thanks
Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
It seems like 2019 GT350R is going around MSRP with low miles whereas 2020 is asking for a lot more over MSRP. I believe the only difference between two cars is the front knuckle where 2020 uses GT500's.

Does anyone know if this makes a noticeable impact on driving and if this impact is worth the price difference?

Thanks
Inheriting the GT500 steering geometry is supposed to reduce tramlining. Would I pay extra for it, no ā€” all GT350Rā€™s are exceptional and tramlining will always be a factor with front engined vehicles that are running 305 front tires. In my ā€˜18 R, Iā€™ve learned to deal with it.

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My 19 has next to no tramlining, very much about the tires. I run Pilot Sport AS/3+.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
My 19 has next to no tramlining, very much about the tires. I run Pilot Sport AS/3+.
You donā€™t have 305 fronts on your GT350 base. You run 295 front and 305 rears.

GT350R have 305 fronts and 315 rears. So tramlining is more of an issue on the R spec cars.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
You know itā€™s like anything else, once you use it for a while, you get used to it.
My GT350 non R tram lines as well. Used to be pretty unnerving but not anymore.

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
You donā€™t have 305 fronts on your GT350 base. You run 295 front and 305 rears.

GT350R have 305 fronts and 315 rears. So tramlining is more of an issue on the R spec cars.
More than that, A/S 3+ max width is 285 - I'm running these on my stock wheels as "winter" tires. He's correct, no tramlining. Narrower and less sticky compound.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
There are a couple owners here who have had both a pre-20R and 20R. Some have said they can feel a difference and others not really. Hopefully they can chime in. With that said, I wouldnā€™t pay thousands extra for concerns over tramlining.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There are a couple owners here who have had both a pre-20R and 20R. Some have said they can feel a difference and others not really. Hopefully they can chime in. With that said, I wouldnā€™t pay thousands extra for concerns over tramlining.
I have been very fortunate to have owned numerous R models with my 2016, 2017 and 2018 all being Base R models and recently sold my 2020 HEP R due to relocating back to another country sometime next month.

There is no question that tramlining is an issue when it comes to an R model and the Cup 2 tires and in fact I just put a brand new set of Cup 2 tires on my 2015 GT350 last November and of course have tramlining issues with that car as well but very controllable just like the R's .

With respect to the 2020 HEP R that I drove for ~700 miles I can honestly say that the redesigned high-trail steering knuckle that was borrowed from the 2020 GT500 definitely helped with tramlining compared to my other 3 R models and that the new steering rack and recalibrated electric power steering control made it the best driving R that I have owned.

Having said that and if I was in the market for a used R model and taking into consideration the significant price increase for the 2020 GT350R (~$5000 if I recall correctly?) I personally don't feel that the significant price increase for the 2020 R is justified and would recommend an earlier model unless purchase price is not an issue.

Then again after owning and driving R models from 4 different model years there is no question in my mind that the 2020 R model was the very best GT350 that was ever produced by Ford and the FRAP.

:clap: :like:

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
No material difference in the 2 model years - for all practical purposes, the same car - drivetrain, setup, options, etc. Exceptional supercar. On the tramlining topic - it is real, but once you sense it and drive it a bit - it is a non-issue. You adapt. The first couple times I took my eyes off the road, the GT350 lets you know it's a different animal and requires more attention. Now I don't even notice it. This car makes you a better driver.

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have been very fortunate to have owned numerous R models with my 2016, 2017 and 2018 all being Base R models and recently sold my 2020 HEP R due to relocating back to another country sometime next month.

There is no question that tramlining is an issue when it comes to an R model and the Cup 2 tires and in fact I just put a brand new set of Cup 2 tires on my 2015 GT350 last November and of course have tramlining issues with that car as well but very controllable just like the R's .

With respect to the 2020 HEP R that I drove for ~700 miles I can honestly say that the redesigned high-trail steering knuckle that was borrowed from the 2020 GT500 definitely helped with tramlining compared to my other 3 R models and that the new steering rack and recalibrated electric power steering control made it the best driving R that I have owned.

