Sponsored

2018 GT350 no crank issue - is it the starter?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just curious, where it’s currently parked, have you tried starting it with the starter for kicks? Also, congrats on your first “pop the clutch” start. Wasn’t it fun?!?! :)

You definitely need a new starter. If it makes you feel any better, guys like me and @honeybadger who’ve gone through multiple starters in a relatively short amount of time tend to track the car hard. The heat cycles from track duty have a tendency to kill the starter faster than usual.
I think vibrations is what took mine out. I disassembled the last two I broke and discovered leads were so frayed that they couldn't connect anymore. My suspicion is they vibrated so bad that the leads frayed.

Track use only - so could be different on a street-driven car.

IMG_1559.jpeg
IMG_1558.jpeg
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
It's fairly easy to swap the starter, but depends on how mechanical you are. If not under warranty, I'd DIY or at least get a few quotes on the job...

I recall it taking more time to figure out what combination of extensions to use to get to the bolts than to actually remove/reinstall it.

OP
OP

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
It's fairly easy to swap the starter, but depends on how mechanical you are. If not under warranty, I'd DIY or at least get a few quotes on the job...

I recall it taking more time to figure out what combination of extensions to use to get to the bolts than to actually remove/reinstall it.
I am mechanically inclined but have limited time for the next 3 weeks . . . And it would have to be done in an apartment complex parking lot! I will search for some writeups to assess. I have been told by keyboard warrior mechanics the exhaust has to come off.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I did it 3 times... i have a lift, but i just did it in the driveway in less time... jack up pass side & support with a jack stand, remove front right wheel, and nothing else is in the way assuming you have tools that will get to the bolts in question.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Agreed with @jmn444. I replaced 2 of them in the track pits with only jackstands. Just have lots of different extensions, universal joints, flexible ratchet, and some deep/shallow sockets.

Sponsored

OP
OP

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Agreed with @jmn444. I replaced 2 of them in the track pits with only jackstands. Just have lots of different extensions, universal joints, flexible ratchet, and some deep/shallow sockets.
I am wondering if it would be easier to use ramps? Either way I'd need to get stands or ramps beforehand, don't have those at the moment.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I am wondering if it would be easier to use ramps? Either way I'd need to get stands or ramps beforehand, don't have those at the moment.
It's best to take the tire off. So I suggest jacks

OP
OP

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
It's best to take the tire off. So I suggest jacks
Understood. I'm going to try to talk to someone at the dealership beforehand to see if they'll work with me, i.e. just replace the starter and dispense with other diagnostics. I doubt they'll bite but I am hoping maybe that indicates I'm not a (complete) idiot that they can take for a ride, and that I'll take my business elsewhere no problem if they're going to try to screw me.

I'm going to actually put eyes on the starter tomorrow to assess whether I can get this done myself (and hit it a bit to see if that helps) . . . I found a part number of DL3459S for a Duralast reman starter and
FR3Z-11002-D for an OEM, which would be my preference. Any thoughts from those who have been through multiple starters?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I can’t speak for others, but I wouldn‘t buy a reman’d unit from Autozone. I‘ve had more issue’s with there stuff then all others combined over the years. Less so with the reman’d then the rebuilt but not by much. If your going reman’d go oem. If you go that route and the dealer installs it its covered for labor as well. One thing to consider if your not doing the labor yourself is most shops(at least the smart ones) will not install a customer supplied part like a starter.

Understood. I'm going to try to talk to someone at the dealership beforehand to see if they'll work with me, i.e. just replace the starter and dispense with other diagnostics. I doubt they'll bite but I am hoping maybe that indicates I'm not a (complete) idiot that they can take for a ride, and that I'll take my business elsewhere no problem if they're going to try to screw me.

I'm going to actually put eyes on the starter tomorrow to assess whether I can get this done myself (and hit it a bit to see if that helps) . . . I found a part number of DL3459S for a Duralast reman starter and
FR3Z-11002-D for an OEM, which would be my preference. Any thoughts from those who have been through multiple starters?

OP
OP

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Small update: I was able to look under the car at the starter (as much as possible with it not up on jacks). There is definitely a wire that is dangling that doesn't look like it should be dangling. It's not the cap . . . It's this thing.
PXL_20230813_000713678~2.jpg
I can see it pretty clearly hanging down. No idea if it broke off of something or if it's just a simple re-attach. One step closer! If I find out it is a simple reattach I am definitely going to get some ramps or stands and do that myself.

Sponsored

jpowl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 w/ 2019 engine, E36M3, R56 Mini-S, E53 X5iS
Just had my starter replaced under warranty. Started died the afternoon of day2 of track event at Mid-O.

OP
OP

edunn14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well, took it in because life happened and no other shops could get to it earlier. Dealer sent these pics, looks like I was right. Bolt snapped off

Screenshot_20230817-111626.png
Screenshot_20230817-111617.png

Thanks to all who chimed in. Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone in the future. But I at least wanted to provide a resolution in case people look at this thread later.

km1075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 C63s, 2020 GT350 HEP
I might be crazy, but on startup, I recently started here some odd clicks (I think). Seeing this thread is making me think it's a starter that's about to go bad? See the video, anyone else hear those three "clicks" that occur before the engine starts?

Sponsored