2018 Transmission 6 speed manual vs. 10 speed automatic

gbgreen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Manual V6 Mustang Coupe
Took them both out for a flog session back to back triple digits.
I did not rent a drag strip and take two out same day in same conditions,
But Ill bet $20 on the 10R80 having lowest cumulative time over 10 passes ( you know, just to be fair to the manual).
OK Sig, I'll bite: where did you score two 2018 EBs; one manual and one auto? Do you own one or both? Work at a dealership? Work for Ford (so you can take them out on a random "Quality Test" - to reference another thread)? :)
Sponsored

itguy08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, 2010 Taurus SHO, 2011 F150
Took them both out for a flog session back to back triple digits.
I did not rent a drag strip and take two out same day in same conditions,
But Ill bet $20 on the 10R80 having lowest cumulative time over 10 passes ( you know, just to be fair to the manual).
No doubt the automatic will be faster. Perfect shifts every time and with 10 gears it will always be in the correct power band.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
If you are getting the EB, then get the A10, nuff said.

I would just leave it in "S" and just drive the dickens out of it. And that Ecoboost will have 10 gears to keep it happy...!

I hope there is a third option soon, in a GT500 DCT..?

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
girls like the automatic best, as witnessed by the comments in this thread...

Sponsored

justme97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LB Ecoboost 6mt pony pack vert, 06 EB Explorer
I got the eb stick and I think its a reasonably smooth system and nice clutch action although I havent mastered it yet. Im comming from a stick bmw too so Iā€™m a shifting snob lol.
When I test drive the a10 in sport the shifting felt weird and and confused. Thatā€™s a lot of $$ to spend on a system that doesnā€™t seem very slick, the 6mt is cheap and happy.
Plus the manual shifter looks so much cooler!

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hahaha the a10 in the gt is hands down the best auto I have driven and donā€™t miss my mt 82 that left me stranded on my 17 lol

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ā“‡ā’¾ā’øā“€ā“Ž ā“ˆā“…ā’¶ā“ƒā’¾ā“ˆā’½
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
I had a 15 ecoboost w the stick..worked nice till you really hammered it thru the gears and the thing went flat on the gear changes due to the torque management whatever they called it thing and it drove me nuts! Kept it 3 months. I don't know if its still that way or not. Anyway, I fixed the problem with a GT stick! Now here's where I do have some comparison. Traded my 16 gt stick, which i really enjoyed, for a 18 with the auto. I like it and it works right every time! And its very quick alright! I have no doubt the auto with the 4 banger will work great as it works great in my gt. BUT I miss my stick. If you love your stick,can handle stop and go with it all day, just get one. If you do a lot of stop and go and still want to be darn quick, get the auto. It will be way more boring at times, but it is sure easier!
And forget thinking the paddles will make up for the stick feeling, I find they are only useful for gearing down on hills in drive, as sport mode will do it as good as you will most any way you drive. Have fun!

jay gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2000 Camaro Z28, 2010 Challanger RT Classic
Ok, a little history. We live on a mountain with lots of switchbacks to get down to ground level.
Wife drives a 2010 6 spd Challenger, and I drive 2000 6 spd. Camaro. Coming off the mountain we're usually in 5th or 4th gear on the straights and in 3rd on the curves.
Now we also have a 2018 A10 Gt.
When driving down the hill in D, when we use he paddles to down shift one gear it's instant. But when paddling several gears lower there is a delay with what feels like free wheeling before the car slows down. And it will automatically up shift as the speed increases.
However when shifted in S the down shifting is instant. And it stays in gear. We're still learning how to drive this A10. It only has under 200 miles on it. There still seems to be some learning going in the CPU or what ever it's called

Sponsored

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Meh...more importantly you need to buy for your needs. It sounds like about 75/25 for the auto. This is also taking into account how awesome autos in the Mustangs are these days and that you're getting the ecoboost. If you want the thrill of the manual you probably wouldn't be getting the ecoboost in the first place. This won't be your last Mustang, I say go eco/auto then later when you are ready get a GT and revisit your manual/auto dilemma.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Ok, a little history. We live on a mountain with lots of switchbacks to get down to ground level.
Wife drives a 2010 6 spd Challenger, and I drive 2000 6 spd. Camaro. Coming off the mountain we're usually in 5th or 4th gear on the straights and in 3rd on the curves.
Now we also have a 2018 A10 Gt.
When driving down the hill in D, when we use he paddles to down shift one gear it's instant. But when paddling several gears lower there is a delay with what feels like free wheeling before the car slows down. And it will automatically up shift as the speed increases.
However when shifted in S the down shifting is instant. And it stays in gear. We're still learning how to drive this A10. It only has under 200 miles on it. There still seems to be some learning going in the CPU or what ever it's called
That fits with what the owner's manual say. Putting the car in S will give you full control. It recommends S for mountain type driving.

OP
OP
DL109er

DL109er

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thevalleylocal.net
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB Premium+ Lightning Blue 6spd Pony
Meh...more importantly you need to buy for your needs. It sounds like about 75/25 for the auto. This is also taking into account how awesome autos in the Mustangs are these days and that you're getting the ecoboost. If you want the thrill of the manual you probably wouldn't be getting the ecoboost in the first place. This won't be your last Mustang, I say go eco/auto then later when you are ready get a GT and revisit your manual/auto dilemma.
That summarizes exactly where I'm at. I consider this my first Mustang, and a replacement for a daily driver/commuter car my wife and I both need to be able to use.

That said, more and more I suspect that - someday - I'll be getting myself a car purely and exclusively for fun driving/weekends. THAT Mustang will have manual transmission and a V8 under the hood (assuming they're still producing both by then . . .)

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The MT82 is not really that bad in my opinion. You get used to it just as you would get used to any other car that has a manual. The newer MT82s in the 2018s are a bit more refined than the ones in the 15-17, there have been some upgrades but to be honest I donā€™t really notice it too much. I would still suggest buying a clutch spring assist to get a better clutch feel, I havenā€™t done that yet.

BUT

There is one big thing that seems to be a problem for a few of us here on the forums, and thatā€™s the weird noise that you get when shifting at higher rpms. During hard launches or aggressive driving w/ aggressive shifting, some of us get a weird metallic screaming noiseā€¦itā€™s not a grinding noise because I know how that sounds/feel like. It doesnā€™t happen during normal driving either. I am thinking itā€™s a bad batch because not all 2018 6speed owners have it, but like 5 of us do. Thatā€™s really my only gripe with the new transmission, other than that itā€™s fine. I know that there are some problems reported with the A10 also but I donā€™t know what it is.

I cannot speak for the A10 because I have never drove one but based on what people are saying, itā€™s fantastic. The A10 is going to be faster than the MT so thatā€™s that. In some ways I do wish I got an A10 but I know that if I didā€¦..I would miss rowing my own gears and I would have wished I got the MT, to me itā€™s almost therapeutic to drive stick shift (weird I know but who cares). MT also keeps me on my toes and more alert.

I would say get the A10 if you are looking to do some serious drag racing and stoplight racing.
I would say get the MT if you are using it as a daily driver.
Both are fast anyway, itā€™s not like you can really go wrong with any of them.

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had the intention of buying a manual this time around as a fun street car. I've had both an MT82 and 6r80 car in the past. I test drove the new 10spd though and ended up driving home with it. Not sure how many dealerships will let you test out the Drag Strip Mode but if they will give it a shot, the power thru the shifts surprised me.

I'm sure there will be times I wish I had gotten a manual, but in my short time with the car this auto is lots of fun on the street.
Sponsored