2018 Intake manifold question

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I cant see any real performance benefit to getting rid of them. From what i've seen its hardly mythical, but it is measurable. It just simplifies things for the tuner.
No, definitely no performance benefit to locking them out, but it certainly makes it simpler/easier not only for the tuner, but the install itself. Given the lack of daily driving impact, it isn't something people should worry about. You're also spending $75 more for the harnesses. To each their own, but this is something I was quite worried about with the manifold install as people started doing this late '17/early '18, but now having it on my daily-driven car for 6 months, realize it was nothing.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I cant see any real performance benefit to getting rid of them. From what i've seen its hardly mythical, but it is measurable. It just simplifies things for the tuner.
Some people have functioning IMRCs with 18 manifold, some have had issues. Sure, there is no performance benefit to deleting them. But is it simpler for the tuner? That might be debatable.

When I did mine Lund told me to delete them and even went as far as saying they wouldn't tune it if I kept them. And at this point they already had full instructions for the IMRC wiring/harness and the manifold install - so that means they knew what was entailed and recommended me to delete them anyway. Just saying.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
No just buy a plug and play harness, see link for where i bought mine from. I also agree with others to get the LU47 injectors at same time as well, otherwise you will need a retune if you ever decide later and i think it will cost more. Also i would get your state inspection before you start doing all this to give you time to work the kinks out if its coming soon. As for tune files, don't be shy and ask for a few of them, Lund gave me a flex tune(91-93 or E85) with all ecu/module checks disabled, another flex tune with all ecu/module checks enabled (needed when you swap back your cats if removed for inspection time, im on stock cats still), e85 tune an 85R (strictly e85 tune). I mentioned the two flex tunes because im in texas and they are pretty strict in my area about not letting you get inspected when things like O2 sensers, cat check, evap checks, misfire checks are all disabled.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LFP-PLUG-PLAY-CMCV-HARNESSES-2018-GT-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-ON-15-17-GT-MUSTANG-NEW/392139338936?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I got the plug and play harnesses directly from VMP. I'll grab a set of LU47 injectors most likely then. Yeah, swapping injectors really isn't bad.

I just got my O2/HO2 stuff to post ready on my Lund 93 octane tune with O2 spacers on my catted ARH headers. I plan on telling them to keep that stuff active regardless. There's no reason I can't run with those on with just an intake manifold swap. I'll probably grab one with O2's on and off in case the P0420 code decides to show it's ugly face.

For where I am in Texas, I think you're good to pass with 2 red. Any more than 2 red on the test, you fail.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No, definitely no performance benefit to locking them out, but it certainly makes it simpler/easier not only for the tuner, but the install itself. Given the lack of daily driving impact, it isn't something people should worry about. You're also spending $75 more for the harnesses. To each their own, but this is something I was quite worried about with the manifold install as people started doing this late '17/early '18, but now having it on my daily-driven car for 6 months, realize it was nothing.
+1. It isn't something you miss. More hassle than it's worth if you ask me.

Vroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yea i can see how it would simplify install to do so, as the info out there is somewhat lacking in complete form. there is definitely a wrong way to route vacuum.
Some people have functioning IMRCs with 18 manifold, some have had issues. Sure, there is no performance benefit to deleting them. But is it simpler for the tuner? That might be debatable.

