2018 Performance Pack - A big step BACKWARDS

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if Pilot Sport Cup 2's would close that gap to the 1LE? The Camaro has fairly aggressive tires. Though I'm just happy the PP finally has something more than those P Zeroes.
Yes it would be FAR closer/right there with SC2's, though you'd need the GT350 wheel & tire sizes at a minimum.

I almost feel like the whole point of the PP was to beat the normal Camaro, it comes with 275 summers standard.
:thumbsup:
Sponsored

my03mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru BRZ, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Yes it would be FAR closer/right there with SC2's, though you'd need the GT350 wheel & tire sizes at a minimum.

:thumbsup:
That's what I thought.

Honestly I thought the GT would be slightly less than it is now and with the PP pack would be the price of the base Camaro new. But with the PP going up so much and needing at least 301A kind of killed that chance. Granted I would take a normal GT over an SS any day but the 1LE is just so well priced for what it is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I thought.

Honestly I thought the GT would be slightly less than it is now and with the PP pack would be the price of the base Camaro new. But with the PP going up so much and needing at least 301A kind of killed that chance. Granted I would take a normal GT over an SS any day but the 1LE is just so well priced for what it is.
Yes. They've created a problem that didn't exist before with respect to the 1SS 1LE.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Magna ride
recaro Seats
8 speed auto
$49,550

2018 Mustang GT Premium
Track Pack
Magna Ride
Recaro seats
10 speed auto
$49,770

Am i missing something? Otherwise these look to be priced pretty much the same
Those combination are not available. Specifically you can't get the auto with the 1LE and you can't get Recaros without going premium. The best comparison would be a 1SS 1LE 6 speed with no other options to a GTPP + magnaride and no other options other than mandatory 301A

1SS1LE - $44495
GTPP+Mag - $43696

So yea, pretty close, but the SS1LE gets you bigger tires/rims/4xBrembo/HUD/Recaros. If Ford's goal was to match the Camaro price, mission success. The problem is they are not selling all that well (not bad, but not great). It's not like there is a waiting list and they are selling before they hit the lots like a Subaru.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
"Go buy a camaro."
:clap2:
Can't for two reasons: (1) for my tastes, the Camaro interior looks terrible and I can't figure out how to drive with my eyes closed, (2) My son is an engineer at Ford. As an ATS owner, I would prefer the Camaro chassis over the Mustang even if its the inferior Alpha PLUS but the chassis is nowhere near enough better to offset the interior and family loyalty.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Those combination are not available. Specifically you can't get the auto with the 1LE and you can't get Recaros without going premium. The best comparison would be a 1SS 1LE 6 speed with no other options to a GTPP + magnaride and no other options other than mandatory 301A

1SS1LE - $44495
GTPP+Mag - $43696

So yea, pretty close, but the SS1LE gets you bigger tires/rims/4xBrembo/HUD/Recaros. If Ford's goal was to match the Camaro price, mission success. The problem is they are not selling all that well (not bad, but not great). It's not like there is a waiting list and they are selling before they hit the lots like a Subaru.
And active/dual mode exhaust. To get all the big-ticket features (brakes, wheels & tires, mag ride, exhaust, recaros) on the Mustang, you're at $50k, but with narrower wheels, narrower and less grippy tires. Of importance to at least a good chunk of the people who would consider a 1LE, it has adjustablle camber plates and rear sway bar for the track. On the plus side for the Mustang, you can see out of it, and the interior is better. The exterior is much closer now with the '18 front end.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
The camaro performs well that's for sure, but it has to step back in the ring for a re match with the refreshed Stang. It will be interesting.

My opinion is that the camaro is a little too transformerish and juvenile for my age. Plus I don't fit in it well and the visibility issue. The new Mustang looks more sophisticated and classy.

