Sponsored

2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
The 6 speed in the 18 mustang has been improved from what I read. But the experience in the GT for me is that it shifts really easy. At high rpms it shifts easy and no lock out. My 13 boss at high rpms would not let me shift at times. Terrible trans IMO. My best advice is to go drive one and see for yourself. I drove the 10 speed but chose the manual in the GT.
I didn’t buy the car to drag race but instead use it on the street. Driven in a normal mode the 10speed would not always shift the way I wanted it to. The manual puts you in total control of which gear you want and when. It’s just that simple. Now if you want the WOT quickest shifting car then get the 10 speed.
Thanks. Question, how is the clutch in the GT. Heavy, light, tiring to hold, defined engagement, noise? Thanks again.
Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
for me the 10 speed was the only option when i bought a Mustang again. The MT82 is such a horrible transmission that it wasn't even an option. why Ford would use that transmission instead of the Tremec tr6060 is baffling. I like the 10 speed and in S mode it's phenomenal. i'm by no means anti manual transmission, my SS Camaro had a Tremec and when i bought my Scat Pack Challenger i thought long and hard about getting the 6 speed instead of The A8 but the A8 was such a good transmission that i bought one.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
for me the 10 speed was the only option when i bought a Mustang again. The MT82 is such a horrible transmission that it wasn't even an option. why Ford would use that transmission instead of the Tremec tr6060 is baffling. I like the 10 speed and in S mode it's phenomenal. i'm by no means anti manual transmission, my SS Camaro had a Tremec and when i bought my Scat Pack Challenger i thought long and hard about getting the 6 speed instead of The A8 but the A8 was such a good transmission that i bought one.
Lol MT82 is a horrible transmission... seriously? It’s not.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Lol MT82 is a horrible transmission... seriously? It’s not.
I had one so i speak from experience. look at all the problem threads regarding it since it came out. I stand by my statement.. it's an absolute Chinese built piece of KaKa

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I've had a variety of manual transmissions over the decades with both sports cars and V8 Mustangs and even though I'm no expert I considered the MT82 in my 2015 to be "fine" for normal driving on the street and for ASAP 1 - 2 shifts in autox. I've never been a good 2 - 3 shifter in autocross so I cannot comment on 2 - 3 because I avoided it. I also never "power shift" so again no input. I didn't like the fact that the 2015 clutch required much more "care" in order to be smooth off the line in normal driving compared to any previous manual I've owned. I understand that the new GT clutch is supposed have improved that aspect significantly.

The 15 GT's clutch required noticeably less pedal effort than my 01 GT or my 88 or from very distant memory my 69 351 did. The 18's is supposed to be lighter than the 15.

I didn't test drive any 18's before ordering mine and still haven't driven an 18 manual or any other 18.

Sponsored

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Wait for the '19 and get the auto rev-matching.
Would love to have this option. I guess I'll have to keep practicing heal-toe downshifts.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Thanks. Question, how is the clutch in the GT. Heavy, light, tiring to hold, defined engagement, noise? Thanks again.
Clutch is light. I never sit at a light and hold the clutch in. The engagement is smooth as a knife in butter. No noise that I can hear.

djdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoVert
I test drove a 6sp eco boost today....it had been years since I drove a stick. I found it too jerky...I like a smooth automatic.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I test drove a 6sp eco boost today....it had been years since I drove a stick. I found it too jerky...I like a smooth automatic.
With respects, if this is the first time you've driven a stick in years, then the jerkyness wasn't a problem with the car, but the driver. I drove a manual transmission Civic for seven years and put 230k miles on it. I loved that car until some guy ran a red light and totaled it for me. It's been four years since that happened and now I'm driving a 2016 GT w/MT that I picked up last November and I have to admit, it took me a while to get used to a clutch again. Now, after about 5.5 months and 7700 miles, I'm shifting it pretty smoothly. I still get sloppy every once in a while, but I'm much more comfortable with the car. The first month or so, I had moments when I was seriously questioning getting the MT. It just takes time to get fully acclimated to what the car needs.

STex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67,69 ram air and 72 GTO
Clutch is light. I never sit at a light and hold the clutch in. The engagement is smooth as a knife in butter. No noise that I can hear.
thank you. Yes, usually do neutral on a light...

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Definitely engages at different points then my old 2011. It must be the new clutch design. It is smooth, but I needed to get used to it.

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
No offense but it's you. It was 9 years since I last drove stick when I test drove the GT back in February. I was jerky and unsure. My muscle memory was shot from lack of use.

Picked up my car last Thursday and now at near 400 miles I'm quite smooth. Why? The muscle memory is back and I learned how to drive it again. Where in the beginning I was having to think about everything it's now almost back to autopilot.

If you really want the stick give it a shot - you'll remember it in short order.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Every stick is different and takes time to get used to.

I have no desire for it in this car but I'd love to give it a try. I like being able to have the adaptive cruise control run through all the gears.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Want to feel like you've forgotten how to drive a manual transmission? Try a car with skip shift when you don't realize it has that "feature". I took a 2011/12 Mustang GT manual for a test drive in stop/go traffic and simply couldn't get it into 2nd or 3rd gear (one or both) on many shifts. Embarrassed the heck out of me since I've been driving manuals for decades and at the time daily drove a 2001 Mustang GT manual and autocrossed a formula car with a Hewland transmission. The salesman was no help (probably didn't know any better).

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Way quicker? That's interesting since MT had the auto 0-60 in 5.3 and 13.9 in the 1/4 at 97 and C&D had the manual 0-60 in 5.1 and 13.7 in the 1/4 at 102. I know those are two different tests, but doesn't seem way quicker to me. Just curious where you found data on the auto being way quicker.
Took them both out for a flog session back to back triple digits.
I did not rent a drag strip and take two out same day in same conditions,
But Ill bet $20 on the 10R80 having lowest cumulative time over 10 passes ( you know, just to be fair to the manual).
Sponsored