Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I found the cause. It's either this guy or Aliens, cuz I'm all out of ideas.

neca-ultimate-stripe.png
i am actually serious. that fequ3ncy is not engine speed frequency.

flywheel is in the rear, starter is in the rear on engine side.

is it on the different side on right hand drive vehicles?

could be starter gear hitting flywheel
Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Might as well throw mine in the loop too. Be sure to fast forward to around 1:28 and listen to a slight engine rev. sounds kinda nasty to me.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
i am actually serious. that fequ3ncy is not engine speed frequency.

flywheel is in the rear, starter is in the rear on engine side.

is it on the different side on right hand drive vehicles?

could be starter gear hitting flywheel
That's something I was also thinking about last night as well, because this only started after he replaced the clutch AND the flywheel. That said, I was simply being sarcastic, because I am trying to keep a sense of humor about all this, but it's tough. I'm just running out of ideas. Not only did I have the engine tick, but now this rattling noise when I blip the throttle. It's driving me nuts.

As of right now, it's back at the service center getting tinkered with to try and figure out what the heck the problem is.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
That's something I was also thinking about last night as well, because this only started after he replaced the clutch AND the flywheel. That said, I was simply being sarcastic, because I am trying to keep a sense of humor about all this, but it's tough. I'm just running out of ideas. Not only did I have the engine tick, but now this rattling noise when I blip the throttle. It's driving me nuts.

As of right now, it's back at the service center getting tinkered with to try and figure out what the heck the problem is.
take ceratech and the tick will go. the rattle will stay, but we all have it.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
take ceratech and the tick will go. the rattle will stay, but we all have it.
I did use about half a bottle of Ceratec, and the tick is basically gone. However, during warmup I can also hear a very small amount of "thud" where the tick used to be. The Ceratec is trying to cover it up. But the tick is only on warmup. Once it's warmed up, there is no tick that I can really notice now. That said, the mechanic knows I have the tick (he heard it before), and knows I changed out my oil to a higher 5w30, so he is compensating for that, and still running diagnostics and doing inspections. If nothing is wrong, then screw it, I'm just gonna drive it, and enjoy it.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

ask them to ckeck if starter gear might be related.

it is supposed to be pulled out of flywheel after the engine kicks in.

But if it has some freeplay and hits it, it could be a source of the typewriter tick.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
ask them to ckeck if starter gear might be related.

it is supposed to be pulled out of flywheel after the engine kicks in.

But if it has some freeplay and hits it, it could be a source of the typewriter tick.
I'm certain the starter has nothign to do with the typewriter tick. I changed the oil, and the tick went away. It's definitely internal to the engine.

The rattle however, could definitely be related to the flywheel rubbing the starter, because it started when he replaced the clutch.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I’m pretty sure I have that same rattle. Noticed it today driving next to some buildings - same exact rattle as the videos posted, happens after taking foot off gas after accelerating.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I'm certain the starter has nothign to do with the typewriter tick. I changed the oil, and the tick went away. It's definitely internal to the engine.

The rattle however, could definitely be related to the flywheel rubbing the starter, because it started when he replaced the clutch.
I watched YouTube videos on rod bearing knock, valve lifters and piston slap. None of them sound like the typewriter.

So we should be looking at something unexpected.

Sponsored

MasterGGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I tried ceratec and it seems to have actually worked for the tapping at idle. I only put in half a bottle but the full dose would be 2 bottles for 10qt. I uploaded a video of a cold start after adding the half bottle ceratec and it didnt tap at idle but it made a weird noise when I revved it and let off while cold.

Cold start before ceratec tapping at idle started about 1 min in :

Cold start after adding half bottle ceratec - check out 1 min in, no tap:

anyone know what that weird flutter noise is though when the revs are dropping on the post ceratec vid?

Overall I think after adding ceratec it sounds better. I added some more too since I only had added half a bottle for the video and nothing bad happened.

Mine does the same thing! I thought I was nutts, it sounds like a quick scraping noise when you take the foot off the pedal.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I cannot handle Ford's incompetence and "acceptable" error tolerances. Looking into a 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (lease).
You might want to check out the latest Car And Driver (Nov 2018) page 77 to see how the Alfa is doing on their long term test update where the car has 11,415 miles on it.

" Our Giulia is so often in the custody of our local dealer that we are beginning to feel like divorced parents with limited visitation rights".

It just goes downhill from there.
Sponsored