Having said that and if I was in the market for a used R model and taking into consideration the significant price increase for the 2020 GT350R (~$5000 if I recall correctly?) I personally don't feel that the significant price increase for the 2020 R is justified and would recommend an earlier model unless purchase price is not an issue.

Then again after owning and driving R models from 4 different model years there is no question in my mind that the 2020 R model was the very best GT350 that was ever produced by Ford and the FRAP.

:clap: :like:
Thank you for detailed response. I have a follow up question thats very specific:

- Tramlining aside (which I dont care for as both of my other cars C7 ZR1 and 991.2 RS have much more of it than GT350 - my GT350 runs R spec wheels and tires so tramlining for me is probably on par with how GT350R is), is there any difference whatsoever in things like sharpness of turn-in, deadspots, sensitivity, or any other material steering difference that you feel during spirited driving?

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Thank you for detailed response. I have a follow up question thats very specific:

- Tramlining aside (which I dont care for as both of my other cars C7 ZR1 and 991.2 RS have much more of it than GT350 - my GT350 runs R spec wheels and tires so tramlining for me is probably on par with how GT350R is), is there any difference whatsoever in things like sharpness of turn-in, deadspots, sensitivity, or any other material steering difference that you feel during spirited driving?
On top of this I am curious to see if anyone compared a 2019 or earlier vs 2020 where you install a camber/caster plate on the earlier car (Vorshlag gets you 1 more degree of caster to make it about the same as the 2020). In the end the more caster can help with tramlining as well as camber gain while turning on a McPherson. On the other hand the high trailing knuckle combined with the recalibrated rack (which I suspect will get you a bit more assist vs earlier ones) could lead to deterioration of the steering feel at limit. I would definitely be very interested to drive similarly aligned Rs to asses the difference :) Anybody with a track aligned stock 2020 R in the Atlanta area? I have a 2019 to compare with :)

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE

My non R 350 tramlined so much worse than my ZLE its crazy. This is a 305 front/325 rear. I know itā€™s a different car, but i am not as quick to lay blame straight to the width now. But can i explain further? Lol nope

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Back in October, 2015 I was very fortunate to get invited to test drive numerous 2016 GT350 Track Pack and GT350R models at Sebring with the difference between the two cars being significant.

When driving these cars back to back the most notable difference was of course the larger and stickier tires on the R and of course the reduced rotating mass of the lightweight CF wheels was also noticeable.

Additionally shorter and stiffer springs and more aggressive anti-sway bars helped contribute to the overall much improved driving experience.

It is really difficult to compare the two models with so many different aspects for each model including the resonator delete factor on the R model which many of you have experienced at 8,250 RPM.

Overall the steering, braking and handling experience was significantly different between the two cars and distinctly remember coming into one corner at ~140 MPH at redline in 4th gear in the R model (I was in the jump seat with a pro at the wheel) when in fact that Track Pack car was at least ~10 MPH slower heading into that same corner.

Keep in mind that these were early MP and PP 2016 cars and as we all know the 2019 and especially the 2020 R models are better handling, braking and steering cars than the early R models.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Back in October, 2015 I was very fortunate to get invited to test drive numerous 2016 GT350 Track Pack and GT350R models at Sebring with the difference between the two cars being significant.

When driving these cars back to back the most notable difference was of course the larger and stickier tires on the R and of course the reduced rotating mass of the lightweight CF wheels was also noticeable.

Additionally shorter and stiffer springs and more aggressive anti-sway bars helped contribute to the overall much improved driving experience.

It is really difficult to compare the two models with so many different aspects for each model including the resonator delete factor on the R model which many of you have experienced at 8,250 RPM.

Overall the steering, braking and handling experience was significantly different between the two cars and distinctly remember coming into one corner at ~140 MPH at redline in 4th gear in the R model (I was in the jump seat with a pro at the wheel) when in fact that Track Pack car was at least ~10 MPH slower heading into that same corner.

Keep in mind that these were early MP and PP 2016 cars and as we all know the 2019 and especially the 2020 R models are better handling, braking and steering cars than the early R models.
Why are the latest R models better braking/handling/steering than earlier ones?
Sponsored