When I did mine Lund told me to delete them and even went as far as saying they wouldn't tune it if I kept them. And at this point they already had full instructions for the IMRC wiring/harness and the manifold install - so that means they knew what was entailed and recommended me to delete them anyway. Just saying.
Wow, well Lund was my tuner as well and recommended that i do the same, but they never gave me any shit about keeping them and they work fine. Might just be me but i think people are not routing vacuum lines right, can't see the reasoning why some have the problem and others don't besides that, vacuum leaks, or a bad wiring on plug-N-play harnesses, its not that complicated of a device to get different results if you think about it.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yea i can see how it would simplify install to do so, as the info out there is somewhat lacking in complete form. there is definitely a wrong way to route vacuum.
This is certainly true, IMRCs active or not! I have put together a few posts helping simplify this on various threads. Probably should be a sticky...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Wow, well Lund was my tuner as well and recommended that i do the same, but they never gave me any shit about keeping them and they work fine. Might just be me but i think people are not routing vacuum lines right, can't see the reasoning why some have the problem and others don't besides that, vacuum leaks, or a bad wiring on plug-N-play harnesses, its not that complicated of a device to get different results if you think about it.
Ahh I see. Maybe Lund's thoughts on tuning the IMRCs active has changed as more people want to keep them and the plug'n'play harnesses are more readily available. I think the knowledge has been there for awhile as far as what voltage the PCM wants to see. I would certainly like to have them as opposed to not.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Ahh I see. Maybe Lund's thoughts on tuning the IMRCs active has changed as more people want to keep them and the plug'n'play harnesses are more readily available. I think the knowledge has been there for awhile as far as what voltage the PCM wants to see. I would certainly like to have them as opposed to not.
Guess I'll find out how much of a pain in the ass it really is here soon, but I can't seem to get the lower half of the stock airbox because the air duct piece is backordered with no ETA on delivery. Going to be hard to install a Steeda closed intake without it... Really wish they'd have done their own molding for the bottom part.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Guess I'll find out how much of a pain in the ass it really is here soon, but I can't seem to get the lower half of the stock airbox because the air duct piece is backordered with no ETA on delivery. Going to be hard to install a Steeda closed intake without it... Really wish they'd have done their own molding for the bottom part.
1. Do you have E85 in your area? You don't want to ever go to flex fuel tune?
2. I had the Steeda CAI for the 15-17 cars. I hated it. It reused the factory airbox and it never fit right. For $350?! It was a rip-off. I eventually tossed it and got a JLT a love it. Still using it with my 18 manifold. Hope your experience is better.
Not meant to troll just me venting. lol

Do you already have the Steeda closed box intake?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
1. Do you have E85 in your area? You don't want to ever go to flex fuel tune?
2. I had the Steeda CAI for the 15-17 cars. I hated it. It reused the factory airbox and it never fit right. For $350?! It was a rip-off. I eventually tossed it and got a JLT a love it. Still using it with my 18 manifold. Hope your experience is better.
Not meant to troll just me venting. lol

Do you already have the Steeda closed box intake?
Yeah, I have it boxed up just sitting and waiting. The fact that it's this difficult to obtain the two stock pieces I need is tempting me to call up JLT and have them paint a 2018 JLT CAI in Grabber Blue and just call it a day. That was my second option even if it is an open one.

E85 is available but limited stations have it. I know of one that's about 10 miles from me that has it.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yeah, I have it boxed up just sitting and waiting. The fact that it's this difficult to obtain the two stock pieces I need is tempting me to call up JLT and have them paint a 2018 JLT CAI in Grabber Blue and just call it a day. That was my second option even if it is an open one.

E85 is available but limited stations have it. I know of one that's about 10 miles from me that has it.
Oh okay I see. A JLT to match your paint color would be pretty badass IMHO. I'm not meaning to push the FF tune on you (ok, maybe I am, we will call it strongly suggesting lol) but if you are getting tuned anyway it's pretty much FREE hp. How else can you get 10-15 hp/tq minimum for basically nothing? And should make a bigger difference being that the new manifold will flow a lot more air. With 18 manifold I wouldn't surprised for you to make very similar crank HP to a GT350 if not past it, especially with your catted headers.

Just as aside, I've had many people stop me at the gas station seeing me put in E85. They ask me what mods I had to do to make it run E85, and when I told them all I needed was the tune, they were very surprised. Lol
Food for thought that's all. Won't say anything more about it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Oh okay I see. A JLT to match your paint color would be pretty badass IMHO. I'm not meaning to push the FF tune on you (ok, maybe I am, we will call it strongly suggesting lol) but if you are getting tuned anyway it's pretty much FREE hp. How else can you get 10-15 hp/tq minimum for basically nothing? And should make a bigger difference being that the new manifold will flow a lot more air. With 18 manifold I wouldn't surprised for you to make very similar crank HP to a GT350 if not past it, especially with your catted headers.

Just as aside, I've had many people stop me at the gas station seeing me put in E85. They ask me what mods I had to do to make it run E85, and when I told them all I needed was the tune, they were very surprised. Lol
Food for thought that's all. Won't say anything more about it.
Dammit, you are now throwing more options on the table for me to do! Lol.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1