Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
On the issue of the CF wheels. The GT350r and the Ford GT both have them. Common sense tells me they will be a least an option on "the baddest Mustang" yet! I will be shocked if they aren't. A decrease in un sprung weight is one of the keys to good handling so they will be in the mix! And it will be glorious!
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Well I'm not the one that said carbon fiber doesn't handle heat. But carbon fiber and carbon ceramic are two totally different things.

My point about the CF wheels, we're not building a purpose built race car, building a production car. How many guys are actually tracking these cars, maybe 15-20% and of that how many are actually using the carbon fiber wheels for their intended purpose? I know 2 guys with them, both only put the CF wheels on for car shows. I think it's a perfect stand alone option at a reduced price if ordered with the car for the guys that want/use them. But otherwise I think that cost being built into the car would be more useful in other areas, like overall weight loss.
Unsprung weight improves handling and ride quality, so by just driving you will benefit from the lighter CF wheels. Throw some cheap 35lb wheels on and get back to me how unsprung weight has little to no effect on ride quality, handling (even on the street), steering feel, etc..

2011gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt350
What book did the dealer give you? Is this a brochure??

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
What book did the dealer give you? Is this a brochure??
Its a book..and a mug. They mailed it to me. They had 2 books and 4 mugs.

So everyone is saying 5.2 with a 2.65 L SC. Some are saying FPC and some CPC.
Anyone shed any light as to what it REALLY is?
Im hoping that ford doesnt have to hold back because of emissions...this think can probably crack off 800 no problem.
20170703_163842.jpg

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo

Im hoping that ford doesnt have to hold back because of emissions...this think can probably crack off 800 no problem.
Hope you are right! I have very high expectations!

Sponsored

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium

Sweet mug!

Personally, I have huge doubts on FPC for this edition. Two reasons:
1. The inherent lower torque of the FPC engine. I would call it a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but you know how numbers people are. Turbos with the correct tuning would easily fix this, although almost definitely at a cost to the sky-high horsepower peak of the 5.2. Even the Ferrari 488 lost 1000 rpm off of its redline compared to the 458, and they have been doing FPC V8s for a lot longer than Ford has. Cutting that much off of redline in Ford's FPC would put its peak right at current 5.0 levels, and below what the 2018 port/direct injection 5.0 is supposed to be at, which would kill the FPC hype.
2. Longevity issues. Anyone who has been near a GT350 while its running knows these engines aren't exactly the smoothest ones around. While I love these V8s, I feel like they're comparatively low on the current Ford V8 lineup, as far as reliability goes. I know a local guy that had to have his Voodoo replaced after 5,000 miles, though this could just be attributed to how he treated the engine during its break in period..
On top of that, the Voodoo crankshaft is drilled full of holes to further reduce mass. While I'm not personally doubting its strength since its high quality forged steel, I'm not sure Ford would be so willing to throw boost to it, elevate its power output by around 50%, and then wrap it all up in a nice factory warranty.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If your for straight line speed, there is no doubt it will be in the mid 10s im thinking minimum, thats with 755hp and the DCT. If its 800+ could get to 9s as long as its 3900 area. knowing ford, they are going after thr zl1 and its more of s track car, im hoping thry make a drag pack option. Add 50HP 30 torque plus drag radials, drag suspension set up. Wouldnt be a tremendous amount to change for maybe a 10k base option mark up.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Sweet mug!

1. The inherent lower torque of the FPC engine. I would call it a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but you know how numbers people are. Turbos with the correct tuning would easily fix this, although almost definitely at a cost to the sky-high horsepower peak of the 5.2. Even the Ferrari 488 lost 1000 rpm off of its redline compared to the 458, and they have been doing FPC V8s for a lot longer than Ford has. Cutting that much off of redline in Ford's FPC would put its peak right at current 5.0 levels, and below what the 2018 port/direct injection 5.0 is supposed to be at, which would kill the FPC hype.
2. Longevity issues. Anyone who has been near a GT350 while its running knows these engines aren't exactly the smoothest ones around. While I love these V8s, I feel like they're comparatively low on the current Ford V8 lineup, as far as reliability goes. I know a local guy that had to have his Voodoo replaced after 5,000 miles, though this could just be attributed to how he treated the engine during its break in period..
On top of that, the Voodoo crankshaft is drilled full of holes to further reduce mass. While I'm not personally doubting its strength since its high quality forged steel, I'm not sure Ford would be so willing to throw boost to it, elevate its power output by around 50%, and then wrap it all up in a nice factory warranty.
A GT350 makes more torque than a 5.0L coyote from 3,500rpm-redline...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Sweet mug!

I love my 350 but dont really want another FPC car...so ill be passing if it is.

