2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
My greatest interests are transmission and how much it will weigh. MP4S's will be a good all around tire for the street, thats a nice choice. HP will be plenty. Laying it down should be the goal.
The nannies have come a long way since the last GT500... So it should be good there.
I still think there will be an R package of some kind, more aero, lighter and R comp tires. 2 more months to reveal!
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Designing, iterating and validating a supercharged V8 vehicle that will run reliably, meet performance targets, meet emissions and can be assembled consistently with quality does take >>2 years.

Everyone thinks about how easy it is to put a blower on a car and not about everything else that must be done for a production vehicle.

Indeed, take the Shelby 1000 launched yesterday. If this information is correct (and the person that posted it on FB is usually a very reliable source) then it underlines BmacIL's point.

"Here's the specs on the car. Only 50 units slated for production, can't meet emissions, so they can't be registered or driven on the roads legally.

2015-2018 Shelby 1000 Tech Sheet:
Powertrain:
5.2L Alluminator engine,
4.5L Shelby by Whipple supercharger
Upgraded new, manual transmission
Shelby exhaust including long tube headers
New radiator, heat exchanger, aluminum cooling tank, oil cooling, transmission cooling parts
Short throw shifter
9” third member
One-piece drive shaft
1500 HP rated axlesTriple disk clutch
Shelby fuel pickup system
Oil recovery system
ATI vibration dampener
High capacity oil pan

Chassis & Suspension:
Front spindle and control arms
Rear lower control arms
Shelby by Penske adjustable shocks and springs
Caster camber plates and adjustable sway bar link
Ford Performance sway bars
Ford Performance half shafts
Shelby by Brembo brake system
Frame strengthening

Exterior:
Wide Body fenders and quarter panels
Front fascia assembly (upper grille, brake and hub cooling ducts, radiator cooling, splitter)
Deep draw hoodSide rocker assemblyRear tail panel and diffuser
Shelby 1000 badges and door graphic

Interior:
Shelby lit Door Sill Plates
Shelby by Katzkin leather interior
Rear seat delete
4-point roll bar and harnesses (harnesses installed by customer)
Gauge cluster with Shelby by Autometer gauges
CSM badging on the engine and dash
Engine cap set
Floor mats

Wheels and Tires:
11” x 20” front and 12.5” x 20” rear forged Aluminum wheels,
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (345/30zr20 in rear, 305/30zr20 in front)
Hardened wheel studs"

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
No offense, but you’re simply mistaken here.

Look at the top speed of the ZL1 vs the 1LE...
Look at the top speed of the Viper ACR vs the Viper GTS...
Look at the top speed of the ZR1 vs the top speed of the ZR1 Z07 with full aero.

Tires help corners, but little on straights... aero affects both drastically.
We can agree to disagree. The biggest difference is the corners. That’s where lap times are won and the amount of grip you have available is directly related. I’ve driven my Z06 stage one on track and tested a Z07 that amount of grip available through corners was all tire difference of MPSS vs MPSC2. Aero has its highest affect at high speeds and most road courses/tracks simply aren’t that fast.
Drum, maybe I’m totally wrong and my track experience and time with instructors is way off. It sure would be awesome if MT with pobst could run a 1LE then an A10 ZL1 with 1LE tires at Laguna to see the results.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
We can agree to disagree. The biggest difference is the corners. That’s where lap times are won and the amount of grip you have available is directly related. I’ve driven my Z06 stage one on track and tested a Z07 that amount of grip available through corners was all tire difference of MPSS vs MPSC2. Aero has its highest affect at high speeds and most road courses/tracks simply aren’t that fast.
Drum, maybe I’m totally wrong and my track experience and time with instructors is way off. It sure would be awesome if MT with pobst could run a 1LE then an A10 ZL1 with 1LE tires at Laguna to see the results.
Then why is the R faster than the regular 350 in lap times but slower on top end?

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Eagle F1 Supercar 3R - 100TW tire, slick with grooves, competes closest with Trofeo R

Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 180TW tire, competes closest with P Zero Corsa

SS 1LE gets the non-R Supercar 3, which is grippier than a PS4S, nearly to PSC2. Does well against RE71R even.
Treadwear is an arbitrary number that does not mean anything in general, let alone comparing different brands. It's all marketing BS.

You might want to give this a read to understand exactly what it is and why the number does not mean anything:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Because of just the tires. The R's fake wing and splitter doesn't do anything below 150mph :headbonk:
The R's fake wing and splitter? You likely don't understand how aerodynamics works. The wing on the R is massive, and has a surface area larger than the wing on the ZL1 1LE. Mind you, the 1LE's wing produces 300 pounds of down-force at 180MPH. The R's wing probably produces high down-force numbers due to its relative larger size. If the rear wing makes that much downforce, best believe the front splitter is also generating high downforce numbers for high speed stability.

Anything that produces downforce also induces drag, and drag affects top speed. This contributes to the R's lower top speed.
Downforce-R.jpg

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Whatever that means, I hope to see ole Carroll's name gone from Mustangs.

{{{{{{{COBRA}}}}}}}}

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Then why is the R faster than the regular 350 in lap times but slower on top end?
That is what I would expect. Any non moving aero that improves corner speed will reduce straight-line speed. Increased down-force = increased drag.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The R's fake wing and splitter? You likely don't understand how aerodynamics works. The wing on the R is massive, and has a surface area larger than the wing on the ZL1 1LE. Mind you, the 1LE's wing produces 300 pounds of down-force at 180MPH. The R's wing probably produces high down-force numbers due to its relative larger size. If the rear wing makes that much downforce, best believe the front splitter is also generating high downforce numbers for high speed stability.

Anything that produces downforce also induces drag, and drag affects top speed. This contributes to the R's lower top speed.
(please note the sarcasm aimed at ttime500).

Where did you hear the R has a bigger wing than the 1LE? I've seen both in person and the 1LE is much wider and does not curve down like a GTR, losing a lot of it's effective span.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
(please note the sarcasm aimed at ttime500).

Where did you hear the R has a bigger wing than the 1LE? I've seen both in person and the 1LE is much wider and does not curve down like a GTR, losing a lot of it's effective span.
GT-R???? :shrug: :shrug:
You mean the GT350R??

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GT-R???? :shrug: :shrug:
You mean the GT350R??
Both the GT350R's wing and a Nissan GTR have stylized wings that lose their effective span vs the 1LE and ACR that have proper full width wings. I still don't see how Spirit Of Fire came up with the 350R having a bigger wing than the 1LE. :shrug:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Both the GT350R's wing and a Nissan GTR have stylized wings that lose their effective span vs the 1LE and ACR that have proper full width wings. I still don't see how Spirit Of Fire came up with the 350R having a bigger wing than the 1LE. :shrug:
Did you mean the ZL1-1LE, and not the 1LE?
The 1LE wing isn't bigger than the GT350R wing is it?

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
The GTR’s wing is closer to the new 2018 wing than it is to the 350R’s wing. And the ZL1 1LE is nothing compared to the Viper’s wing. The 350R’s wing is a bit wider and has more effective surface area than the ILE’s wing, and their Angle of Attack is about the same. I have access to the CAD data for both wings.

Top is 350R's wing and button is ZL1 1LE's wing. The 1LE's wing is longer because the Camaro is a wider car than the Mustang.
R-wing.jpg
ile-wing.jpg

Last edited:

Spirit Of Fire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Faster Horse
Here is a 2018 Mustang's Performance wing compared to both, the the 18 GT's wing was designed to be aero neutral. It has relatively no angle of attack.
19PP.PNG
Sponsored