Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Redline - 7400 or 7500?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Momentum. Put the car in fifth and roll it down a steep hill with no throttle and you'll log 9500rpm. Redline is still 7400rpm.
I don't autocross over cliffs or even steep downhills. Therefore the car won't accelerate to a higher rpm/mph without engine power. :)

Anyway for anyone who might care:)

What actually happened in my previous 2012, 2015, and current 2018 GT's based on "on the rev limiter data" is that the PCM rev limiter reduces throttle percentage until the rpm drops "slightly" and then adds throttle as needed to "hold" rpm at/near the "rev limit" until the stupid driver finally lifts. :)

In the run where OBD data shows 7530 rpm max rev limiter action started at 7510 rpm when the throttle dropped from 100 percent down to about 30 percent and rpm dropped to about 7250 in about 0.2 seconds after the rpm reached 7510. Then it went up to 7530 in about another 0.2 seconds. Then it dropped to and stayed close to 7500 for another 0.3 seconds before I lifted. Longitudinal acceleration dropped to nominally zero within about 0.1 second from when the PCM rev limiter initially started reducing the throttle percentage at 7510 rpm and then stayed there until I lifted.

Note that with my 2015 GTPP (manual of course) rev limiting in second gear usually started between 6800 and 6900 rpm. I'm not sure it ever hit the "advertised" 7000 rpm "redline" but it did get into the mid 6900's sometimes.

:)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....Point is the redline is 7500 rpm. Period.
Do you happen to be employed by Ford, Mr 7500? I note that you own seven of the blue ovals finest any you're quite keen to swallow the company line.

The redline is 7400rpm, dictated by OEM software and backed up by the bright red line clearly visible on every 2018-2019 Mustang GT digital dash.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
If you hold it in gear, it smacks right into a rev limiter. I've done it a few times.

The difference being a hard limiter, 7500, and a situational limiter of 7350 based on temps.
An auto shifting at 7400 isn't a redline, its a shift point. In manual mode I have hit higher than 7400 rpm. The trans has no ability, when held in a certain gear to stop the engine from over revving, down shift a manual, see what happens.
And again, the manuals don't have said protection. Point is the redline is 7500 rpm. Period.
My original assumption when I was messing with mine was the temp based were situational, as you stated. For example I assumed that until you hit one of the three temperature thresholds the corresponding temp based rev limit would not be active and it would use the one listed to the left. I was wrong though as I was NOT at any of the temps in the 1st row. It appears the first row is from infinity to that temp break point, at least in my findings. I guess I could always re scale the temperature to a lower number and see if my theory is correct? Getting close to parking for winter though so that will likely have to wait. On a side tuning note, it would be kind of useful to re scale the temp based rev limit so that the rev limit is reduced until the car is at operating temperature. Be a nice Valet type feature...getting totally off topic however.

Main thing is we are talking 100 rpm difference in the conversation. At the end of the day it is kind of silly to argue over 100 rpm. This stuff happens so fast that you really aren't going to notice much difference in all reality.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to add that is somewhat related. These cars have A LOT of limiters in them. Load, Torque, rpm, temperature etc. So if your hitting what you think is a rev limiter you could actually be hitting a tq or load limit.

OP
OP
Jimmy G

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
....Main thing is we are talking 100 rpm difference in the conversation. At the end of the day it is kind of silly to argue over 100 rpm. This stuff happens so fast that you really aren't going to notice much difference in all reality.
First up, let me remind people that I don't own a Mustang (yet). I started this conversation as it appeared odd to me that Ford engineers had spread rumors of a 7500rpm redline when the cluster clearly showed a 7400rpm limit. The 2018 (yes, 2018) Mustang has only just landed here. I don't have my own Mustang to experiment with and I'm not "dying on a hill" to win an argument.

This thread has uncovered some good info. It hasn't been the waste of time that some thought it was. We got the answer and I'm happy about that.

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Do you happen to be employed by Ford, Mr 7500? I note that you own seven of the blue ovals finest any you're quite keen to swallow the company line.

The redline is 7400rpm, dictated by OEM software and backed up by the bright red line clearly visible on every 2018-2019 Mustang GT digital dash.

I don't work for ford. I work for the navy.

I own blue ovals, I also have owned many other cars, I don't swallow any company line
2013 S4, 2013 WRX, 2005 CTS-V, 2010 and 2015 Tahoe, Hyundai, Hondas.
the digital dash may appear to be 7400, but the analog dash isn't.

Cornbinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Velocity Blue (460 HP) '78 Lincoln (460 CID
Mine shows 7400 also, no matter which gauge configuration is selected. I haven’t seen the “needle” go above it, but it may, I’m usually not looking at the tach at that point lol
I don't wind it out all the way all that often, but when I do, I also tend to be a bit busy when I hit the rev limiter to notice the count. What I DO notice is at that point the gauge illumination goes red - driving lights on or off.
My '19 GT replaced a C5 Corvette, and in the 10 years I had that, I never even wanted to consider taking that pushrod LS to redline. It was fine with being fat-dumb, and lazy below 3k. With the Yodel-Puppy V8, it begs me to wind it up.
Sponsored