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
A GT350 makes more torque than a 5.0L coyote from 3,500rpm-redline...
Yes, but only 29lb-ft more, in comparison to having 91 more hp. I meant low as compared to its peak horsepower number. All FPC v8s are like this. But again, I honestly see it as a minor issue. My main point to my post is that I don't think the FPC was ever truly intended to be boosted by Ford themselves. Its a 100 hp/liter, high-revving, NA, track-focused engine.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Yes, but only 29lb-ft more, in comparison to having 91 more hp. I meant low as compared to its peak horsepower number. All FPC v8s are like this. But again, I honestly see it as a minor issue. My main point to my post is that I don't think the FPC was ever truly intended to be boosted by Ford themselves. Its a 100 hp/liter, high-revving, NA, track-focused engine.
:doh: HP is a function of torque and rpm. 350's routinely put down a peak of 395w-tq and 475whp, while coyotes put down 355w-tq & 385whp.

At a coyote's redline, the GT350 is making 65ft-lb more torque (357) and 85 more hp (461whp). The Voodoo is a high revving athlete and not a low-rpm stump puller like a GT500. Heck the old 07-09 GT500 makes similar power to the GT350, but with it's low rev limit, it needs a ton of torque to make power at a lower rpm (since HP is a function of torque and rpm).

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
:doh: HP is a function of torque and rpm. 350's routinely put down a peak of 395w-tq and 475whp, while coyotes put down 355w-tq & 385whp.

At a coyote's redline, the GT350 is making 65ft-lb more torque (357) and 85 more hp (461whp). The Voodoo is a high revving athlete and not a low-rpm stump puller like a GT500. Heck the old 07-09 GT500 makes similar power to the GT350, but with it's low rev limit, it needs a ton of torque to make power at a lower rpm (since HP is a function of torque and rpm).
:lol:know what makes tq at low rpm? tvs/roots superchargers........

since hp is a function of tq.......

people are crazy if they think ford will use a fpc and a supercharger on the gt500.

the 5.2xs aluminator makes 580hp NA with 5.2 block, CPC crank, gt350 heads and CJ intake. that's more than the GT350 voodoo engine with the FPC.

The CPC cranks make TQ sooner because they are pretty much ALL heavier but don't rev as fast.

GT500 should make 750hp plus pretty easy and more importantly RELIABLY with the 5.2 block, gt350 heads CPC crank and my money is on the 2650 TVS.

Blowers on the FPC don't tend to work very well with that strain on the crank pulley.

Now if you really think ford will use a FPC and twin turbos well then that's the route Id LOVE to see ford go but highly doubt itll happen.

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium

True. Schooled me. This is what I get for not paying attention in mechanisms class.:eek:
But, my main point remains. The Voodoo wasn't intended to be a boosted engine, and neither, as you said, a stump puller. I feel like Ford is going to go for something more in this category for the new GT500/Cobra engine.

And lets also not forget that higher-torque engines have that feel to them. You know, that heart-against-your-spine feeling when you punch it. I think this will also come into play as people want that feeling when they step on it in their new $80k Mustang, and Ford knows that. Thats the one thing missing from a GT350. The power delivery is very smooth and linear past 3500 RPM, so it just doesn't have that feel to it.
That's why all the uhm.. good ol' boys, to be nice, like their yee-yee diesel pickups. They feel like they're gonna throw you in the back seat. Even though in reality, as us car guys know, the shits are slow.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
True. Schooled me. This is what I get for not paying attention in mechanisms class.:eek:
But, my main point remains. The Voodoo wasn't intended to be a boosted engine, and neither, as you said, a stump puller. I feel like Ford is going to go for something more in this category for the new GT500/Cobra engine.

And lets also not forget that higher-torque engines have that feel to them. You know, that heart-against-your-spine feeling when you punch it. I think this will also come into play as people want that feeling when they step on it in their new $80k Mustang, and Ford knows that. Thats the one thing missing from a GT350. The power delivery is very smooth and linear past 3500 RPM, so it just doesn't have that feel to it.
That's why all the uhm.. good ol' boys, to be nice, like their yee-yee diesel pickups. They feel like they're gonna throw you in the back seat. Even though in reality, as us car guys know, the shits are slow.
I know the 350R isnt a brute but make no mistake, at 3600 lbs and my 155 lb ass in the seat. It will give the seat of the pants tickle at 6,000 in 3rd and 4th
Its a great car, it corners like crazy too. The heart in the spine is slightly there...it needs another 150 torque tho, for brute force.

The crate 5.2 aluminator revs to 8000 doesnt it? Im sure it will retain at least 7500 in this new GT500 CPC. Im hoping ford will somehow transfer the added weight to the rear. The 350 gets a little squirrelly in 1st, the huge torque will prpbably be an issue. I bet that DCT in drag mode will start in 2nd gear. Im truly looking forward to how quick this DCT turns out to run the car. # excited ;) the 0-60 and quarter times will average much more close.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
[MENTION=22202]machsmith[/MENTION] kudos on 155 lbs, I tip the scales at a slim 195 lbs. Weight reduction starts with the driver at least that's what Bill Glidden said once. Anybody know how much torque the Aluminator makes?
Sponsored