As far as mustang pricing, I optioned mine out with all the big ticket items and came in low- mid 40's. I didn't get the LCD dash as you had to bundle 401a in and I don't want it that bad.
Plus I didn't get all the safety nannies and security. My wife's 3.6r Subaru has all that and it is for her and our long road trips in any weather. She won't be driving the mustang as she doesn't drive manual.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The camaro performs well that's for sure, but it has to step back in the ring for a re match with the refreshed Stang. It will be interesting.

My opinion is that the camaro is a little too transformerish and juvenile for my age. Plus I don't fit in it well and the visibility issue. The new Mustang looks more sophisticated and classy.

As far as mustang pricing, I optioned mine out with all the big ticket items and came in low- mid 40's. I didn't get the LCD dash as you had to bundle 401a in and I don't want it that bad.
Plus I didn't get all the safety nannies and security. My wife's 3.6r Subaru has all that and it is for her and our long road trips in any weather. She won't be driving the mustang as she doesn't drive manual.
Completely agree on the looks. I don't desire it for the looks like I did my car. It'd be much easier to not care about if it wasn't so good. If the Camaro wasn't so cartoon-ish and had comparable sight lines/usable space, it'd be a much tougher sales game. My fear is that with the new car's pricing, those things won't be enough of a detractor to prevent it from taking the lead (albeit I don't think by the margins Mustang had in 2015, 2016 and this year).

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I wonder if Pilot Sport Cup 2's would close that gap to the 1LE? The Camaro has fairly aggressive tires. Though I'm just happy the PP finally has something more than those P Zeroes.

I almost feel like the whole point of the PP was to beat the normal Camaro, it comes with 275 summers standard.
the Ps4s tires are going to be way better than the crappy Pzero's , i have the same thing you guys do and they royally suck. That being said the goodyear supercar 3 tires the 1le uses are no joke, they are leaps and bounds more sticky and better than the michelins. i dont think the gt will be able to compete with the 1le but i hope i am wrong

Sponsored

my03mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru BRZ, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST
I still think the Mustang is an excellent option against the Camaro, besides some weird packaging. Even if the price is higher. Though it does kill a huge advantage the Mustang had.

If one does want ultimate performance for the price though the 1LE is tough to beat as much as I hate to admit it. That's a big deal to someone who wants the fastest car their money can buy. It's not like the 1LE is unbeatable however. If one is really serious about tracking they are probably getting more aggressive tires for their GT PP anyway. But people love to have bragging rights.

Either way it'll be very interesting to see how the sales battle plays out over the next few years. The Camaro is due for a refresh soon which may or may not shake things up more.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Go buy a camaro.
Would have bought a camaro if the v8 wasn't $5,000 more. Now that they're the same price, and if I had known that my motor would have blew up at 5k miles, I would have waited and got a camaro. Tired of giving Ford money for shit service and quality

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
A step backwards?

Some of the '17's Performance Pack is now standard. This is how a model progresses.

So far, the Mustang is the cheapest and best option on the market. If you can suffer the Camaro's styling, quality and higher MSRP, it is an option. As far as real Racing goes, anything with a Full Size wheelbase is pretty much fubar. The '16-'17 SS required an output advantage in order to be successful in racing.

For a mass production vehicle, you get Corvette power for Mustang money. Even the Camaro historically doesn't match the Corvette.

First time in HISTORY a Mustang GT has the same output while only weighing 250lbs more than the C7. I don't see how the massive leaps in progression is backwards.

A base 2018 GT with its extra power could be just as fast as the outgoing GTPP. In fact, that is very likely. If EVERYONE optioned a Performance Pack or a Premium '17 anyway, why not make yesterdays options standard? An '18 GTPP1 or GTPP2 are faster cars.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Wasn't the percentage of 15-17 GT's sold/ordered pretty much with the Performance Pack as opposed to without it? Could have sworn that is what I read somewhere, that even Ford was suprised that package sold as well as it did.

So if that is true, wouldn't it only make sense to raise the price on it (from a bean counter point of view lol).
Sponsored