Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'd probably get another stang if BB is approved and cross my fingers and hope I get one that doesn't tap, rattle and roll... I'll make sure to tell the dealer that on my order form, I'll take the one without metal in the oil.
If mine starts to go, and I ended up with a buy-back, I doubt I would touch another mustang until the issue was explained in fine detail and guaranteed to be resolved. It is really disappointing hearing of so many engine replacements and buy-backs. This isn't the Ford I loved back when I bought my S197. That said, mine still runs great, despite the annoying rattle. I am just going to keep pushing it and enjoying what she gives.

I am still shocked there hasn't been a TSB released. When the 3rd gen Yote first hit the markets, the excuse was that the forum only represented a small number of owners, and that the people with tick and rattle were in the minority. Here we are a year later, and I am seeing complaints everywhere about it. Multiple part and engine replacements, yet nothing seems to permanently fix it. I know my quality department would be in a panic if they had so many dealer claims. Either Ford can't find a fix for the issue, or the warranty costs aren't high enough yet for them to care.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looks like we need a separate thread for this seemingly common noise. So we now have BBQ tick, 2000-2500 rpm rattle, and decel scraping/rattle noise.
Well, I think I solved the decel scraping noise. On my car it started right when I picked up my car after getting the clutch AND flywheel replaced. I'm pretty certain when you pull your foot off the gas pedal, the flywheel shifts slightly and rubs the starter for a split second.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Well, I think I solved the decel scraping noise. On my car it started right when I picked up my car after getting the clutch AND flywheel replaced. I'm pretty certain when you pull your foot off the gas pedal, the flywheel shifts slightly and rubs the starter for a split second.

My car has that noise but its an auto though..

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Mine also has the decel/rattling noise, auto transmission, I thought it might have been the active exhaust valve rattling?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine also has the decel/rattling noise, auto transmission, I thought it might have been the active exhaust valve rattling?
I have the auto but dont have active exhaust but I have the rattle when cold. It may be going down though im not entirely sure.

Sponsored

LakerStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After holding out for the last 2 months I finally dropped the car off at my dealership last night. I tried explain all the issues and how to replicate the engine tick and all I got was yeah yeah yeah they’ll check it out. Luckily I have them that Gotham Ems list regarding the tick.

Not confident they are going to find or do anything. I told them to change the oil too and literally took the paper and wrote 10 quarts of oil not 8 for a 2018.

On top of the ticking sound my 10r80 has been shifting rough. Up shifting between 4&5 and downshifting between 4&3 and 3&1. Sometimes when I put the car into reverse it lunges back. Never did expect to deal with issues like this 4 months into a brand new car.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot handle Ford's incompetence and "acceptable" error tolerances. Looking into a 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (lease).
MasterGGM, dont missunderstand me please. first of all, cheers from Europe! Italian cars are all over the Place here. So please think again buying a Italian Car.
They are beautiful for sure. And the Alfa Romeo Giulia Cars are so hot, they are banned from ice skating rinks and ski slopes because they are a liability.

But just like a beautiful hot 25 year old italian Girl in Lingerie you must know , that Giulia can be a Bitch.

You Need to take much care of her. She is expensive too. Take much care. Or she wont let you ride her. She meight not even let you in her. Seriously.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
After holding out for the last 2 months I finally dropped the car off at my dealership last night. I tried explain all the issues and how to replicate the engine tick and all I got was yeah yeah yeah they’ll check it out. Luckily I have them that Gotham Ems list regarding the tick.

Not confident they are going to find or do anything. I told them to change the oil too and literally took the paper and wrote 10 quarts of oil not 8 for a 2018.

On top of the ticking sound my 10r80 has been shifting rough. Up shifting between 4&5 and downshifting between 4&3 and 3&1. Sometimes when I put the car into reverse it lunges back. Never did expect to deal with issues like this 4 months into a brand new car.
Good luck with getting the issues sorted. My 2018 GT 10r80 has the same issues you mentioned. I have had the car for 10 months and 17,XXX miles now and it really sucks to have to deal with these issues.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
MasterGGM, dont missunderstand me please. first of all, cheers from Europe! Italian cars are all over the Place here. So please think again buying a Italian Car.
They are beautiful for sure. And the Alfa Romeo Giulia Cars are so hot, they are banned from ice skating rinks and ski slopes because they are a liability.

But just like a beautiful hot 25 year old italian Girl in Lingerie you must know , that Giulia can be a Bitch.

You Need to take much care of her. She is expensive too. Take much care. Or she wont let you ride her. She meight not even let you in her. Seriously.
He's leasing it, not buying it.

LakerStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good luck with getting the issues sorted. My 2018 GT 10r80 has the same issues you mentioned. I have had the car for 10 months and 17,XXX miles now and it really sucks to have to deal with these issues.
Thanks man. I hope the tranny issue is something that can be fixed with some computer reprogramming. It’s weird sometimes you can really feel and other times not so much. But coming to a stop on red light is not fun.

The engine who the hell knows.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Thanks man. I hope the tranny issue is something that can be fixed with some computer reprogramming. It’s weird sometimes you can really feel and other times not so much. But coming to a stop on red light is not fun.

The engine who the hell knows.
You are right. The transmission can most probably be fixed via software update. I read a post a couple of days ago here talking about the Ford tech reducing the line pressure for the A10 and that made the upshifts smooth in D as well as the downshifts. Hopefully you and I can get a tech willing to work with us and get this sorted. The car did not do this for the first 7-8 thousand miles and then one day I noticed how hard it would shift from 4-5 in ALL modes except DRAG MODE. Go figure lol

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are right. The transmission can most probably be fixed via software update. I read a post a couple of days ago here talking about the Ford tech reducing the line pressure for the A10 and that made the upshifts smooth in D as well as the downshifts. Hopefully you and I can get a tech willing to work with us and get this sorted. The car did not do this for the first 7-8 thousand miles and then one day I noticed how hard it would shift from 4-5 in ALL modes except DRAG MODE. Go figure lol
Ive also noticed my 4-5 shift is more firm than the others most of the time but especially when cold, odd

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
So after 500km with my new engine, i heared today some rattle @1500rpm again. When the enigine is hot, there is no rattle.
I*m a little bit scared, will it be more worse and get the second engine?

I'm sad and angry!!!!!!