2019 GT Rattle

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah I've had my wife drive while I sat in the passenger seat with the a pillar off. Nothing in the a pillar section seems to rattle. It's coming from right near the a pillar at the top of the window.

Also, the sun visor is not rattling. I've disassembled it and taken it down. Rattle still persists. (Sun visor is back up). I feel like at this point I've tried almost everything.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Watch these videos:

Read the 4th comment on the battery tray.

Other things to check: The windshield washer hose inside the fender.

Plastic side skirt rattle can sound like it comes from the roof area. Sound waves bounce, so where you hear the sound might not be the source of the rattle.
Check the push pins:

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Watch these videos:

Read the 4th comment on the battery tray.

Other things to check: The windshield washer hose inside the fender.

Plastic side skirt rattle can sound like it comes from the roof area. Sound waves bounce, so where you hear the sound might not be the source of the rattle.
Check the push pins:
Hey man, the push pins in the side skirts was one of the first things I checked. They are all nice and tight.

For the windshield washer fluid hose, what would you recommend doing to fix that if it was indeed causing the rattle?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thankfully I haven't had to do any of this on my car. I think some foam weatherstripping wrapped around would work. Or put some foam tubing over it.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Thanks. I'll look into that and give that a try over the weekend. I'm also going to look into the battery cover. Nearly 3 months of searching for this rattle!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well I insulated the windshield washer fluid hose with felt and tape but that yielded no relief from the rattle.

So far ive taken the A pillar off, the headliner off, and insulated both areas heavily with padded insulation as well as the windshield washer fluid hose but the rattle still persists. I've also checked the rocker panel screws and they are tight.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Have you driven around with the headliner and A-pillar plastic removed to see if you can isolate the sound better?

2 more areas to check:

1) Have you tried to check to see if it’s the black plastic cowling on the exterior at the base of the windshield? That piece will rattle and if any road debris or debris from trees fell onto it and got stuck around the wipers or somewhere at the base of the windshield that noise will travel as you’re driving.

2) Try to flush out the shallow trench around the entire windshield using high pressure air or water to make sure there’s no debris, small stones etc trapped between the glass and metal of the body. Again if there’s debris there, it will rattle as wind is passing over and around the windshield.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yeah, driving with the headliner and a-pillar off were the first things we did. My wife and I determined it's coming from the upper passenger area by the a-pillar.

Next I was going to fool with the battery cover and see what that does.

I have plastic trim around the side view mirrors that makes a little bit of noise, but not sure if that's the cause or not.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Checked the windshield - nothing.

Does the battery need that cover? I'm thinking of seeing if that is the source of the rattle?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The battery doesn’t necessarily need any cover - older cars never had any battery covers. It’s just cosmetic and to keep debris/dust/dirt from accumulating on it.

Have you also checked under the dash on driver side for anything loose?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
A little, but not in detail because the sound just sounds so pinpoint around that area by the passenger window/a-pillar.

What about rain water getting on/in the battery area?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rain water won’t hurt battery at all. Just remove it and drive around for a bit and see if it makes any difference.

With A-pillar removed - have you tapped on the airbag cylinder or any of the other parts under the A-pillar plastic to see if you could replicate the sound?

I know some members on here have a hell of a rattle or noise from the passenger side rear C-pillar area. Those folks have found that the noise has been linked to the plastic airbag tether strap rattling between the airbag cylinder and the C-pillar plastic.

In many instances they have found that the air bag cylinder is actually vibrating or rattling up against the C-pilllar metal panel. The solution was to place felt or felt pads between the air bag cylinder and the metal as well as between cylinder and plastic to isolate the vacant spaces where the cylinder could rattle.

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I can look into the c-pillar this weekend. It's worth a shot. You think the rattle might be resonating up towards the front of the car?

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Rattle still going strong. Anyone have any other ideas?

OP
OP

Ryan412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I tried taking the battery cover off - rattle still there on my morning drive.
Sponsored