2019 Camaro vs 2019 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
Correct me if I'm wrong but to get those 12-second times you need Magna ride the performance pack and the drag mode?

That's one expensive car if you do.

Yes, as I stated above that is correct.

Non premium GT w/ PP + MR +10a seems to be able to hit SUB 12 seconds on a track. That's about a $35k base + $4k + $1.7k + $1.5k Yup, not cheap at all.

But I believe my earlier statement still stands. Based on early reports from loaded GT's at the track, and base model C7s at the track- it SEEMS, SO FAR, that in a straight line they're in the same ball park. What we've seen so far is a range from 11.8- 12.2 or so. Above we have a C7 at 11.7.

At least I've seen no evidence to the contrary. If there is some, feel free to share. I'm not going to be butt hurt at all that a $55k vette is faster than a $45k Mustang.
Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
How can you say it's a hero run when he drove from the dealership to the drag strip and did it 3 times in a row?

Of course it's not doable on the streets. Who said it is? Is the 11.7 with the Vette doable on the streets?
It was a hero run due to the fact it was done in very favorable conditions on a well prepped track. He sure as hell ain't taking that car on the streets in the summer and running at 11.8.

And no the 11.7 by the Corvette is probably not reputable either on the streets.

The average Joe on the street with a 2018 Mustang A10 is probably going to run around 12.4ish. A C7 on the streets can repeatedly do about a 12 flat.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
I'm sure at some point in the next few months we will see a A10 2018 Mustang versus a C7 on the street somewhere.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a hero run due to the fact it was done in very favorable conditions on a well prepped track. He sure as hell ain't taking that car on the streets in the summer and running at 11.8.

And no the 11.7 by the Corvette is probably not reputable either on the streets.

The average Joe on the street with a 2018 Mustang A10 is probably going to run around 12.4ish. A C7 on the streets can repeatedly do about a 12 flat.
I genuinely don't understand the idea that if it's under favorable conditions it doesn't count or is a "hero run".
Should runs only count if done under unfavorable conditions? Seems ridiculous.

Also can you explain why a C7 adds .3 from favorable to unfavorable but the Mustang adds .6?
Apples to apples would put the C7 at 12 and the Mustang at 12.1, as long as we're throwing out wild conjecture and not actual performance...

Bottom line: we simply don't know yet.
What we DO know is the under favorable conditions a loaded GT is running repeatable sub 12 second 1/4s. This is a fact.
Those runs still absolutely count, even though it was favorable conditions.

Unless you think we should deliberately seek out shitty conditions so we can have shitty runs.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure at some point in the next few months we will see a A10 2018 Mustang versus a C7 on the street somewhere.
Head to head at a track under the exact same conditions would be a much better indicator of the car's actual performance.

Sponsored

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
I genuinely don't understand the idea that if it's under favorable conditions it doesn't count or is a "hero run".
Should runs only count if done under unfavorable conditions? Seems ridiculous.

Also can you explain why a C7 adds .3 from favorable to unfavorable but the Mustang adds .6?
Apples to apples would put the C7 at 12 and the Mustang at 12.1, as long as we're throwing out wild conjecture and not actual performance...

Bottom line: we simply don't know yet.
What we DO know is the under favorable conditions a loaded GT is running repeatable sub 12 second 1/4s. This is a fact.
Those runs still absolutely count, even though it was favorable conditions.

Unless you think we should deliberately seek out shitty conditions so we can have shitty runs.
My main points being.. A Vast majority of people will not have these conditions to work with. Only a very small amount of people will be able to run a 18 GT in the 11.8 range. Hence the hero runs.

For a person who goes to buy a A10 18 GT with all the bells and whistles for 45K+ and go the the strip and think hes gonna run a 11.8 is going to be very disappointed. He will be just as disappointed if he goes up again any A8 C7 Corvette.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Head to head at a track under the exact same conditions would be a much better indicator of the car's actual performance.
Yep and we have yet to see it. Hope we will soon thou.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My main points being.. A Vast majority of people will not have these conditions to work with. Only a very small amount of people will be able to run a 18 GT in the 11.8 range. Hence the hero runs.

For a person who goes to buy a A10 18 GT with all the bells and whistles for 45K+ and go the the strip and think hes gonna run a 11.8 is going to be very disappointed. He will be just as disappointed if he goes up again any A8 C7 Corvette.
Ok...I just don't see why the conditions matter really. If I'm going to run a mile and see how fast I can do it, I'm not going to go do it in the blistering heat with flip flops on. I'm going to wait for favorable conditions. Anyone can have access to favorable conditions if they go to the drag strip.

We saw 3 consecutive sub 12 runs under favorable conditions. It seems with a little practice that a lot of people would be able to achieve this- at the track.

As far as the Vette, while in the same ball park I still wouldn't put money on the Mustang. It'll be close it seems, but unlikely to end up in the Mustang's favor.
I just find it funny that the vette guys have to downplay the sub 12 runs due to favorable conditions... it's silly. Apples to apples the C7 is still likely to win...so why is it a big deal that the Mustang is still pretty impressive?

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Ok...I just don't see why the conditions matter really. If I'm going to run a mile and see how fast I can do it, I'm not going to go do it in the blistering heat with flip flops on. I'm going to wait for favorable conditions. Anyone can have access to favorable conditions if they go to the drag strip.

We saw 3 consecutive sub 12 runs under favorable conditions. It seems with a little practice that a lot of people would be able to achieve this- at the track.

As far as the Vette, while in the same ball park I still wouldn't put money on the Mustang. It'll be close it seems, but unlikely to end up in the Mustang's favor.
I just find it funny that the vette guys have to downplay the sub 12 runs due to favorable conditions... it's silly. Apples to apples the C7 is still likely to win...so why is it a big deal that the Mustang is still pretty impressive?
The new 18 GTs are amazing. They sounds great. They look good. They are fast! But... they are expensive cars now to get that great performance.

But people are getting carried away saying they are as fast as C7s. This whole thing started when someone said the 18 GT was just as fast as a C7. And thats just simply not the case.

Sponsored

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new 18 GTs are amazing. They sounds great. They look good. They are fast! But... they are expensive cars now to get that great performance.

But people are getting carried away saying they are as fast as C7s. This whole thing started when someone said the 18 GT was just as fast as a C7. And thats just simply not the case.
Yeah, "good" performance for a more reasonable cost. "great" for a lot more. At least we have options, which is cool.

I think the guy above compared the a10 to the 7MT C7. That would be an interesting test (though admittedly not apples to apples). I think the a10 would win that one probably....but again, not really a valid comparison either.

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Yeah, "good" performance for a more reasonable cost. "great" for a lot more. At least we have options, which is cool.

I think the guy above compared the a10 to the 7MT C7. That would be an interesting test (though admittedly not apples to apples). I think the a10 would win that one probably....but again, not really a valid comparison either.
Can't really get into comparing Autos versus manuals nowadays. Autos nowadays are always going to win. Also it won't be long till that A10 transmission is in the Camaros and on the Corvettes.

HeavyMetalMonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't really get into comparing Autos versus manuals nowadays. Autos nowadays are always going to win. Also it won't be long till that A10 transmission is in the Camaros and on the Corvettes.
That's why I said it's not an apples to apples comparison...it's also what the guy was talking about you were arguing against. He just pointed out the a a10 GT will probably beat a MT7 C7.

Status
Not open for further replies.