Sponsored

2018 powered steering overheating ?

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else noticed on the 2018 Mustang that during longer steering efforts in longer bends that the steering feel seems to change without moving the steering wheel. In general the steering can sometimes feel different mid turn, like it's dynamically changing the required effort to turn the wheel. I for one hate cars that do this kinda stuff unless it's seamless. The lane keeping system was off in these instances. The change is only slight but noticeable and annoying.

I did read in the manual that in order to maintain the powered steering temperature from getting too high the car will increase the steering effort if you are doing continiuous steering. According to the dutch manual they say it's when you hold a certain steering angle for longer periods so on highway ramps or roundabouts, while the US seems to suggest it does this when you are asking a lot from the powered steering as in "spirited" driving. The manual also says the powered steering has adapative learning based on the road conditions, so it might just be the learning system that's a bit sensitive with just 1100 miles, so it might just be that.

There is no way to monitor the temperature I think but if this systems is cutting back powered steering pre-maturely to ensure it'll always be as cool as possible it's kinda a big hinderance. It was like 90 ish (30+ celsius) last few weeks but every other car I have ever driven with electric powered steering never did this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Hadn't noticed, but I also have only 300 miles in on mine and most of that is just normal DD stuff. I am aiming to a bit of casual driving this weekend. Started to last weekend, but I 1/2 my TPMS sensors went offline; I suspect because the tire pressures went over 40 on those tires; I've since dropped it to 33PSI and not a lick of trouble since, but, again just daily commute which is < 15 miles at a time.